Boston Bruins 2024-25 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
There are a number of guys like Heinen, I’d like to keep. But I think they’ve earned a bit more money, and with the kids and cap, there’s not enough reason to bring them back.

I would also let DeBrusk walk. I’m a fan, but I think it’s time. We gotta pay a star center and I’d rather someone a little more consistent be brought in, like Duclair in DeBrusk’s spot.

I think the defense is almost set. I’d like a guy with a bit of snarl and winning experience brought in, so I like the idea of someone like Edmondson, who would actually be a wash with the Gryz money we’re saving.

Anyway, next year we need to get top heavy and play the kids.

Duclair-Draisaitl-Pasta
Marchand-Coyle-Frederic
Geekie-Poitras-Zacha
Brazeau-Beecher-Liam O’Brien
Lauko

McAvoy/Lindholm
Carlo/Edmondson
Peeke/Lohrei
Wotherspoon

Swayman
Bussi
Not interested in DuClair, Draistl is a pipe dream, but a nice one. Utah, how strange is that, could use a goaltender and defense, was on the O' Brien fan train for awhile , but no so much anymore not as great a fighter that I thought and brings not much else. I will tell you that Jack McBain and Lawson Crouse would make my summer much more enjoyable, as I wait for training camp to start.

20 teams with over $20 million in cap space Bruins are going to have lots of competition and prices will be getting driven up no doubt.Utah is going to have a bucket load .
Interesting fact.

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
They need a real center. FA market is pretty thin. Don't have much available in terms of picks and I doubt that other GMs are salivating over Lysell or Merkulov. Ullmark is an interesting asset, if there's a team that's desperate for #1 goalie.

Sweeney needs to get creative earn his salary in the off-season.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
crossing my fingers that lysell or merkulov force the issue in camp and they get broken into the league with coyle/frederic

its like putting lohrei with carlo or mcavoy - if they earn their shot, gotta give the kids a chance to succeed
I really like the young players Sweeney and Co have assembled. They aren't the guys these lists love but they are players. Hoping they can move some guys for picks, they are doing a great job overall with what they have to work with.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I think Poitras starts the season in Providence and honestly, I hope he does bc his game will be better for it.
Not trying to take a personal shot and no offense but it seems like you always are against playing out young talent? All of your who should be the starter goaltending posts have always been anti Swayman and pro Ullmark.

Aside from NCAA players who develop against older guys there is no better indication that someone is going to be very good than skipping the AHL entirely and going from the CHL to NHL. Why would any Bruins fan possibly root against that?

Poitras didn't play immediately after his draft year either he went back to Jr for a full season so he just missed being able to play in the AHL by days he'll be 2 seasons out from his draft year in the fall.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I want a nice big 3rd line with Coyle Freddy and another big body. But I absolutely despite fake tough guy clowns like Maroon and hate how slow out 4th line was. 2 years in a row we lost to a team full of fake tough guys bc Donnie added scum like Maroon and Hathaway thinking he needed that to win in the playoffs.

I would LOVE to have a younger speed/skill 4th line that we roll out there and is harder to defend with Poitras with Lysell or Merkulov and then someone fast and good defensively. We aren't going to goon our way to a title.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
I'd like to take a step back until an actual 1st line C is brought in. People forget that the last two years Bergeron was a 2nd line C and Krejci was a 3rd line and RETIRED. Sweeney decided not to look to fix the hole and I'll check back in when he decides to.
He didn't decide not to fix that hole, he had little assets to trade for 2 top 6 centers, no top draft picks, and little cap space to sign UFAs.

What did you want him to do?

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
As disappointing as the ending to this run was, there is hope for next season, and for the future.

The Bruins are set in goal and pretty well set on D. Sway is the man in net, obviously. I think they should shop Ullmark around. With the way Swayman played and competed, and the need to add to the forward group, the luxury of having two #1 goalies is simply one the B's can't afford. I'll miss the goalie hug.

The D corps is fine, but maybe there are some adjustments that could be made. The emergence of Lohrei in these playoffs has been a great boon. He makes Grzelcyk expendable, another trade bait piece or freed cap space. A top 4 of McAvoy, Lindholm, Lohrei and Carlo is a good D corps, imo. I would have liked to see McAvoy have a larger impact on these playoffs, but he's still a top-notch Dman. Lindholm was at times the best all-round D for us in the playoffs. But having said that, if they used him as a package to land a true #1 LD to pair with McAvoy, I could get behind that.

Good to have several options for the bottom pairing: Peeke has been pretty good overall, and Wotherspoon as well. Both bring some toughness and don't take guff from opposing players in the crease. I actually like Forbort's toughness and size, but with Wotherspoon, maybe he's the 7D. Maybe those two rotate as 6/7D. There were times Shattenkirk brought some needed veteran savvy, but I think it's time to move on.

As for the forwards, obviously we need at least one top 6 centre. I don't mind keeping Coyle as 3C, maybe even 2C, but that depends how Poitras develops. I think he could become a Savard-like 2C, great vision, but his lack of size is concerning come playoffs.

I have no problem keeping Frederic, Geekie, Heinen, Boqvist as bottom 6 guys. Of those 3, Boqvist is probably the most replaceable. Geekie and Heinen, both smart, versatile, hard workers. I loved what we saw from Beecher and Brazeau. Good 4th liners at least, along with Lauko. Maybe McLaughlin is also in the mix next year?

JVR had some good moments, but Brazeau can do that role, and maybe more. Maroon's experience in the playoffs was valuable, imo, but he's on the downside of his career, as is JVR, so they can go.

I don't know about DeBrusk and Zacha. Zacha at least needs to return to wing, but if they can trade him to land a harder-nosed top-6 winger, fine by me. DeBrusk was very good in these playoffs. Played physical, competed, made some nice plays. But maybe it's time to move on. Replacing Zacha and JDB with some wingers who have more jam and a harder compete level, would put the B's in a better place to have future playoff success against teams like the Panthers.

It will be another interesting summer.

Reactions: Alan Ryan

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
One trade I'm glad we never did was Tomas Hertl. How terrible was he for the Knights. 1g in 7gp and a -6. I like the idea of Lindholm, but maybe a bridge deal. He had a down year in a contract year and wouldn't be worth a large dollar amount.

He had an injury and has been back healthy killing it for the Canucks in the postseason. 9 points in 11 games while playing 19 minutes a night of defensive hockey. With the amount of teams flush with cash, at least one is going to give the benefit of the doubt on his numbers during the regular season this year.

Should it be the Bruins? A great question. But there is no chance for a bridge or short term cheap deal here.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
He didn't decide not to fix that hole, he had little assets to trade for 2 top 6 centers, no top draft picks, and little cap space to sign UFAs.

What did you want him to do?
Obviously, you get two fan approved top 6 centers in exchange for low contracts and non-prospects. I'm not sure if you keep your job if you lose in the Cup finals or not. There's just a high minimum threshold of accomplishment expected by the more knowledgeable fans here.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I think there are some really good positives to take away from this season
Swayman showed he's the true #1
Lohrei is on the fast track to be a top four defenseman who can QB a PP
Pasta showed up in the playoffs with his OT game winner and fight...showed leadership
Poitras has some more developing to do but a definitely a potential top six center
Ton of depth players showed they belong in Beecher, Lauko, Brazeau, Peeke, Wotherspoon

Bruins definitely have some work to do but they are in a really good position for next year. Lindholm should be a priority. Need someone to win face-offs and play the bumper. I don't think you are going to find anyone better than Debrusk in FA. I also really like Brenden Dillon to add some LHD depth and toughness

Zacha Lindholm Pastrnak
Marchand Coyle Debrusk
Heinen Frederic Geekie
Lauko Beecher Brazeau

Lohrei McAvoy
Lindholm Carlo
Dillon Peeke
Wotherspoon

Sway

Can't forget Merkulov-Poitras-Lysell in the minors. Make that your first line and get them sprinkled in next year.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I’d love to see a statistical (personality, too?) analysis of those who want JDB gone after he had an average-ish regular season and strong playoff performance, but want Heinen back despite an average-ish RS and below average playoffs.

I get the money aspect, but even taking roles/expectations into consideration, they are at opposite ends of the free ride spectrum.

Nobody gets scrutinized like JDB, nobody gets a free pass like Heinen.
Have to imagine the difference is salary expectation.

I personally don’t want either back. But would take Heinen at double his current salary for a few years. DeBrusk? $7M/yr? That’s why I always try to ask those who want Jake back what their walkaway cap number would be. It’s the determining factor for me.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I think there are some really good positives to take away from this season
Swayman showed he's the true #1
Lohrei is on the fast track to be a top four defenseman who can QB a PP
Pasta showed up in the playoffs with his OT game winner and fight...showed leadership
Poitras has some more developing to do but a definitely a potential top six center
Ton of depth players showed they belong in Beecher, Lauko, Brazeau, Peeke, Wotherspoon

Bruins definitely have some work to do but they are in a really good position for next year. Lindholm should be a priority. Need someone to win face-offs and play the bumper. I don't think you are going to find anyone better than Debrusk in FA. I also really like Brenden Dillon to add some LHD depth and toughness

Zacha Lindholm Pastrnak
Marchand Coyle Debrusk
Heinen Frederic Geekie
Lauko Beecher Brazeau

Lohrei McAvoy
Lindholm Carlo
Dillon Peeke
Wotherspoon

Sway

Can't forget Merkulov-Poitras-Lysell in the minors. Make that your first line and get them sprinkled in next year.
Yowza

Here is the one @Saxon Eric and myself came up with this morning

Assuming
1. Heinen gets paid somewhere else and DeBrusk is $5.5-6 M
2. Ullmark traded for picks

Zacha- Lindholm- Pastrnak
Marchand - Coyle - DeBrusk*
Freddy- Poitras - Geekie
Lauko- Beecher - Brazeau
Boqvist

Lindholm- McAvoy
Lohrei - Carlo
Dillon - Peeke
Witherspoon

Sway
Bussi

Our D is same we both got Dillon

I think Heinen stays but can see Eric point he could get a better contract elsewhere on a good team

If I was the Avalanche east coast scout especially with Nichushkin done there - and Heinen background at Denver I’d go get him

He can play with talent

So we got him leaving and JDB staying

However a team like Calgary could give him a suped up Blake Coleman deal

Lindholm has looked like close to the Calgary guy right now so he’s probably Bostons target

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
Yowza

Here is the one @Saxon Eric and myself came up with this morning

Assuming
1. Heinen gets paid somewhere else and DeBrusk is $5.5-6 M
2. Ullmark traded for picks

Zacha- Lindholm- Pastrnak
Marchand - Coyle - DeBrusk*
Freddy- Poitras - Geekie
Lauko- Beecher - Brazeau
Boqvist

Lindholm- McAvoy
Lohrei - Carlo
Dillon - Peeke
Witherspoon

Sway
Bussi

Our D is same we both got Dillon

I think Heinen stays but can see Eric point he could get a better contract elsewhere on a good team

If I was the Avalanche east coast scout especially with Nichushkin done there - and Heinen background at Denver I’d go get him

He can play with talent

So we got him leaving and JDB staying

However a team like Calgary could give him a suped up Blake Coleman deal

Lindholm has looked like close to the Calgary guy right now so he’s probably Bostons target
This is the most likely scenario as I see it as well. Any idea on what the cap looks like under this scenario? E. Lindholm for $9M ?

Reactions: DKH

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
JvR gave you good value at the cap hit this year, but I don't think there's any excitement to bring him back and take a roster spot away from someone else who could claim it. I don't know if Merkulov/Lysell are going to make the jump next year (or ever), but I don't think I'd block them even if JvR can give you 35 points at a $1m cap hit. I really love Heinen and everything he brings on both ends of the ice, but it's a toss up as to whether they'd want to bring him back too for similar reasons.

I suspect Jake walks, which opens up a spot in the top 6 wing. Big question is whether Trent Frederic's going to make the leap and become a top six player or whether he's going to entrench himself as just a 3rd liner.

Either way you need a #1 center, and Elias Lindholm is the king fish on the market. If you miss out on him there's Monahan or Domi, but I'm not thrilled committing to them. Don't know if there's a bigger trade out there, and as much as we love the idea of Draisaitl or Crosby, those are pipe dreams.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
JvR gave you good value at the cap hit this year, but I don't think there's any excitement to bring him back and take a roster spot away from someone else who could claim it. I don't know if Merkulov/Lysell are going to make the jump next year (or ever), but I don't think I'd block them even if JvR can give you 35 points at a $1m cap hit. I really love Heinen and everything he brings on both ends of the ice, but it's a toss up as to whether they'd want to bring him back too for similar reasons.

I suspect Jake walks, which opens up a spot in the top 6 wing. Big question is whether Trent Frederic's going to make the leap and become a top six player or whether he's going to entrench himself as just a 3rd liner.

Either way you need a #1 center, and Elias Lindholm is the king fish on the market. If you miss out on him there's Monahan or Domi, but I'm not thrilled committing to them. Don't know if there's a bigger trade out there, and as much as we love the idea of Draisaitl or Crosby, those are pipe dreams.
JVR was a huge disappointment in the playoffs don’t want him back.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
JVR was a huge disappointment in the playoffs don’t want him back.

This is the quandary for a GM. Over the long scope of 82 games at $1M, JvR's value for the money was probably amongst the best in the league for a veteran UFA. But when you get down to the playoffs when the games get tougher, his faults are exposed. You almost have to carry a guy like him for the regular season then replace him in the postseason with a rental or a more versatile or fleet of foot energy guy like a Lauko.

Balancing that long season where you need depth to collect points to make the playoffs and the ability to compete in the playoffs themselves is a tough thing.

Reactions: Bruinfanatic

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
I’d like to see one of Lindholm or McAvoy shopped around in the offseason. I know they have NMC but something needs to change on defense.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I’d like to see one of Lindholm or McAvoy shopped around in the offseason. I know they have NMC but something needs to change on defense.
I lost a lot of faith in McAvoy this postseason. Maybe they'll say he was seriously injured in which case I'd repent, but he really looked like someone without the mental fortitude for playoff hockey.

He could be the key piece in a trade for a top six center, but you're robbing Peter to pay Paul and then we'll have a hole on the top pair or leaning too much on Hampus next year. I actually was impressed by Lindholm who woke up and started playing well again after looking like a shell of his past self for the previous year and a half.

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
I lost a lot of faith in McAvoy this postseason. Maybe they'll say he was seriously injured in which case I'd repent, but he really looked like someone without the mental fortitude for playoff hockey.

He could be the key piece in a trade for a top six center, but you're robbing Peter to pay Paul and then we'll have a hole on the top pair or leaning too much on Hampus next year. I actually was impressed by Lindholm who woke up and started playing well again after looking like a shell of his past self for the previous year and a half.

McAvoy has 3 goals and 32 points in his last 50 playoff games. You need more from your #1 dman.

His last three seasons ( 26 playoff games) he has 1 goal and 15 assists and is a -5

He’s also a -9 in his last 50.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
Fun season. Finished in heartbreaking fashion (of course it did) but end of the day I think this team outperformed just about every single expectation I had for them at the start of the season, so I can't really be too upset this morning. This offseason will be really interesting to watch, cause this team has just about every depth position filled out and tons of cap space to go and be aggressive at adding real top 6 talent to this team.

Lohrei had an up and down regular season, but I though he showed enough in the playoffs where you can go into next season with him paired with Carlo and bet on his development. Poitras only played around 30 games, but he looked good enough where I'm putting him right back in at 3C. Beecher is the 4C on opening day no question. And some of the older rookies like Brazeau and Wotherspoon looked good enough where I don't see the need to pay for upgrades in free agency. All of those guys slot right in if it's me. Also Swayman proved he's the guy, trade Ullmark and give the net to the kid.

So to me a template for the offseason is something like this:

Zacha-x-Pasta
Marchand-Coyle-x
Fred-Poitras-Geekie
Lauko-Beecher-Brazeau

Lindholm-Mac
Lohrei-Carlo
Wotherspoon-Peeke

Sway/Bussi

Depending on what you sign Sway at, that leaves you with 15-16mil in cap space (accounting for 3 scratches) to fill 2 holes in your lineup. I'd personally look to retain Derbusk after that playoff, thought he was maybe our most consistent forward, if that money gets allocated elsewhere then whatever. But this team desperately needs real top 6 talent that can help flip 5v5 play, particularly someone that can play with Pasta. NEEDS to be the focus.
This is exactly where I’m at for the lineup right now. I think that could be a really good 3rd line especially with Freddy and Geekie in UFA years. Money is the great motivation. I’d like to see a Wotherspoon as the 7th D. Bring in a physical guy to be on that left side.

If dealing Ullmark to New Jersey a guy I would target would be Kevin Bahl. A big(6’7) physical D that will be 24 opening night. With Jerseys LD depth I believe he could be had in an Ullmark trade. If they go the free agent route on D one guy I could see them target is Alec Martinez from Vegas. I believe Sweeney has tried twice in the past to sign or acquire him. He’s 36 and hurt a lot. But the guy shows up in the playoffs and is tough to play against.

I think Lindholm or Reinhart will be a Bruin July 1. I think they spend on a big time upgrade in the top 6. I could also see them target a guy like Toffoli for the top 6 as well.

Draisaitl will resign. Plus they won’t be trading Swayman, McAvoy , or Pasta which they shouldn't anyway. To suggest so is just wasting time and energy. It’s not happening. Just my initial thoughts with the game still fresh.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
McAvoy has 3 goals and 32 points in his last 50 playoff games. You need more from your #1 dman.

He’s also a -9 in his last 50.
It's not just a lack of points, carrying the puck he looked like he was in panic mode. Game 7 against Toronto was one of the worst games I've seen a #1 defenseman have and he's lucky we got out of that without it costing us.

We were spoiled by watching Chara for so long, and Bourque before him. I suppose a lot of teams like the Leafs would love to have a guy like Mac anchoring their D. I'm just concerned about his ability to be the man in the postseason.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
If dealing Ullmark to New Jersey a guy I would target would be Kevin Bahl.
He's not consistently physical, but I'd certainly take a chance his future.

If it was my deal, after letting DeBrusk go, I'd try and finagle Ullmark for Timo Meier and Bahl. It only works if the Devils have buyers remorse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad