Boston Bruins 2024-25 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
So pulling this from the trash bag thread - better to discuss here. @LouJersey made the point of how Ullmark could sculpt his NTC list around who has established goalies, etc. The goal - if you’re the agent and player - is the get the player in a position of control as much as possible. They can always waive (and in his case do so only if there’s a big extension in place) but trying to balance that with places you would never want to play is key.

I took a crack at building his list (obviously we’re not in his head and maybe he’s always wanted to go back to Buffalo or something lol) but here’s what I would do.

On List (City/Franchise):
Winnipeg (yes Hellebuyck but not taking any chances of going to that godforsaken place)
Edmonton
Calgary
Buffalo
Columbus
Utah* (guessing he had to turn his list in prior to knowing the move so it was AZ)

Off List (established goalie)
NYR
Dallas
florida
Vancouver
Nashville
Tampa
NYI

That leaves 18 teams to slot.

On List (control)
LAK
Ottawa
NJD
Detroit

These are the four teams most in need and I’d want control over that

Off List (Boston not trading with them)
Toronto
Montreal

Chances of a Bruins deal there are very slim so I’d take the chance

That leaves me six teams to put on my list.

My last six would be:
Anaheim
SJ
Chicago

(Three franchises years away from competing)

Carolina
Colorado
Pittsburgh

(Three good franchises who I wouldn’t mind playing for, but want control.)

So that would leave the following teams Boston could trade freely with:

NYR
NYI
Dallas
Florida
Vancouver
Nashville
Tampa
NYI

Toronto
Montreal

St Louis
Washington
Minnesota
Philadelphia
Seattle

Makes it pretty hard to make an Ullmark trade without getting him to waive.
Shit that’s a college thesis great job

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
They would have more than just Vatrano to get Carlo, big top 4 RHD are worth more than a mid 6 winger who had a career year.
I agree, I am not trading Carlo for a season career wing, that is just insanity, Carlo, has had his concussions and that is always a concern, but you have this kid on a terrific contract, and you have groomed all these years and you want to trade him zero sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbfan419

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
So pulling this from the trash bag thread - better to discuss here. @LouJersey made the point of how Ullmark could sculpt his NTC list around who has established goalies, etc. The goal - if you’re the agent and player - is the get the player in a position of control as much as possible. They can always waive (and in his case do so only if there’s a big extension in place) but trying to balance that with places you would never want to play is key.

I took a crack at building his list (obviously we’re not in his head and maybe he’s always wanted to go back to Buffalo or something lol) but here’s what I would do.

Winnipeg (yes Hellebuyck but not taking any chances of going to that godforsaken place)
Edmonton
Calgary
Buffalo
Columbus
Utah* (guessing he had to turn his list in prior to knowing the move so it was AZ)

NYR
Dallas
florida
Vancouver
Nashville
Tampa
NYI

On List (control)
LAK
Ottawa
NJD
Detroit

Toronto
Montreal

My last six would be:
Anaheim
SJ
Chicago

Carolina
Colorado
Pittsburgh

NYR
NYI
Dallas
Florida
Vancouver
Nashville
Tampa
NYI

Toronto
Montreal

St Louis
Washington
Minnesota
Philadelphia
Seattle

I’d have no problems moving him to Toronto if the return is solid. Love me some Linus but he isn’t a workhorse and has an injury history

Reactions: bbfan419

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Not really. Mercer isn’t a center. And his projected contract is more like $3.5-$3.8M. Guy had 33 points last year.

Just Ullmark for Mercer sees NJ having to add.
My AAV numbers were high for Mercer because I was thinking 5-6 years which is going into his UFA years. If he comes in at $3.5-$3.8M, how long do you see the contract being?

If Ullmark returns Mercer without including Frederic in a bigger deal, even better!

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
EDM: Debrusk (rights), Ullmark (extension), Poitras, Carlo
BOS: Draisital (extension), +

No chance of this happening but would be a franchise defining moment. Add a Zadorov type.
I think the Bruins could use a Zadorov type, big and nasty type defenseman, but no way in hell do you improve your D with that type of move............ find another way, maybe include next years pick , I don't care.........not that I am looking to move picks, but a shot at Draistl,you do it.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013

Edmonton
Calgary
Buffalo
Columbus

NYR
Dallas
florida
Vancouver
Nashville
Tampa
NYI

On List (control)
LAK
Ottawa
NJD
Detroit

Toronto
Montreal

My last six would be:
Anaheim
SJ
Chicago

Carolina
Colorado
Pittsburgh

NYR
NYI
Dallas
Florida
Vancouver
Nashville
Tampa
NYI

Toronto
Montreal

St Louis
Washington
Minnesota
Philadelphia
Seattle

One thing that could loosen things up would be Ullmark being eligible to sign a new deal once July rolls around. A trade list restricted team offering a sunglasses and umbrella drink retirement contract could change minds, if the Bruins allow the team and player to talk.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Getting Ullmark to waive is the key to the entire offseason IMO.

Bruins could fit in a Swayman extension at 7mil-ish, Lindholm and Reinhart at 19 mil combined, while still filling out the depth pieces if they can move Ullmark and another smaller salary roster piece like Frederic, and still have the most miniscule of wiggle room available cap wise.

I don't think they'll sign Reinhart, but it's doable to overhaul the top end of this roster where it's needed and not have to make huge changes with ongoing players still with term.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
One thing that could loosen things up would be Ullmark being eligible to sign a new deal once July rolls around. A trade list restricted team offering a sunglasses and umbrella drink retirement contract could change minds, if the Bruins allow the team and player to talk.
Exactly. But I’d want control in that situation. Want to send me to NJ? Ok, but I’m saying no unless I get the extension I want.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

No chance of this happening but would be a franchise defining moment. Add a Zadorov type.
Max retention on Debrusk and or Ullmark, and I still don't do it if I'm Edmonton.

Exactly. But I’d want control in that situation. Want to send me to NJ? Ok, but I’m saying no unless I get the extension I want.
Amen to that. I suppose it all comes down to the wants and needs of the player since he's holding a fairly important card

Reactions: Gordoff

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
In the captioned picture of Heinen they call him "Bruins center Heinen." Can we get hockey editors who actually know a little more about hockey?" So many times we see mistakes by "professionals" who write or edit at i.e. NESN etc who make the strangest mistakes.
Also, is McDonald shilling for his Rhode Island homey Dave Quinn?
"The Bruins interviewed the former Boston University and New York Rangers coach prior to hiring Montgomery in 2022. Quinn spent the last two seasons as coach of the San Jose Sharks but recently was let go by the team after two difficult seasons." NO thanks!
The short answer is no, you can't get hockey writers and editors for newspapers who know more about the sport. The long answer, if you care to wade through it, is below.

I can't speak to television, but I have a fair bit of experience in newspapers. The copy desk once was the backbone for accuracy. However, most publications have been sold to companies as investments. The few that are owned and operated by true journalists are exceedingly rare. The private equity firms stripped the newsrooms bare to ensure a return on investment, especially after the severe revenue reduction from advertising, classifieds and subscriptions. Many no longer have a photography staff. Publishing chains, such as Gannett, have eliminated design and copy desks at individual papers and created regional hubs that design pages and edit copy (all the same people). As a result, most who are working on sports content aren't fans and they're not from the area that the copy originates. Writers such as Joe McDonald have no role in ProJo's photo selection, nor do they see the image before it's published. The copy/design desk has little to no institutional knowledge or understanding of the sport, let alone the teams, players and positions. In the grand scheme of things, sports isn't a priority. What truly suffers is local news coverage. The regional copy desk in Missouri has no idea how to correctly spell a Milwaukee alderman's name in a city council story let alone know or understand the intricacies of the subject matter being reported because they are not invested in that audience. Since the desk is handling copy editing and design for dozens of regional newspapers, they are spread incredibly thin. It's inevitable that mistakes occur. The pressure these people (who typically are making less than anyone else in the newsroom) are under to make deadlines is significant. The lack of pay, short staffing and increased workload have driven many good journalists out of the newspaper industry. That's probably more information than you were asking, but it explains why you won't get hockey writers or editors at newspapers.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I'm curious if SEA would have an interest to move Gourde. He's got 1yr left on his contract. They have more than enough cap space so that wouldn't motivate them. Gourde feels like a middle 6 guy that would be what this team needs. He's not the biggest guy, but he'll throw his body around, he blocks shots and give you mid 40's in points.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Switch Debrusk with Geekie or Frederic (or both) and add Campbell after the + by Draisaitl and we may have a deal.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
list of the Bruins FA

For the UFAs, I hope Jake is willing to re-sign at a fair price. We'd miss him. I try to bring back Heinen at another bargain deal, 2-3 years, but would understand if he tests the market for financial stability. Coming off a PTO and getting older, has to be on his mind.

Wouldn't be opposed to bringing back JVR or Shattenkirk back as depth pieces at the ~same deals they took this year. Same thing with Maroon, good 13th forward who fit in well with the team, can be a good mentor, can plug him in when we need the physicality. Give him a shot to recover from his surgery.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Oh my bad I thought the discussion was Stephenson vs Coyle
It was.

And you’re right. I’d say Stephenson ideally is a second line C. Can fill in at 1 if needed or if the fit is just right. And he’s a very different player to Charlie Coyle, who I’d suggest is ideally third line, but can fill in at 2 if needed or if the fit is just right.

I know everyone is clamouring for that top center… Hell, I want one too. But I don’t see one out there. Lindholm certainly isn’t one either.

But if the Bruins could somehow land Bertuzzi and Stephenson, that would be a massive speed upgrade to the top six with Stephenson AND a massive nasty upgrade in a known fit with Bertuzzi. And both are better scorers than the players they’re replacing.

It’s a start.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
If the pick is a 1st Rd pick, then sure, as for Maroon, nice he wants to be here, but I think he knows he does not have many options and is looking for another year, but just wanting to be here is not enough, the player has to be able to play and Maroon is no longer able to keep up with the play. Sign someone like Dakota Joshua or for 4th line role Duhaime or someone like that, they can hit and also skate.

Maroon is here, wants to be here, can fill the role of a 12th/13th guy, and probably will cost less than those guys. And you don’t have to compete with a dozen other teams to overpay him, like with those guys. And I don’t think either of those guys will make it to free agency. In Joshua’s case, he isn’t even that guy, he’s at least Frederic already.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Max retention on Debrusk and or Ullmark, and I still don't do it if I'm Edmonton.

Amen to that. I suppose it all comes down to the wants and needs of the player since he's holding a fairly important card
Edmonton hopefully loses tonight then they have no leverage with Drai. Trade him now and try and convince McDavid to stay long term and they’ll have a reasonable shot at winning a cup every year. F around and lose him for nothing next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad