Prospect Info: 2024 CHL Playoffs (Beck, Mesar, Xhekaj, Guindon, Miller & Sobolev)

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
If Mesar is part of the cost to get someone established like Necas, then sure, but I'll never understand why fans of a team starved for offense is always so quick to turn on the young offensive players in the organization, especially so early before they've had a chance to develop.

Once again Mesar shows up and is a big producer in big games - that should say something, more than just having trouble finding consistency after the WJC, something he himself admits was a bit of a mental block.
The reasoning is based on the measuring tape. He measures less than 6 feet.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
I think it may be less about Mesar underachieving and more about what players taken after him have done.

Setting aside Hutson and Beck (who I think are consensus better prospects, but also Habs prospects), most fans looking at Mesar and then looking at Kulich, Lambert, Firkus, Poitras, etc. will be disappointed in the pick. It doesn't mean he's a bad prospect, but not the best pick.

Its also still pretty early, we'll see what Mesar does in the AHL next season and how much talent will be there.
Exactly, if we "pretend" we picked:
1 Slafkovsky
26 Hutson
33 Beck
62 Mešár

nobody would complain.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Yet they'd sell the entire team for Zegras who is barely taller and has the same warts, but since Mesar didn't do a michigan in a meaningless game that showed up on their tik tok reels, he isn't good.
Mesar is still a very gopod prospect. Anyone saying otherwise did not watch the u20. He's deifnitely not a goal scorer though. He's more a Palat type of player i.e. 15-20 goals 50 points guy who elevate his game when it matters.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Exactly, if we "pretend" we picked:
1 Slafkovsky
26 Hutson
33 Beck
62 Mešár

nobody would complain.

And its still fair to want better for your favourite team. Slafkovsky, Hutson, Beck and Mešár is a good first two rounds. But Kulich instead of Mešár would be better. Its just not worth getting super worked up about.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Mesar is still a very gopod prospect. Anyone saying otherwise did not watch the u20. He's deifnitely not a goal scorer though. He's more a Palat type of player i.e. 15-20 goals 50 points guy who elevate his game when it matters.

Yes, I particularly don't care if he makes it or not. He's a late 1st and even the beloved Kulich stalled this year in the AHL.

But giving up on guys very early when there's obvious skill to their games, a lot of development left to do and literally nothing of importance hanging on this guy making it.. just screams impatience.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Has a decent shot though. It’s underrated.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
i think at this point it's more about sending a message, his attitude wasn't good towards being sent down and he hasn't shown anything, you're basically just cutting your losses here

Habs already have way too many similar players in the system so I doubt he'll be able to crack our roster, they'll throw him into a deal to sweeten it imo, or maybe even move a contract they don't want
His attitude wasn't good or he just knew he would be better off developing against men? Cause I think he was right all along.

If we give up on players to send a message, 90% of our roster should be gone, including Caufield.

Reactions: Bombshell11

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Yet they'd sell the entire team for Zegras who is barely taller and has the same warts, but since Mesar didn't do a michigan in a meaningless game that showed up on their tik tok reels, he isn't good.
I would trade for Zegras but only if he was coming relatively cheap. And the Michigan gas nothing to do with my evaluation. I rated him very highly in his draft year. Of course I was only looking at him from a point perspective for my keeper league. We only count points. So I only cared that he is not so bad defensively that he doesn't make the NHL. I do think that some people don't like him because he can do the Michgan.

Even better with Luneau before Mesar or Beck
Luneau has injury/illness problems.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I think it may be less about Mesar underachieving and more about what players taken after him have done.

Setting aside Hutson and Beck (who I think are consensus better prospects, but also Habs prospects), most fans looking at Mesar and then looking at Kulich, Lambert, Firkus, Poitras, etc. will be disappointed in the pick. It doesn't mean he's a bad prospect, but not the best pick.

Its also still pretty early, we'll see what Mesar does in the AHL next season and how much talent will be there.
Man I wanted Firkus so bad. Would have gone Hutson at 26 and Firkus at 33 at the time

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I don't get that point at all. Isn't it the easiest thing to be thrilled by a PPG guy in the playoffs? Why can't people understand that it's all about projecting? Newsflash, most 20 year old will be PPG in the playoffs. Even some who are NOT drafted.

It's not about points. It's about translating. Beck is PPG right now. Beck though has only 2 goals. Not impressive. Yet....his game is more translatable EVEN if we are talking about a lesser ceiling. Yes, Mesar has a better ceiling because...he has no choice. For him, it's top 6 NHL. Or top 6 in Europe. But it's all about trying to determine if he can and will reach his ceiling.

If anything, kudos to posters who do not solely look at a stat sheet, POSITIVELY OR NEGATIVELY to have an opinion on a guy. Even if in the end, the opinion happens to be wrong....'cause Statswatching is so easy and boring to do.....it's not even worth a HF board for it...
Thing is, it is ok to have an opinion about a player, good or bad, it is a public forum after all, and it's fun to debate. But the problems happen when posters deal opinions with absolute certainty and won't budge, no matter what because... ego I guess. That is what is annoying and becomes a hunt for anything proving that opinion.

Reactions: Paddy17

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Thing is, it is ok to have an opinion about a player, good or bad, it is a public forum after all, and it's fun to debate. But the problems happen when posters deal opinions with absolute certainty and won't budge, no matter what because... ego I guess. That is what is annoying and becomes a hunt for anything proving that opinion.
@OldCraig71 - they talking about you again

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
And its still fair to want better for your favourite team. Slafkovsky, Hutson, Beck and Mešár is a good first two rounds. But Kulich instead of Mešár would be better. Its just not worth getting super worked up about.
It's still fair to say that Kulich has 1 more NHL game than Mešár 😉

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Well Kulich ahs been mediocre in the AHL. Midget Benson made the Sabres ahead of him. Have to see how Mesar does.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
we'll have to see what Mesar does but what I'm saying is don't expect there to be much left after we see it :laugh:

hoping I'm wrong tho, i root for all our guys but i'm honest with my opinion as well

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
He was dominant in the first half of the season, he was dominant at WJC. Then he got injured, moved to 2nd line center with Sale. Bounced back when it mattered during playoffs. He is a playmaking winger with skills that should easily translate to pro hockey.
I agree with second part, we have too many similar players and I think he will be traded. He will be a solid middle 6 player in NHL similar to Maccelli.
No in the playoffs he was a full time center

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Only because the overall package is not exciting. Kid plays perimeter. Isn't physical (and I'm not talking about huge hits), doesn't score even as a 20-year old at the junior level after having played against men, and it's about who was picked after him.

What pisses me off the most though is not his fault......I'm going berzerk over talks (not by Habs management 'cause they don't talk) that we might not be interested in freakin Catton because of size.....yet...he'd be our best prospect by a mile. And when I say because of size, it's because of Catton's OWN size AND the size of our own prospects including Mesar....And also, when we picked Mesar (as late as it was, we are still taking 1st rounder), when guys a little bigger like Kulich, Lambert, Bystedt and Cie were available. So Mesar was worthy despite his size, Catton might not be because of Mesar's presence? lol

Now, to be honest, was Mesar just seen as BPA.....maybe. I have a hard time seeing how he would be compared to a Kulich though.

My main concern is that I see him as a one-trick pony, a good passer with a good IQ and nothing else. We will see what the future will make me eat my crow.

-Puck carrier
-PP producer
-Playmaker
-Can Deke 2-4 players at the same time
-Has Speed
-Has Agility
-Puck Magnet
-Creates tons of scoring chances per game
-Playoff Performer
-Leader
-Great Vision
-Hockey IQ

You don't know the player, it shows

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

catmanhabsfan

Jan 4, 2006
i think at this point it's more about sending a message, his attitude wasn't good towards being sent down and he hasn't shown anything, you're basically just cutting your losses here

Habs already have way too many similar players in the system so I doubt he'll be able to crack our roster, they'll throw him into a deal to sweeten it imo, or maybe even move a contract they don't want
Who else do we have like Mesar though? He might be the most talented of our forward prospects and that's including Roy. Why trade hum right now until we see what he does next year as a pro?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
-Puck carrier
-PP producer
-Playmaker
-Can Deke 2-4 players at the same time
-Has Speed
-Has Agility
-Puck Magnet
-Creates tons of scoring chances per game
-Playoff Performer
-Leader
-Great Vision
-Hockey IQ

You don't know the player, it shows
Can't wait to see all of that in the NHL. I mean, geez....based on that, that's McDavid lite. Can't wait. Oh and synonyms do not mean different things.

P.S...Just wondering....Leader...what info do you have? Oh and playoff performer....SOLELY based on this year ? And you know the player? lolll

Does absolute certainty means NOT writing on every post ''In my opinion''???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad