Speculation: 2024-25 Roster thread

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Hypothetically if we did get Celebrini, do you really think we'd play him at wing and not center?

If Celebrini is going to the NHL next season, then yes, Celebrini is going to the wing. He doesn't turn 18 until June 13th. Macklin can be eased in at wing to get used to the speed and physicality.

There could be a slight possibility of swapping Celebrini with Zegras b/c Celebrini's FO stat in college was 60% (317 wins over 529 attempts).

Zegras - Mac - xxx
xxx - Celebrini - Terry

But I'd prefer to put Celebrini on wing first and then the possibility of moving to center if Z is still struggling at the faceoff dot.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
If Celebrini is going to the NHL next season, then yes, Celebrini is going to the wing. He doesn't turn 18 until June 13th. Macklin can be eased in at wing to get used to the speed and physicality.

There could be a slight possibility of swapping Celebrini with Zegras b/c Celebrini's FO stat in college was 60% (317 wins over 529 attempts).

Zegras - Mac - xxx
xxx - Celebrini - Terry

But I'd prefer to put Celebrini on wing first and then the possibility of moving to center if Z is still struggling at the faceoff dot.
In my opinion, I think Zegras is so much better while playing center that there should be some consideration to Mac being tried at wing.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
In my opinion, I think Zegras is so much better while playing center that there should be some consideration to Mac being tried at wing.

Did you see what Mac did this year when healthy? He made Vatrano and Strome look productive!

Screenshot 2023-12-28 180520.png

And you want to take Mac out from center to put him on wing?! Vatrano put up more points throughout the season with Mac, which means Vatrano is thankful for Mac helping him breakthrough new heights in goal scoring and overall scoring.

It's crazy how Mac gets undervalued by Duck fans.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Did you see what Mac did this year when healthy? He made Vatrano and Strome look productive!

View attachment 864880

And you want to take Mac out from center to put him on wing?! Vatrano put up more points throughout the season with Mac, which means Vatrano is thankful for Mac helping him breakthrough new heights in goal scoring and overall scoring.

Were you thinking Z on wing or 3 scoring lines?

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016

View attachment 864880

I definitely am not one who under values Big Mac

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Guathier-Carlsson-Killorn
Zegras-McTavish-Marchessault
Vatrano-Strome-Terry

Let Terry have his “own” line. Let Zegras/Mac and Carlsson/Cutter develop chemistry

Obviously, a lot changes if we get Celebrini

Defense:

Mintyukov-Roy/Pesce
Zellweger-Gudas
Fowler-Vaak/LaCombe/Luneau

It’s a good looking roster with a lot of potential and finally some actual depth in the minor leagues(Nesterenko/Colangelo/LaCombe)

91Fedorov

Dec 30, 2013

View attachment 864880

I'm not undervaluing him at all. All I'm saying is that he hasn't really been tried at wing. Maybe he's just as good, or maybe better, there.

Zegras definitely seems better at center than on wing. We don't know yet if Mac is less effective at wing. It could be a way to get the best out of all our players.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Guathier-Carlsson-Killorn
Zegras-McTavish-Marchessault
Vatrano-Strome-Terry

Let Terry have his “own” line. Let Zegras/Mac and Carlsson/Cutter develop chemistry

Obviously, a lot changes if we get Celebrini

Defense:

Mintyukov-Roy/Pesce
Zellweger-Gudas
Fowler-Vaak/LaCombe/Luneau

It’s a good looking roster with a lot of potential and finally some actual depth in the minor leagues(Nesterenko/Colangelo/LaCombe)
I think that’s prob the hope…. We’ll see if we can snag 1 of Roy or pesce.

Upfront I think that’s pretty realistic, and ya let terry have his own line unless he fixed and can play with guys like zegras or carlsson.

If we’re adding significant forward and dmen, I’d like to see us add a significant face off guy/penalty killer depth type….someone like pageau/Henrique etc that we can have for 2 years

Reactions: lwvs84

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA

View attachment 864880

Until Mac stops cheating in the defensive zone, he shouldn’t be penciled in at center. With that said, I still want him at center, but let’s not act like he’s not still hugely flawed at that position other than faceoffs.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I much prefer one of Zegras or McTavish at wing than at 3C. Would prefer to load the top 6 as much as possible. Strome is fine as 3C. I don't know who will eventually earn the center spots but I just hope Zegras, McTavish, Carlsson, and Gauthier all are given an equal shot at grabbing them.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I much prefer one of Zegras or McTavish at wing than at 3C. Would prefer to load the top 6 as much as possible. Strome is fine as 3C. I don't know who will eventually earn the center spots but I just hope Zegras, McTavish, Carlsson, and Gauthier all are given an equal shot at grabbing them.
In all fairness I don't see Carlsson not being a C for the next 12-15 years here. Ultimately I think his value as a C is what favored him over Fantilli in PV's eyes. I like your idea of loading up the top 6 but that really one leaves one C spot for the other 3 to fight over.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
I like the idea of having one of Z or Mac as 3C and swapping them up to a top 6 wing role when we need scoring.

I think the problem will be how we could afford 6 wingers to play with the 3 of them.

Reactions: lwvs84

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I'm not sure I get the concerns with running 3 scoring lines. I feel like the traditional 2 scoring, 1 defensive and 1 energy line system has kind of aged out. I mean looking at a line up Vatrano, Strome and a 3rd winger doesn't scream defensive or shut down line either. And if it is not then spreading the talent to give each line legit scoring threats gives some real matchup concerns for teams. I'd say the biggest concern is that with a cap you can't really afford it once guys start making star level incomes. To me that's a bridge you cross when the players you have actually earn those levels of income.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
Assuming we get the top-6 RW that PV wants, I'd like them to try and build 3 scoring lines, and I could care less what's considered first, second and third; I want to find 3 groups of 3 guys who can learn to play well together and stick together.

Here's an idea:

Vatrano/McT/Strome
Killorn/Carlsson/Terry
Gauthier/Zegras/New Guy

Any one of those could be dangerous and it wreaks havoc with opposing matchups.

Reactions: DavidBL

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I'm not sure I get the concerns with running 3 scoring lines. I feel like the traditional 2 scoring, 1 defensive and 1 energy line system has kind of aged out. I mean looking at a line up Vatrano, Strome and a 3rd winger doesn't scream defensive or shut down line either. And if it is not then spreading the talent to give each line legit scoring threats gives some real matchup concerns for teams. I'd say the biggest concern is that with a cap you can't really afford it once guys start making star level incomes. To me that's a bridge you cross when the players you have actually earn those levels of income.
The concern should be, do we really have enough offensive talent to where we can reasonably expect significant offensive production out of 3 lines?

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
The concern should be, do we really have enough offensive talent to where we can reasonably expect significant offensive production out of 3 lines?
That really depends on the kids doesn't it? I mean we're literally talking about shifting 1 kid out of the "top 6" for the basis of a 3rd line. We have Terry, Killorn, Vatrano and Strome that all have top 6 production. That's 4 players, then you have Carlsson, Zegras, McT, and Gauthier. Thats another 4. That's already 8 guys who arguably can play top 6 roles. Strome is the weakest and still is capable of putting up 40-50 pts. If PV can get a legit top 6 winger I don't know how you don't run 3 lines. We're closer to it then we are to running a more traditional setup as it is. I mean even if you drop Terry to play with Vatrano and Strome, I'd still call that a 3rd scoring line.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

The concern is that Verbeek has a traditional mind. Often, we'd see Carlsson with 20 - 21 minutes in a game.

If things are equal, then all four forward lines would be 15 mins each.

Under Verbeek, it's different.

Line 1: 20 mins​
Line 2: 17 mins​
Line 3: 13 mins​
Line 4: 10 mins​

FO% (over 100 attempts)
1. Rico = 52.9% (No longer with team)​
2. Mac = 51.7%​
3. Carrick = 51.0% (No longer with team)​
4. Strome = 46.1%​
5. Lundestrom = 44.0%​
6. Groulx = 44.0%​
7. Zegras = 38.4%​
8. Carlsson = 34.8%​

Z and Carlsson have a long ways to go to improve their FO%. I don't know if Z can improve his FO% because in his four NHL seasons, his highest output was 43.8% in his first season in only 96 attempts.

It's gonna suck for us if we're losing 60-70% of the faceoffs between Z and Carlsson as our starting top-6 centers next season.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

91Fedorov

Dec 30, 2013
I don't think we have enough players to fill out 3 scoring lines.

This year we barely had enough players to fill out 1 scoring line. And when we did have a line that scored, it was streaky at best.

We may get there, but the players we're penciling in to our top 9 do not currently have the skill to fill out 3 "effective" scoring lines. To me, that's the reason we should be trying to stack our top lines. We need to find at least 1 line that's consistently effective first.

Reactions: CrazyDuck4u

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
I think the biggest issue that no one really talks about much is Faceoffs.. We need to improve in that.. The more faceoffs we win.. The more we start with possession..

The concern is that Verbeek has a traditional mind. Often, we'd see Carlsson with 20 - 21 minutes in a game.

If things are equal, then all four forward lines would be 15 mins each.

Under Verbeek, it's different.

Line 1: 20 mins​
Line 2: 17 mins​
Line 3: 13 mins​
Line 4: 10 mins​

FO% (over 100 attempts)
1. Rico = 52.9% (No longer with team)​
2. Mac = 51.7%​
3. Carrick = 51.0% (No longer with team)​
4. Strome = 46.1%​
5. Lundestrom = 44.0%​
6. Groulx = 44.0%​
7. Zegras = 38.4%​
8. Carlsson = 34.8%​

Z and Carlsson have a long ways to go to improve their FO%. I don't know if Z can improve his FO% because in his four NHL seasons, his highest output was 43.8% in his first season in only 96 attempts.

It's gonna suck for us if we're losing 60-70% of the faceoffs between Z and Carlsson as our starting top-6 centers next season.
This!!!

Reactions: Kalv and lwvs84

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad