Speculation: 2024 and 2025 big UFAs

Who should be prioritized in re-signing?

• Gustav Forsling

Votes: 61 83.6%
  • Brandon Montour

Votes: 17 23.3%
  • Aaron Ekblad

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Sam Reinhart

Votes: 49 67.1%
  • Carter Verhaeghe

Votes: 50 68.5%
  • Sam Bennett

Votes: 21 28.8%

• Total voters

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I think we have the guys that can put the puck in, both snipe and garbage, if we get anything it's guys that can help them do that while someone like Whitecloud is lookin to push people around and shut em down.

Where the hell did Mamin go?? And as cheap as he was.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Was it Shoresy or Letterkenny when he gave the shout out to the Boca Town Center Cheesecake Factory?

Anyway, am I stupid for thinking we can be ok without any deadline moves?

we were ok last year, right?

(I mean, sure - some additional depth would've helped toward the end of the run but you know what I mean)

Reactions: CHGoalie27

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I still think a 3rd liner is a high priority and that can be acquired without breaking the bank. Playoffs are a crapshoot and the team looks great, bring in a 3rd liner and let the chips fall.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I still want an upgrade over Cousins and or ERod

Ideally

Upgrade - Barkov - Reinhart
Verhaeghe Bennett Tkachuk
Luostar Lundell ERod
Gadjovich - Stenlund- Lomberg

Extra: :Lockwood, Cousins, Lorentz

Realistically

Erod - Barkov - Reinhart
Verhaeghe Benny Tkachuk
Luostar - Lundell Upgrade
Gadjovich - Lundell Lomberg

Extra: Lockwood, Cousins, Lorentz

We could also stand pat and see if Samo elevates even further and becomes a staple on that 3rd line.

What we DONT need is a roster shaking move. For all the shaking Ekblad's belly does, moving him would shake this roster in unpredictable ways.

We dont need that. We also dont need a big name to shake the room. Giroux was a good add, he performed. We dont beat Washington without him. We just didnt address the biggest need that year

1706050134911.png

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
No movement clause until July 1 and then he submits a 12 team no trade list.

Frankie gets $3.65 million this year and next. Give them Cousins and Lorentz For Tanklin and send Lockwood back to the A.
The rebuilding Ducks are going to trade their best scoring forward signed cheap for 2 4th line plugs?

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Ill be honest, on the back-end I would rather prioritize Ekblad over Montour.

RH shot and Montours last year seems more of an outlier than anything right now.
Ek has been excellent on the defensive side of the game, except for those brainfart late game penalties. Feels almost like starting to become reputation calls. Mean refs picking on the fat kid:sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: MaWa

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
The #1 reason I would prefer to move on from Ekblad is that he's probably going to want another big contract -- maybe a bigger one -- and I just don't think he can be trusted with that.

Even if I like the guy and would prefer to keep him on the team, do we really want to give him 8x8 or whatever? There's no way. He's injury-cursed and I don't think his game is going to age well as his skating starts to deteriorate.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
The #1 reason I would prefer to move on from Ekblad is that he's probably going to want another big contract -- maybe a bigger one -- and I just don't think he can be trusted with that.

Even if I like the guy and would prefer to keep him on the team, do we really want to give him 8x8 or whatever? There's no way. He's injury-cursed and I don't think his game is going to age well as his skating starts to deteriorate.

I don’t think there’s any team out there willing to hand him 8 million or more with his injury history and age.

Reactions: pantherbot

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

Yeah and I think the length part is the key part of the contract. A long contract means Ek is gonna kick back and start his retirement. A short contract is the only one that can perhaps motivate the dude.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Yeah and I think the length part is the key part of the contract. A long contract means Ek is gonna kick back and start his retirement. A short contract is the only one that can perhaps motivate the dude.

why do you keep having this notion that Ekblad is lazy? completely unsubstantiated claim. his work ethic has never been a question mark...

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
why do you keep having this notion that Ekblad is lazy? completely unsubstantiated claim. his work ethic has never been a question mark...
Exactly, he had a dislocated shoulder, broken foot, and I forget the other injury, but still gutted it out through the finals. Then came back sooner this season than expected from shoulder surgery.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I think the Ekblad jokes are kind of tiring, I enjoy the posters who post them but I'm not on the side of Ekblad staying here for next ~7 years unless he stays at $6ish million which won't happen.

Have rooted for the guy since day 1 as I played RD my whole hockey career as well. In saying this, I'm not even sure I want Montour back if he doesn't start turning things around.

Forsling, Reinhart and Lundell's 1-2 yr bridge remain the most crucial re-signs for me.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I think the Ekblad jokes are kind of tiring, I enjoy the posters who post them but I'm not on the side of Ekblad staying here for next ~7 years unless he stays at $6ish million which won't happen.

Have rooted for the guy since day 1 as I played RD my whole hockey career as well. In saying this, I'm not even sure I want Montour back if he doesn't start turning things around.

Forsling, Reinhart and Lundell's 1-2 yr bridge remain the most crucial re-signs for me.

$6mil per for Ekky is probably the correct amount from the Panthers' end but he's not going to leave $14-21mil ($8-9milx7) on the table if he can get that from another team.

I don't put a lot of emphasis on one particular year over the entire track record a player has accrued up until the contract extension talks. I don't think Monty is going to score 73pts again but I think that he's proven to be a productive dman offensively and a vastly better qb on the powerplay than what they've had with Ekblad.

What the Panthers need to continue to do is avoiding bad contracts. Like with the Oilers, McJesus and Drai had pretty decent contract but Holland threw a wrench into the works by signing Nurse for that anchor contract. If Nurse isn't accepting a team friendly contract to keep the team competitive then why McDrai should? Or WillyNilly and JohnnyH with the Leafs squeezing every bit of money they can and then hoping that the Leafs will be a contender? imo those one or two bad contracts are usually the main culprit to why some teams can't win the Cup although they have top tier talent in their roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00