Speculation: 2024 and 2025 big UFAs

Who should be prioritized in re-signing?

• Gustav Forsling

Votes: 61 83.6%
  • Brandon Montour

Votes: 17 23.3%
  • Aaron Ekblad

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Sam Reinhart

Votes: 49 67.1%
  • Carter Verhaeghe

Votes: 50 68.5%
  • Sam Bennett

Votes: 21 28.8%

• Total voters

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
What do you guys think of this deal in the offseason, obviously the primary reason for the trade is to clear cap space and move on from Ekblad before he gets a retirement contract.

To Florida:
1st 2024 (15th overallish)
Chiarot @ 3.75M (1 million retained)

To Detroit:
Ekblad

I know people have ptsd from the Chiarot trade, but he was excellent under Maurice in Winnipeg and fits his system like a glove (unlike whatever the hell Brunette was running). We would recoup a 1st rounder and get cap savings of 3.75m, allowing us to re-sign both Reinhart (@8.25m) and Montour (@6.25m) long term as well as all the other guys to fair deals. Was crunching the numbers at Capfriendly and it works out.
Not without a long term agreement with Montour

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
What do you guys think of this deal in the offseason, obviously the primary reason for the trade is to clear cap space and move on from Ekblad before he gets a retirement contract.

To Florida:

To Detroit:
Ekblad

I know people have ptsd from the Chiarot trade, but he was excellent under Maurice in Winnipeg and fits his system like a glove (unlike whatever the hell Brunette was running). We would recoup a 1st rounder and get cap savings of 3.75m, allowing us to re-sign both Reinhart (@8.25m) and Montour (@6.25m) long term as well as all the other guys to fair deals. Was crunching the numbers at Capfriendly and it works out.

If he's signing an immediate extension with the buying team, we better get more than mid 1st and bottom pair D.

Detroit, Dallas and Buffalo would push hard so Dallas would be my hope, out of division and Stars develop really good prospects.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

To Florida:

To Detroit:
Ekblad

Sorry that's awful. I'd rather rent Ekblad for a year and lose him then take a cap dump and a middling prospect.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
If he's signing an immediate extension with the buying team, we better get more than mid 1st and bottom pair D.

Detroit, Dallas and Buffalo would push hard so Dallas would be my hope, out of division and Stars develop really good prospects.
Sorry that's awful. I'd rather rent Ekblad for a year and lose him then take a cap dump and a middling prospect.

We're getting 3.75 M in cap space, that's worth probably around a first round pick itself in this market. And the real cost of keeping Ekblad is losing one of Reinhart or Montour to free agency. I'd rather take less in a trade than do that. And zero interest in re-signing him to a retirement contract.

Not without a long term agreement with Montour

Yeah that would have to be done before.

Reactions: harv33173

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
We're getting 3.75 M in cap space, that's worth probably around a first round pick itself in this market. And the real cost of keeping Ekblad is losing one of Reinhart or Montour to free agency. I'd rather take less in a trade than do that. And zero interest in re-signing him to a retirement contract.

I get the cap savings, but Chiarot is a big step down from Ekblad. If we're doing something like that, just deal Ekblad straight up and use the extra salary to get an RD replacement. No reason we should be taking a cap dump back.

I get what you're saying about Montour and being able to sign him, but why are we paying him $6.25M? And if we're picking between Ekblad and Montour, I'm picking Ekblad every time, but that's a different debate, I get he's the favorite whipping boy this year.

Reactions: TotalHomer

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
At this point as I said in MON GDT, unless Montour goes on a heater in playoffs, I'd wish him well and thanks for the great 2023 season.

As for Ekblad, it's a coin flip whether to keep him for last year as rental or to trade him for a younger replacement with upside. I don't see how Zito can look at his injury history and say, I'm giving him 7 or 8 years.

Possibly two big holes to plug on RD in next few years but thankfully we have some big cap room coming up when Bob's deal is done/moved.

:dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad