Prospect Info: 2024 CHL Playoffs (Beck, Mesar, Xhekaj, Guindon, Miller & Sobolev)

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I gotta say it's sweet to see Owen Beck leading the pack when I scan the OHL playoff stats.
Two games in or otherwise.
When he started last season with Mississauga, a 2C wasn’t out of the question. Peterborough cooled his projections from us but really if Dach can’t stay healthy, Beck could be a serious option

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
People should go back and read what I said about Owen Beck.
He's determined to take the Nick Suzuki path directly to the Big Club.
Do not pass go and do not take a ride on the Rocket railroad.

It's happening People it's happening.
Well, unfortunately, with guys like Armia, Anderson, Gallagher and worst of all Dvorak all signed for next year
It makes things a little tricky for him to start with the big club sadly
But should Dvo get hurt AGAIN, or traded at TDL, then we'll see some Beck for sure

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Well, unfortunately, with guys like Armia, Anderson, Gallagher and worst of all Dvorak all signed for next year
But should Dvo get hurt AGAIN, or traded at TDL, then we'll see some Beck for sure
Oh I know.
I'm just going by what has been coming out of the development camp regarding Beck in particular and prospects in general.
They have been challenging him and every other prospect loudly and publicly to make their lives hell when it comes time to make decisions.
Beck has been identified by at least one of them as the one most likely to do it.
He gives me Kaiden Guhle vibes in terms of where his game is at and his readiness for the NHL.
If he forces their hand they will find a way. I can easily see him starting exactly where Suzuki did and work his way from there.
Not to mention I need something to hang my hat on after another tough season. :D

Last edited:

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
A bad pass from Mesar leading to the Otters 6th goal, he had some of his passes intercepted in this game, you are looking for more poise at that point of his development.

Edit: Thats it, serie tied 1-1, not a great game from Mesar overall.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
A bad pass from Mesar leading to the Otters 6th goal, he had some of his passes intercepted in this game, you are looking for more poise at that point of his development.

Edit: Thats it, serie tied 1-1, not a great game from Mesar overall.
I didn't notice many bad passes. 3 assists. 2nd star.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Oh I know.
I'm just going by what has been coming out of the development camp regarding Beck in particular and prospects in general.
They have been challenging him and every other prospect loudly and publicly to make their lives hell when it comes time to make decisions.
Beck has been identified by at least one of them as the one most likely to do it.
He gives me Kaiden Guhle vibes in terms of where his game is at and his readiness for the NHL.
If he forces their hand they will find a way. I can easily see him starting exactly where Suzuki did and work his way from there.
Not to mention I need something to hang my hat on after another tough season. :D

Yeah there's no reason that he can't start off on the 4th line & work his way up. Both Suzuki & Slafkovsky started there.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Yeah there's no reason that he can't start off on the 4th line & work his way up. Both Suzuki & Slafkovsky started there.

Once again it feels like next season's key will be HuGo's ability to trade some vets in order to make space for youngsters able to start helping the team.

Really hoping they can move Dvorak so we end up with something like Suzuki/Dach/Evans/Beck as C lineup next season.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Once again it feels like next season's key will be HuGo's ability to trade some vets in order to make space for youngsters able to start helping the team.

Really hoping they can move Dvorak so we end up with something like Suzuki/Dach/Evans/Beck as C lineup next season.

I think we try and keep Dvorak and perhaps trade him at the deadline if Beck is forcing his way on to the team as I think Beck should start in Laval.

The real logjam is at D where Barron will be out of options. I think they move Kovacevic and make room for Barron who will have to play his best hockey with Mailloux and Reinbacher knocking on the door. One of Harris or Struble will need to be moved as well. I would prefer to keep Struble but he may be a better trade chip than Harris. If we are in a playoff spot and Savard is playing well then we keep him and let him walk but if we are out of it again we move Savard at the deadline.

I suspect Hughes will be doing his best to try and facilitate a trade where we can dump Anderson without taking a serious hit. Perhaps a useless, overpaid vet with less term who we can bury in Laval.

Armia is well worth his contract if he continues to play like he has and Dvorak has been decent when healthy. These two are not a problem even if they are not part of the long term plan.

The goal next season is definitelty to make a strong push for a playoff spot and these guys can definitely help. There will be injuries that will allow Beck to join the lineup during the season and if he takes that opportunity to push a vet out of the lineup then all the better for us.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

That’s placing a lot of reliance on one player returning from a major injury and another who’s a mere rookie.

Let’s see how Beck performs in training camp and exhibition games next fall before we pencil in this fine prospect as our fourth center.

Reactions: themilosh and Andy

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
That’s placing a lot of reliance on one player returning from a major injury and another who’s a mere rookie.

Let’s see how Beck performs in training camp and exhibition games next fall before we pencil in this fine prospect as our fourth center.
Absolutely. The entire premise is based on Beck forcing their hand.
You are right the Kiby Dach situation may affect our willingness to start Beck regardless.
But Beck was never going to be the short term solution for Kirby anyhow.
I don't even want to think about how bad another Dach serious injury would be for our rebuild.
I'm fairly certain our evaluation of the team right now would look much different had he played.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Absolutely. The entire premise is based on Beck forcing their hand.
You are right the Kiby Dach situation may affect our willingness to start Beck regardless.
But Beck was never going to be the short term solution for Kirby anyhow.
I don't even want to think about how bad another Dach serious injury would be for our rebuild.
I'm fairly certain our evaluation of the team right now would look much different had he played.

Kirby died for us to get one more offensive forward for the rebuild.

He will be back next year and I would expect him to be over these fluke long term injuries.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I'm on the Beck watch he's playing okay B or B+ no points but his line is carrying the play.

I am however coming away gob smacked with Zayne Parekh's complete game.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Saginaw wins and go up 3-0 in the series.
Guindon's post season will be short lived.
Saginaw is just too deep for Owen Sound.
Carter George is the only reason this game was not out of reach.
Beck was on for both Saginaw goals but was held off the score sheet.
He was a buzz saw at times but you could tell he was a bit off.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Saginaw wins and go up 3-0 in the series.
Guindon's post season will be short lived.
Saginaw is just too deep for Owen Sound.
Carter George is the only reason this game was not out of reach.
Beck was on for both Saginaw goals but was held off the score sheet.
He was a buzz saw at times but you could tell he was a bit off.
Beck started the play on the winning goal but 3 guys touched the puck after him because the guy who should have scored fanned on the puck. And it went right to a teammate who scored.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad