Boston Bruins 2024-25 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Most opinions are trying to improve the Bruins by addition and subtraction, looking to resemble a realistic chance at a cup.

I don't share that opinion. Looking at how they squeaked by in the 1st round and the total domination by the Panthers in the 2nd round the Bruins need a full blowup from management to the team.

That said, no matter the heartstrings they may pull on, every player should be assessed based on value and performance. Value as to marketable assets and performances in the playoffs. The Panthers barely made the playoffs last year and went to the Stanley Cup finals, precisely because of their talent depts.

If the blowup choice is made every player must be on the block. It makes no sense to pay wheel barrels of cash for 2-4 seasons and play at the league's bottom. If a blowup choice isn't made, the fans should expect another 10-20 years as the ugly bridemaid who catches the bouquet only to turn around and see a room emptied of men.
So either go full out tank mode on a good team, including trading top tier players like Pastrnak, McAvoy, and Swayman (how else would they tank?) or else we’re going to stink for 10-20 (!!!) years? Solid, well reasoned analysis.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
absolutely. we need to purge the no heart players. I add Lindholm and Coyle to this group to. Zacha Coyle Lindholm should be moved and replaced with younger players or free agents. Its amazing how weak willed this team is compared to the Bertuzzi Hathaway Orlov additions last year. Those players have the drive to win. This team seems to generally not care that they will be golfing on Wed. could care less about regular season stats if you turtle in the playoffs its time this franchise realized that.

Yeehah, Lets trade most of our players and replace them with Free Agents. Lets pay a 20% bonus over everyone else to ensure the top 5 FA all sign with Boston.

Good grief, there are 30 NHL teams, and not even 30 players worth pursuing in the market, and somehow Boston can be the top of the list for 4-5 guys so they can replace everyone.

Wait, Bertuzzi, Orlov, and Hathaway had the drive to win??? And this team doesn't If nothing else this team will have gone further than those guys did last year

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
So either go full out tank mode on a good team, including trading top tier players like Pastrnak, McAvoy, and Swayman (how else would they tank?) or else we’re going to stink for 10-20 (!!!) years? Solid, well reasoned analysis.

I think this team can take a step back (not full on tank) and move McAvoy, DeBrusk, Zacha, Heinen, Grzelcyk, and Ullmark all out and get a top line C and a 2nd line C as well.

I'd inquire about Brady Tkachuk.
I'd inquire about Tomas Hertl.

One of those two in and a signed UFA as the 2nd line C makes this team stronger with the above subtractions.

If you keep Zacha, put him on the LW with Hertl and Pastrnak.

Reactions: bbfan419

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I think this team can take a step back (not full on tank) and move McAvoy, DeBrusk, Zacha, Heinen, Grzelcyk, and Ullmark all out and get a top line C and a 2nd line C as well.

One of those two in and a signed UFA as the 2nd line C makes this team stronger with the above subtractions.

They’re not trading McAvoy. No team in the league would trade McAvoy. This is silly.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
They’re not trading McAvoy. No team in the league would trade McAvoy. This is silly.
Why is it silly? Do you really think that he is that elite? I haven't seen that version of McAvoy since 2019 and he's only getting worse each playoff run.

If you want a top line C you need to trade a top pairing D. I'm not disputing his talents but this management has proven that they can't sign a top line C and no one wants the Bruins prospects and 3-4th liners.

If you can move a 1 for 1 from this team to get a top line C he's my 1 in a heartbeat. Because there are only three of them on this team (Pastrnak, Swayman and McAvoy) that can actually be traded for a top line C and the other two are much more valuable when the playoffs start.

Hell, he's already losing his PP time to Shattenkirk and Lohrei.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

If you think mcavoy is having a bad playoff boy oh boy should you check out Hertl! Absolutely not a 1C. I think trading McAvoy for him would be totally insane.

Also not getting where this “mcavoy always chokes in the playoffs and hasn’t been a #1 since 2019” nonsense is coming from

Like I said before Brady Tkachuk, sure maybe I’d look into. Same goes for Draisatl. But Hertl? If Vegas came to us and offered that Sweeney would be well within his rights to spit in their eyeball

Reactions: BernieMcAvoy

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Why is it silly? Do you really think that he is that elite? I haven't seen that version of McAvoy since 2019 and he's only getting worse each playoff run.

If you want a top line C you need to trade a top pairing D. I'm not disputing his talents but this management has proven that they can't sign a top line C and no one wants the Bruins prospects and 3-4th liners.

If you can move a 1 for 1 from this team to get a top line C he's my 1 in a heartbeat. Because there are only three of them on this team (Pastrnak, Swayman and McAvoy) that can actually be traded for a top line C and the other two are much more valuable when the playoffs start.

Hell, he's already losing his PP time to Shattenkirk and Lohrei.
It’s silly because it’s never ever going to happen. It just isn’t. And that leaves aside the desperation of trading him for a 1C (who hasn’t won anything) and now the Bruins don’t have a first pair defenseman. Who are as hard if not harder to acquire.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Why do you want to saddle Pasta with two average skaters?

I don't get this fascination with Hertl. 31 this year, clear decline, bad knees, albatross contract and owed 28 million the next 3 seasons. I would not take Hertl here for free. Sharks absolutely robbed Vegas. I still can't believe they gave up a 1st and a top prospect chosen in the 1st to take on that obligation.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
If you think mcavoy is having a bad playoff boy oh boy should you check out Hertl! Absolutely not a 1C. I think trading McAvoy for him would be totally insane.

Also not getting where this “mcavoy always chokes in the playoffs and hasn’t been a #1 since 2019” nonsense is coming from

I wouldn't move McAvoy for him but I think he will be available to keep other Golden Knights in town.

I think a different package could get you Hertl but no one else is going to move their top line C for anything in the Bruins system or lineup.

Last edited:

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
It’s silly because it’s never ever going to happen. It just isn’t. And that leaves aside the desperation of trading him for a 1C (who hasn’t won anything) and now the Bruins don’t have a first pair defenseman. Who are as hard if not harder to acquire.

I can see your argument and agree with it. I'm also looking at his play the last five years in the playoffs and when the games matter most and he isn't showing up or playing like a top line D.

So what do we have here? A regular season top pairing D and a 2nd pairing in the playoffs?

That's a guy I'd explore moving for a top line C if one became available.

The UFA market is bad.
The Bruins C depth is being destroyed these playoffs (imagine healthy Nylander and Matthews the entire series?) and squeaked by an injury-ridden Leafs team.

There are at least two D on the opposition better than McAvoy each night. Next round (not looking likely) there would be two more the way he's been playing in the playoffs the last half-decade.

I'd much rather keep him and see him have a strong playoff run again but to get that top end talent at the C position that has been ignored for a decade now, the Bruins need to make a hockey trade.

Boston doesn't have a talent pool to trade 1 for 3.

Why do you want to saddle Pasta with two average skaters?

I don't get this fascination with Hertl. 31 this year, clear decline, bad knees, albatross contract and owed 28 million the next 3 seasons. I would not take Hertl here for free. Sharks absolutely robbed Vegas. I still can't believe they gave up a 1st and a top prospect chosen in the 1st to take on that obligation.

And he would be the Bruins best C by a mile. That's how bad we are at the C position this year and next.

Reactions: BruinDust

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Like I said before Brady Tkachuk, sure maybe I’d look into. Same goes for Draisatl. But Hertl? If Vegas came to us and offered that Sweeney would be well within his rights to spit in their eyeball

Did you think he had a good playoffs last year vs Florida? Or to Covid years? It's crazy to look back and then realize that those five years since 2019 flew by and McAvoy was underwhelming.

Again, he is an elite D and top 20 in the NHL.

But there is NO hope for this team with NO top line C. It's that simple and we've seen it year in and year out now.

Where is the top C help coming from?

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Oh, and to be clear, this is all part of my cathartic/therapeutic experience to make suggestions to improve the team, vent to fellow passionate fans and then watch this management team severely fall short which results in me caring a little less each year about the team.

Helps me cope with the decline of the Bruins.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

DeBrusk, Heinen and Grzelcyk literally have no value as they are UFA's and teams can just wait to sign them. Ullmark's limited no trade is going to make him tough to move. That makes your two best values Mac and Zacha, I would put Coyle and Lindholm in that group as well. Don't know what Lindholm's value will be as he is slowing down with a big, long term contract.

I love the idea of both Tkachuk and Hertl. Really love Tkachuk if you get a top line center for him and Pasta to play with.

Reactions: Coach Parker

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Barzal. I looked around and can say there are two players in the NHL I'd move McAvoy for that could realistically be available.

Tkachuk or Barzal.

Then move Ullmark for RNH.

Top two C locked up.

Explore acquiring Theodore as he is on the outs in Vegas.

Nice Ullmark for RNH. A solid deal with 2 players who have NTC and would not waive to go to the other team

McAvoy for Barzal, I probably don't do. then you sit back and get hammered with nothing resembling a #1 D for the next half decade

Reactions: MarchysNoseKnows

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
And he would be the Bruins best C by a mile. That's how bad we are at the C position this year and next.

They'll probably go after Lindholm this summer, not that I think he's some sort of solution but we know the interest is there.

If they strike out on him, they are better off just waiting it out and see what shakes loose. They need to add a top forward in his prime. Winger or C, whatever comes along first. They can't be using current cap space for guys like Dubois or Hertl, albatross contracts both, and left without space to work with when better opportunities come along. Same with the likes of Stephenson, or Monahan, etc.

First time in awhile the Bruins are going into a off-season with no super-bad contracts on the books and cap space to work with. I'd hate to see it wasted on expensive band-aid solutions and question marks. They need to be patient here. More guys in or quickly approaching their 30s isn't the answer.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
They'll probably go after Lindholm this summer, not that I think he's some sort of solution but we know the interest is there.

If they strike out on him, they are better off just waiting it out and see what shakes loose. They need to add a top forward in his prime. Winger or C, whatever comes along first. They can't be using current cap space for guys like Dubois or Hertl, albatross contracts both, and left without space to work with when better opportunities come along. Same with the likes of Stephenson, or Monahan, etc.

First time in awhile the Bruins are going into a off-season with no super-bad contracts on the books and cap space to work with. I'd hate to see it wasted on expensive band-aid solutions and question marks. They need to be patient here. More guys in or quickly approaching their 30s isn't the answer.
I love the optimism. Sadly, nothing in the UFA market resembles a 1st line C and you're seeing Vancouver be successful with Lindholm (who would be the Bruins 1st line C) running the 3rd line C role.

It's that bad in Boston at C depth and unless you are swinging for the fences on a trade (with no real talent or prospect pool outside of the big three) you are looking at some lean years in Boston.

Reactions: BruinDust

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
I know many of us don't like the idea giving 6 ~ 7y to Lindholm, but at a reasonable AAV I don't really care. I just don't wanna watch Coyle or Zacha as our top centers again. Lindholm at least is a real workhorse and can win FO. Also, they need to add some nasty: we've been bullied every single night and it should stop.

Last edited:

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Nice Ullmark for RNH. A solid deal with 2 players who have NTC and would not waive to go to the other team

McAvoy for Barzal, I probably don't do. then you sit back and get hammered with nothing resembling a #1 D for the next half decade
I'm surprised you wouldn't do Barzal for McAvoy. Seems to me recently it's easier to find a top pairing D than it is to find a top line C but I get the rationale.

The Atlantic C depth is insane outside of Boston:

Tage Thompson
Dylan Cozens
Dylan Larkin
JT Compfer
Andrew Copp
Aleksander Barkov
Sam Bennett
Evan Rodrigues
Nick Suzuki
Tim Stutzle
Claude Giroux
Shane Pinto
Steve Stamkos
Brayden Point
Anthony Cirelli
Nicholas Paul
Austin Matthews
John Tavares
Max Domi

...all would be the Bruins 1st line C before Coyle or Zacha. 19 C better than the 1st Bruins C and the one name available is actually a 3rd liner on Vancouver at C for them to win.

I know many of us don't like the idea to give 6 ~ 7y to Lindholm, but at a reasonable AAV I don't really care. I just don't wanna watch Coyle or Zacha as our top centers again. Lindholm at least is a real workhorse and can win FO. Also, they need to add some nasty: we've been bullied every single night and it should stop.
I don't mind him at that number and it's a fair price. It's the hole at C that is being exposed for lack of PP, faceoffs, H2H and scoring for the Bruins.

Reactions: Lord Ahriman

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Did you think he had a good playoffs last year vs Florida? Or to Covid years? It's crazy to look back and then realize that those five years since 2019 flew by and McAvoy was underwhelming.

Again, he is an elite D and top 20 in the NHL.

But there is NO hope for this team with NO top line C. It's that simple and we've seen it year in and year out now.

Where is the top C help coming from?
I think he was fine not great last year and that he was pretty damn good the other years. They need a 1C but trading a #1 RHD is just robbing Peter to pay Paul unless that 1C is truly special (Drai, Brady)

The more I look at it, the more it's just a dream.

Nothing good is on the horizon in Boston. Tough years ahead.
we heard this last offseason and now we are in even better shape financially than last offseason with a team that has gone further than last years perceived juggernaut. If by tough years you mean some 1 or 2 and dones in the playoffs then probably, but this roster isn’t gonna come close to cratering barring serious injuries

Reactions: JoeIsAStud
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad