WC: 2024 Czech team in Prague!

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Wow kudos to Slovaks, now the second place may not be such a big advantage lol
Someone good in our group will draw the US... Nightmare quarter incoming. I already joked I hope it's Canada and not us. Weird to see a young guy like Nemec playing big minutes and scoring in OT. Wish we had a guy like that.... Oh wait

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
Screenshot_2024-05-13-19-20-03-35_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

So we have first loss.

• Wow
Reactions: maclean

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
Kubalik is totally useless (till now). His shooting accuracy this year is soooo poor. Wasted spot on the roster.
All pray for Necas or Pasta 🙏

I love young Spacek on blue line in PP 👍

Last edited:

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
Kubalik is totally useless (till now). His shooting accuracy this year is soooo poor. Wasted spot on the roster.

Yeah I really though he was gonna turn it over in the NT, but no, this year is just disastrous for him.

He is honestly a candidate for a healthy scratch if Necas or Pasta comes.

At least we got a point, at some good constelation it still can give us a second place in the group. Also considering how the Ostrava group is going it may even be more beneficiary to end up third. Nothing can really be stated now, it can go in a lot of ways yet.

I said I want us to have at least 6 points after the first three games, we got it, but scoring only 1 goal (excluding the SO with Finland) again against the strong teams is worrying. Shooters are missing, and offensive Ds are missing. We might get at least one of those two in the next couple of days so lets hope for it.

Now not to screw any of those "easy" games and secure QF before Canada, and then in the QF anything can happens lol.

+ hopefully Jiricek for the PP.
He is not a possibility any more or did I miss something? Earliest he can be eliminated is 23.5. because that stupid AHL playoff format, so thats the day of the QF

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
Yeah I really though he was gonna turn it over in the NT, but no, this year is just disastrous for him.

He is honestly a candidate for a healthy scratch if Necas or Pasta comes.

At least we got a point, at some good constelation it still can give us a second place in the group. Also considering how the Ostrava group is going it may even be more beneficiary to end up third. Nothing can really be stated now, it can go in a lot of ways yet.

I said I want us to have at least 6 points after the first three games, we got it, but scoring only 1 goal (excluding the SO with Finland) again against the strong teams is worrying. Shooters are missing, and offensive Ds are missing. We might get at least one of those two in the next couple of days so lets hope for it.

Now not to screw any of those "easy" games and secure QF before Canada, and then in the QF anything can happens lol.

He is not a possibility any more or did I miss something? Earliest he can be eliminated is 23.5. because that stupid AHL playoff format, so thats the day of the QF
of course, you're right - completely forgot about that.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
So you would close the door to the national team for one of our best forwards, a guy with the potential to be a 1st liner at the Olympics, used to play in the line with our best player (David Pastrňák). And pick a hard working, but still rather average forward like Lauko instead. OK, now that's a weird opinion.
Nobody is closing any doors except Zacha himself by his continued refusal to come and play for the national team. He is not a first liner in my view, as he struggles to score mightily. Lauko is average, I agree, but your assessment of Zacha is overly optimistic imo. If he wants to come we should take him, but I understand why people don't want to.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Nobody is closing any doors except Zacha himself by his continued refusal to come and play for the national team. He is not a first liner in my view, as he struggles to score mightily. Lauko is average, I agree, but your assessment of Zacha is overly optimistic imo. If he wants to come we should take him, but I understand why people don't want to.
This "he refused to come to the World Championship, we don't want him anymore..." approach is ridiculous. If the Swedes, for example, were applying this approach, they would have to omit many of their great players from the 2026 Olympics roster because of their repeated refusal to come to the WCH.

In Zacha's case, he had been considered a great prospect, but was struggling in New Jersey. I fully understand that he was preferring some rest before the summer routine over the World Championship participation. His priority was to finally show up in the NHL, materialize his potential. And it was completely understandable. Then he finally did it in Boston. I clearly see him as the first center for the 2026 Olympics, with Pastrňák as a winger. The only alternative for that role might be Tomáš Hertl.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
This "he refused to come to the World Championship, we don't want him anymore..." approach is ridiculous. If the Swedes, for example, were applying this approach, they would have to omit many of their great players from the 2026 Olympics roster because of their repeated refusal to come to the WCH.

In Zacha's case, he had been considered a great prospect, but was struggling in New Jersey. I fully understand that he was preferring some rest before the summer routine over the World Championship participation. His priority was to finally show up in the NHL, materialize his potential. And it was completely understandable. Then he finally did it in Boston. I clearly see him as the first center for the 2026 Olympics, with Pastrňák as a winger. The only alternative for that role might be Tomáš Hertl.
This "he refused to come to the World Championship, we don't want him anymore..."

I never claimed this. I'm just saying that he is not helping to keep the door open by continually refusing. His reasons are his business, I respect that.

I think Necas or Hertl would be better centers for Pasta and are better players. But let's see how things pan out, I simply don't see Zacha being our first line centre in the Olympics. He's just not good enough.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
View attachment 869975
So we have first loss.
Is this serious? That is awful if so!

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

He got his first point! He needs to be sheltered. He shouldn't get a lot of minutes but I do love that we are using him on PP1. Big fan but he's a work in progress. I like how we are deploying him!

Kubalik either has broken sticks, vision impaired, is high, drunk or his hands don't work. I love Kubalik and he's an automatic for me but it's not going well.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I enjoyed the game. Went how I thought it would. Some of our shooters in shootout were bad. Not as bad as Josi though.lol

Did we seriously use Flek as our 5th shooter? The man never scores. I get he is a bojovnik, very fast and good in the cabin but I didn't need to see him in a shootout. I couldn't shake the image of Vrana and Zadina laughing their asses off at that one. Krejcik and Flek need to sit down when a shootout starts.lol

Dostal has played 6 periods and we've scored 1 goal for him. He must feel like he's back in Anaheim with Radko. Weather is nice in Prague too. He's been unbelievable... looked a bit rough in the shootout though.

Fiala shows up from LA.. walks right in and is the best player of the game. If he tried out for us, he would've been cut after 12 minutes in Brno.lol

I am impressed we are playing Spacek. The team is truly dialed in and a total pain in the ass. Taking Finland and Swiss to OT is a testament to Rulik and the 'cabin' and what he's going for. I will acknowledge that. But the cuts are still stupid.

Kubalik is struggling.. I wouldn't bench him or antying like that but he's not 'loose'.

Palat has been great
Kempny deserves a lot of respect.. he is going hard.
Kampf has also been excellent
Dostal has been our MVP so far
Our D simply cannot create anything.
Our F simply can't convert... we had one sequence with several ten bell chances
Cervus continues to impress
I've really enjoyed our 4th line of guys I bitched about.. they'll never score but Flek, Kondelik and Beranek are dialed in and doing their jobs very well
Happy for Stransky

Honestly, after 3 games, I'm very happy. You add a top flight NHLer or 3 to this group of Bojovniks and we may have something.

Yes, I keep hoping Jiricek is coming because of what Nedved said.

As I type this.. Caroline just scored for the lead. I'm not kidding... watch Caroling and Boston take it to game 7. Nothing is certain there. Meanhwile, Kulich is probably in Prague now and available.
If Boston gets eliminated and Zacha comes I will cheer for him but I wouldn't even extend an offer. He burnt his bridges. Don't bring him ever again.. don't ask him.. don't invite him.. he's that hot girl who sleeps with your best friend. Move on.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
3-1 Canes ftr. They won't go away. Outshooting them 26 to 18 as well. Madison Square Gardens is dead silent.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
And, no matter what... even if we get Zacha, Necas and Pasta.. our 1980 style D will not be enough. They can block all the shots, starfish all they went and bang it up the glass all day but eventually they will get scored on. It's 2024 and we have 1 guy who can make a great pass and get the puck out of the zone.. that is Spacek who needs to be sheltered.

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
4-1 Canes.. Necas with 2 points. I'd like to point out the Kuzy got a important goal with 12 minutes of TOI. That is exactly what you do with Vrana.
Of course they won lol, we just cant have any nice player here ... watch both those series being overturned and we will be stuck with burn out Kubalik and struggle to score 2 goals in the QF lol

And, no matter what... even if we get Zacha, Necas and Pasta.. our 1980 style D will not be enough. They can block all the shots, starfish all they went and bang it up the glass all day but eventually they will get scored on. It's 2024 and we have 1 guy who can make a great pass and get the puck out of the zone.. that is Spacek who needs to be sheltered.
D will still be terrible in the front, but if they manage to hold off the strong teams at 1-2 goals like so far and with Dosty shutting it down back there, I believe we can score that one more goal in the QF ... BUT only if Pasta with Necas comes :D otherwise we will still lose 0:2 or 1:2PP or SO lol

Reactions: Czechboy

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I'm a huge Oiler fan. But when they are out, I rarely care at all who wins the Cup. Games in mid June don't interest me much. And even know.. my mind is more on the Swiss game then the Oilers loss last night (which sucked). NT first... which is why I say don't invite Zacha.

I'm a sens fan, the playoffs are completely irrelevant to me

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Ok one last time tell me this is not much better looking team based on what was available:

Vrana - Cervus - Kase
Rychlovsky - Sedlak - Kubalik
Palat - Kampf - Tomasek
Zohorna - Nosek - Vozenilek - extras: Kondelik, and someone (Chlapik, Kousal, Flek etc. really doesnt matter here)

Tichacek - Gudas
Kempny - Rutta
Kral - Kundratek
Galvas - Spacek

Mrazek - Dostal - Vejmelka (Malek)

Why this team is better? Its much more balanced and offensive/creative.

You have two really good scoring lines with pure shooters Vrana and Kubalik. With elite euro players with NHL experience Cervus, Sedlak, Kase + young, creative and dynamite Rychlovsky.

You have really good two way third line with Palat and Kampf + another shooter with them so there is also capability of doing something in the front.

And you have good checking line with Nosek, Zohorna who are used to defend the best players in the world in NHL + scary big Vozenilek who is complete pain in the ass to play against.

13th attacker is Kondelik who can easily replace anyone in that 4th line if needed.

In the defense you have a perfect balance of left handed and right handed D in every pair.

You have balanced defense between offensive and defensive players + you have an excellent creative D in Tichacek for PP.

Tell me how this is not a better, more balanced team that the one we are bringing lol

I would hapilly look like asshole who knows nothing, but I am afraid I wont lol

Curious about Filip Chlapik. Had 70 points two years ago and was a ppg player this year for Sparta. Former 2nd round pick by the Senators.

What is it about his game that Senators released him and he is not playing for the Czech team?

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
I am not exactly saying that, but players that show up for national team on consistent basis and are perhaps somewhat worse than others who do not show up almost never/at all -> these players should be given priority. There must be some kind of benefit for showing up for national colours.

Just to add to this, I think Canada has a system where players who come to at least one or more World Championships before an Olympic year get more serious consideration for Olympic selection (if that's not the case then I'm happy to be corrected by a canadian fan!). So there is some "reward" for attending the WC.

Obviously, we're not Canada that we have such a large pool of players we can reject people for not coming, but in principle, I agree that people who attend should be given more serious consideration, if anything because we have seen them play at the international level and can see how well they adapt and where they might fit in.

And for now.. I refuse to even believe I will see pasta or Necas. Seems to good to be true. Both would give us some legit medal chances imo.
Let's be quietly optimistic. Don't jinx it!

Reactions: Nexon and Czechboy

24 others

Jan 30, 2017
I was never following Gudas too closely but I think I understand now why he is such a fan favourite. The way he skates around mauling opposing players is just hilarious.

• Haha
Reactions: Swipes and Czechboy

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I was never following Gudas too closely but I think I understand now why he is such a fan favourite. The way he skates around mauling opposing players is just hilarious.
He's been a bit goofy this tourney so far... seems really determined to cause shit in every game.lol

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Also, for D, I'd like to give Rutta some credit. No one remembers a thing he's done and that is a good thing. He's very quietly doing a good job back there. So is Hajek which I wasn't sure about. Kempny is in the 23 to 25 minute range every game. Krejcik is usually second.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad