2024 CHL Import Draft

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
No names but I expect a lot of Russians and Belarussians to be drafted...

I also expect every guy on the Czech U18 team that isn't drafted to be drafted. Czechs love this draft.lol

Benak, Mrtka, Galvas, Sikora all come to mind if they haven't been taken previously.

Reactions: pgfan66

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Czechs, Slovaks, now that they are unbanned, Russians and Belarusians, along with various miscellaneous out of Swiss/German/Latvian/Italian/Ukrainian/Slovenian/Norweigan//Austrian/Polish/Japanese/French/Lithuanian/Bulgarian. You get the rogue Swede or Finn here and there.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
I’ll throw in the top candidates from Germany without any knowledge of their likelihood to report:

06 F Clemens Sager
06 F Tobias Schwarz
06 F Simon Seidl
07 F David Lewandowski
06 F Elias Pul
07 D Carlos Handel

Ovechkin962

Aug 25, 2010
I’ll throw in the top candidates from Germany without any knowledge of their likelihood to report:

06 F Clemens Sager
06 F Tobias Schwarz
06 F Simon Seidl
07 F David Lewandowski
06 F Elias Pul
07 D Carlos Handel

What about the Griva brothers, the Kose brothers and Elias Schneider?

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

06 F Clemens Sager
06 F Tobias Schwarz
06 F Simon Seidl
07 F David Lewandowski
06 F Elias Pul
07 D Carlos Handel
I have to imagine Willhöft would be one of the more likely candidates to come over, also.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
All the best 2007 born Slovaks will likely remain where they are. Maybe some players get picked up from the 2006 age group. But guys like Radivojevic, Tomik, Svrcek, Straka, Nemec, etc will stay in Europe. I am curious about Zubek, could fit well in WHL. But I hope he stays in Slovakia. Sykora good example for these young guys what to do.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
What about the Griva brothers, the Kose brothers and Elias Schneider?
The Grivas aren’t even close. Would probably be among the top 10 worst players in the CHL. I think the Koses and Schneider are potential picks but I’d rather see them in Germany for another year.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
07 not very strong for Switzerland but I think that Dorian Moret, Florian Schenk and Lars Steiner would be good enough.
06 obviously very strong and deep so in theory, at least 50% of the current WJC18 camp are potential CHLers. 50% because I don't think Borradori or Van der Kaaij would be good enough, Forget is already in the CHL, Kirsch committed to UMass and is not gonna go anywhere until then. The guys playing in Sweden and the ones already playing pro hockey aren't gonna go anywhere either. Still lots of options but I have no clue who'd want to play overseas. I think at least the late birthdays and 2025 NHL draft eligible, Elijah Neuenschwander and Paul Mottard, should consider the CHL (or the J20) if they're not promised pro games in Switzerland.

Last edited:

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
I think there will be about 10 Slovak players drafted to the CHL again. The names could look something like this.

Tobias Tomik (late 2007)
Jan Chovan (2007)
Patryk Zubek (2007)
Alex Misiak (2007)
Matis Lisy (2007)
Jakub Dubravik (2007)
Alex Zalesak (late 2006)
Alexander Duhon (late 2006)
Marko Varga (late 2006)
Dario Lass (2006)

All the best 2007 born Slovaks will likely remain where they are. Maybe some players get picked up from the 2006 age group. But guys like Radivojevic, Tomik, Svrcek, Straka, Nemec, etc will stay in Europe. I am curious about Zubek, could fit well in WHL. But I hope he stays in Slovakia. Sykora good example for these young guys what to do.

Radivojevic and Svrcek yes. Chovan maybe also. They all have signed contracts. But the situation with Chovan is not the same. He will be more visible in the CHL than in the Finnish juniors, and it's very questionable whether they will give him a chance to play in the men's league. There could be a theoretical parallel with Czech Adam Jecho and Jan Chovan might decide to play in the CHL to improve his position before the draft.

For Tomik the priority will be to stay in Slovakia, but he will be drafted and if he doesn't get enough space among the men, he will look for other options. Dukla Trencin is not ideal when it comes to bringing young players in, so I would say his move overseas is not that unrealistic. Straka should stay in Poprad. Chrenko and Nemec will probably go the USHL way if they don't get a roster spot. Nitra will have a tough decision to make in the summer, they have an awful lot of prospects and some of them will decide to move elsewhere for non-guaranteed spots. Zubek is hard to say what plans Banska Bystrica has for him, but I can imagine him staying at home, although his skating needs a lot of work and overseas ice would help him more.

As for the overagers from 2006, there are not many candidates, because of the lack of quality. Although some late 06 can be risers. Maybe a goalie, but I can't predict that at all. Haronik will also go the USHL way.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I wouldn’t be so sure about that. He’s drafted to the USHL, could go pro and there’s CHL interest too. Lots of options.
I personally don't think he's gonna leave Switzerland ahead of 2026. But we'll see. My list of the most likely potential Swiss CHLers:

Phileas Lachat (06)
Elijah Neuenschwander (late 06)
Laurin Solèr (06)

Dorian Moret (07)
Niklas Blessing (06)
Mischa Geisser (06)
Ludvig Johnson (06)
Léo Richard (06)
Alessio Guignard (06)
Basile Sansonnens (06)
Joel Kurt (06)

Lars Steiner (07)
Florian Schenk (07)
Paul Mottard (late 06)
Sören Aebi (06)
Robin Antenen (06)
Nolan Cattin (06)
Joel Grossniklaus (06)
Noé Tarchini (06)
Loris Wey (06)

However, it has to be said that the Swedish junior leagues have become more and more of an option for Swiss kids. Also, if they're promised games in Swiss pro hockey, most of these guys aren't gonna go anywhere. So I'd expect maybe a couple of those names to get drafted but perhaps not too many more.

Last edited:

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
I was looking through the USHL rosters today and one name caught my eye. It was Belarusian Ilya Protas. He's the brother of Capitals forward Aliaksei Protas, who played with the Prince Albert Raiders of the WHL for two seasons. Ilya had 51 points (14G, 37A) in 61 games with Des Moines this year. He has rated #49 in NHL Central Scouting's north american ranking and has no commitment to the NCAA. I think he's a fairly safe bet to be chosen

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I was looking through the USHL rosters today and one name caught my eye. It was Belarusian Ilya Protas. He's the brother of Capitals forward Aliaksei Protas, who played with the Prince Albert Raiders of the WHL for two seasons. Ilya had 51 points (14G, 37A) in 61 games with Des Moines this year. He has rated #49 in NHL Central Scouting's north american ranking and has no commitment to the NCAA. I think he's a fairly safe bet to be chosen
yeah, Belarus kids typically go to the CHL if they are good enough. I expect Levshunov would have if not for the import ban, he was pretty late towards NCAA path and I think had to take some efforts to get himself academically eligible in time for this most recent season. The younger Protas is a big body with good hands, not sure if his skating will be good enough for NHL, but definitely has the makings to be a very good Junior player.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
yeah, Belarus kids typically go to the CHL if they are good enough. I expect Levshunov would have if not for the import ban, he was pretty late towards NCAA path and I think had to take some efforts to get himself academically eligible in time for this most recent season. The younger Protas is a big body with good hands, not sure if his skating will be good enough for NHL, but definitely has the makings to be a very good Junior player.
I remember when Russians and Belarusians being allowed back into the import draft was being discussed Scott Wheeler of The Athletic tweeted that both Levshunov and Matvei Gridin both would have gone to the CHL if they were able to

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
I remember when Russians and Belarusians being allowed back into the import draft was being discussed Scott Wheeler of The Athletic tweeted that both Levshunov and Matvei Gridin both would have gone to the CHL if they were able to
And both are likely to go next season. Same with Protas. I think the only thing that could really prevent them from going is that they'll all be picked high no matter what and might not be drafted by the team they're planning to go to.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
And both are likely to go next season. Same with Protas. I think the only thing that could really prevent them from going is that they'll all be picked high no matter what and might not be drafted by the team they're planning to go to.
Levshunov and Gridin are not likely. Protas is a different situation. Playing at Michigan State or Michigan is better hockey than whatever team drafts them.

Ovechkin962

Aug 25, 2010
Based on his insane stats everywhere he played (even if it's low caliber hockey), I would love to see Aleksandar Stanimirov picked to see if he is a legit prospect or not

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Of Gridin and Levshunov I feel like Gridin would be more likely to come. He hasn't played in the NCAA yet while Levshunov has. Both are committed to/have played at high profile college programs. Levshunov would have the option of being sent to the AHL next year if he were signed too. I doubt either comes but Gridin is far more likely than Levshunov

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Why would Levshunov leave Michigan State to go play Juniors? Doesn't make sense. He is already MSU's number 1 defenseman. Only way I see him leaving is to go pro. Only way I see him playing Juniors is if he goes pro, struggles and they lend him out to a Junior team (Chaz Lucius situation).

Gridin is committed to Michigan, but it's possible he changes his mind.

Protas isn't committed anywhere, so he will probably go play Major Junior as long as he doesn't hate the situation.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Based on his insane stats everywhere he played (even if it's low caliber hockey), I would love to see Aleksandar Stanimirov picked to see if he is a legit prospect or not

If I didn’t know you’ve been around on HFBoards for a while, I’d ask if he’s your son lol. Typical player who gets thrown in here every year by some guy making their first post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad