2024 CHL Import Draft

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Does anyone know if St. Louis Blues pick Juraj Pekarcik plans on going to the AHL, CHL, or NCAA next season?

He was drafted at #2 in the Import Draft by Acadie-Bathurst last season but decided to go to the USHL instead. Complicated situation because I have no clue if his CHL rights still belong to Acadie-Bathurst or if they've renounced those rights.

I don't know if he's eligible to play in the NCAA since he played in the Slovak pro league and hasn't made an a college commitment. However, if he was never signed to a contract in a pro league he would still be eligible to go the NCAA route.

Anyone have any info on where he is planning on going next season? He would be a high pick if he still has a desire to come to the CHL

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Does anyone know if St. Louis Blues pick Juraj Pekarcik plans on going to the AHL, CHL, or NCAA next season?

He was drafted at #2 in the Import Draft by Acadie-Bathurst last season but decided to go to the USHL instead. Complicated situation because I have no clue if his CHL rights still belong to Acadie-Bathurst or if they've renounced those rights.

I don't know if he's eligible to play in the NCAA since he played in the Slovak pro league and hasn't made an a college commitment. However, if he was never signed to a contract in a pro league he would still be eligible to go the NCAA route.

Anyone have any info on where he is planning on going next season? He would be a high pick if he still has a desire to come to the CHL
Given they fielded two imports on their roster this year, I have to think they released Pekarcik’s rights?

I think you can only have two imports rights at once unless one was a first round NHL draft pick, then you can have up to three.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Given they fielded two imports on their roster this year, I have to think they released Pekarcik’s rights?

I think you can only have two imports rights at once unless one was a first round NHL draft pick, then you can have up to three.
Yeah that's correct. When I was going through their roster the first time I only saw one import but you're right with them having two his rights would have been released. So Pekarcik would be eligible to be drafted again this year. Interesting

Reactions: Blueston

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006

There's a 0 percent chance that he was ever going to report to Bathurst. They would have been required to release him when they acquired Ponzetto.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The USHL outperformed the QMJHL 28-12 in terms of draft picks in 2023 Draft, and that does not include 12 U.S. NTDP draft selections nor any USHL alumni that had already matriculated to NCAA (i.e., Adam Fantilli). That's also with 15 non U.S. NTDP teams in the USHL against 18 teams in the QMJHL. It's quite possible he just viewed Dubuque in the USHL as a better situation than Acadie-Bathurst in the QMJHL, without regards to potential NCAA eligibility.

I don't know how in-demand the QMJHL is for high-level imports these days. Last draft, Pekarcik went 2nd and didn't come, Fiala did play for Val-d'Or, Kupec didn't come (yet? Not sure if they still hold his rights, he's only an '06), Saint John passed on making a selection, Maruna did play for Charlottetown and Drummondville also passed on making a selection.

Last edited:

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
The USHL outperformed the QMJHL 28-12 in terms of draft picks in 2023 Draft, and that does not include 12 U.S. NTDP draft selections nor any USHL alumni that had already matriculated to NCAA (i.e., Adam Fantilli). That's also with 15 non U.S. NTDP teams in the USHL against 18 teams in the QMJHL. It's quite possible he just viewed Dubuque in the USHL as a better situation than Acadie-Bathurst in the QMJHL, without regards to potential NCAA eligibility.
He would have gone to the right teams in the OHL or dub, just not Q and particularly not Bathurst.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He would have gone to the right teams in the OHL or dub, just not Q and particularly not Bathurst.
Yes, I think he may be holding out for OHL/WHL, or at least for most teams. Those teams don't seem to struggle too much to attract imports, the ones that don't come over tend to be highly regarded NHL draft picks picked in the middle 1st of the CHL Import that are probably more so "maybe they sign NHL ELCs and aren't quite ready for the AHL so they get loaned out" type deals.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006

I don't know how in-demand the QMJHL is for high-level imports these days. Last draft, Pekarcik went 2nd and didn't come, Fiala did play for Val-d'Or, Kupec didn't come (yet? Not sure if they still hold his rights, he's only an '06), Saint John passed on making a selection, Maruna did play for Charlottetown and Drummondville also passed on making a selection.
Saint John didn't draft because they had two imports and the pick was far enough back that it wasn't a slam dunk to be an upgrade.

Bathurst has a track record that they aren't a great Import drafting team.

For this draft, Val D'Or picks 1st and they will take the top kid who will report anywhere. After that, Quebec picks 4th and will likely make a splash (like Windsor before them). SJ is 7th and are expected to trade one of Mateiko/Simek to open an import spot.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
this is really hard to predict...the 1st overall usually is not the best player in the draft, as teams are drafting guys they already have contact with and who is willing to play for their team...i been part of many of these and there is a lot of politics and money getting involved.....

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
this is really hard to predict...the 1st overall usually is not the best player in the draft, as teams are drafting guys they already have contact with and who is willing to play for their team...i been part of many of these and there is a lot of politics and money getting involved.....
It's not a draft, but where you pick still matters if you arent in the London/Quebec etc group

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad