2024-25 Roster…too soon?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Kane tweet sorta sounds more like he is leaning retirement to me honestly

But if he does continue on several contenders will have interest and Hawks management seemed happy to move on from Kane

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Name a soon to be UFA out there that would make more sense
If they brought him back, they'd certainly get a long look together. See if this can be a Panarin/Kane, DeBrincat/Kane sorta combo. Could work really well depending on how that hip of Kaner's is doing.

But worst case, yeah, they'd just get top unit PP time together. Which would still be a huge improvement for Bedard.
The diff is Pan and Kane were both wings and Pan was 23 and not a 19 year old center. Pan and Kane scored alot of points but history shows you that they both would score alot with our without each other. Bedards one weakness is size so putting him with another player that struggles with the physical part of the game does not make sense to me. Kane and Pan were a dyanmic PP a good off 5 vs 5 line but pretty bad on the Def end.
Hall bedard kurshev
Nazar dickenson kane
donato AA rechel
anderson foligno guttman slaggerty

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I personally don't think he's coming back here. As cool as it would be for us fans, I think management wants to clean the team of everything and everyone from the T&K era.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022

But if he does continue on several contenders will have interest and Hawks management seemed happy to move on from Kane

The dude is coming off 47 points in 50 games and is 90 points from catching Modano and 29 goals away from 500. Unless something debilitating is happening with his hip that he's not mentioned publicly, there's no chance he's retiring. Pretty sure he's said publicly throughout the year that he feels he has a few more good years left in him.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

Not sure how you got retirement from that. Hard for me to think Kane would work so hard to come back from a major hip surgery just to retire after being super productive.

HjamSandwich

Oct 16, 2010
$4.1 million is pretty cheap and will get matched for anyone worth offer sheeting. Issue with offer sheeting is you have to really up the value to. make the original team consider not matching, at which point the comp becomes too high. That's why it doesn't play out that often.
I don't know. Seems to me there are quite a few bridge deals for good players that fall below that.

Morgan Frost last year as an example.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
The argument is spending 1st round picks to bring in 25 year old "vets".

The Hawks never traded their 1st round picks before the T&K years, they tanked, had vets they got for cheap or signed for free, and built the majority of their core through the draft.
I never said they have to trade the late firsts. I said keep the first and 2 in the 20-50 range and look to move the rest. Never said light them on fire like KD does with danny boys' money.

Too much made of late firsts.

They should keep those picks in play and should absolutely consider trading the redundant picks past 2 in the 20-50 range.

AND post lockout CBA, the Hawks had a grand total 4 picks in Tallon's 5 drafts in the 20-50 range and never 2 in the same year...I have no idea what you're talking about.

Bedarded

meow
Mar 21, 2013
So in the end, Farabee becomes a 70pt player playing with Bedard, are you paying him 8+mil? I'm not, he'd be a UFA, and then he is gone and we paid a 1st for someone who won't be here in 4+ years.
His contract doesnt have a ntc/nmc, if he becomes that player, you can trade him for a first+ in 26 or 27 no?
But i'd rather they sign bertuzzi to wing bedard & kane:D and possibly sell him off depending on the contract.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

Pretty sure he just said last week he may play until he is 40.

Can you imagine how big Kaner coming back to the team would be for marketing? 88 helping mentor 98? Kane back for another Winter Classic? Those assholes at Fanatics would only have to print off Kane and Bedard Winter Classic jerseys and they would sell like hot cakes. Ticket sales would inch even closer back to regularly selling out. National TV ratings would be huge, so would local ratings as long as that new Reinsdorf network (which Hawks are rumored to be moving to) is readily available in TV packages.

Faulkner and Danny won't force Kyle to sign any player, but they are absolutely crossing their fingers it happens.
My guess is that it was Faulkner and Danny that decided Kane was leaving, not Kyle. But who knows.

I'm hoping whoever decided it has changed their mind and they make it happen. This team needs Kaner. The fanbase needs Kaner. And more than anything, Bedard needs Kaner.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Pretty sure he just said last week he may play until he is 40.

My guess is that it was Faulkner and Danny that decided Kane was leaving, not Kyle. But who knows.

I'm hoping whoever decided it has changed their mind and they make it happen. This team needs Kaner. The fanbase needs Kaner. And more than anything, Bedard needs Kaner.
one thing you need to remember is its not like Agents reach out and offer home town discounts. My guess is if they engaged kane 1.5 ago to resign they probably ask for something just slightly less then what he was making. (10.5) with term. with older players you at times need them to hit the market and see what they are worth. the you played well for a long time we will reward you contract does not work in a cap league. I think Kane leaving was inevitable. let him try a different city. Let him see what the market is for 35 year old player. I think now they both can be on the same page. also do you think Kane wanted to be on the ice for there 20 game road losing streak. now that we are actually starting to slowly build at least we are getting better. knowing you will be worse next year is pretty demoralizing for a athlete. I give it 1/3 chance he ends up in Chi on a 3 year deal. IMO

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
That will (looking at this draft) likely be a fringe player at best. … this is a very shallow draft.
Still doesn't answer the question of why trade away even a "fringe" player (which even in the shallowest of draft there will be good players taken well after 20 so that is on our amatuer scouting dept) when you can offer any of a dozen UFA wingers the 4X5 remaining on Farabees contract and have several takers.

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
Brining back Kane on a moderate-money deal could be a great idea. With Bedard, maybe Celebrini and add Kane...talk about selling merch and filling the rink. It would be a perfect storm.

4M x 4

Reactions: ChiHawks10

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Brining back Kane on a moderate-money deal could be a great idea. With Bedard, maybe Celebrini and add Kane...talk about selling merch and filling the rink. It would be a perfect storm.

4M x 4

I love Kane. You don't sign a soon-to-be-36-year-old player to a 4-year contract. I'd give him 2 years at 5.5M per. Really the AAV isn't the issue, just the term.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
2 years at 8.8m per with a handshake agreement that if his play doesn't fall off a cliff, he re-signs for 2m per.
he would get more then that on the open market he was on 75 pt pace 35 goals. we are not going to be near the cap for 5 years. Moore rinzel greene lardis Kantserov or top 3 picks this year are not even going to be on ELC next year. (maybe Celebrini or Leshinhnov) you cannot be at the cap in 3 years with no money to pay the core.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
IDK that I'd go that high. I'd do 2x6m and then watch the magic of Bedard and Kane setting each other up constantly for the next couple years.
I'd go that high knowing we need to set money aside for when Bedard/KK/Nazar all need to be re-signed.

The cap before that doesn't matter to me. Just need to have that space there when we will need it.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If Hawks desired to bring him back I would offer 2 x 7M with full NMC and is named captain

Kane will have several contenders interested in him though or Sabres if he desires to go play for his hometown

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Still doesn't answer the question of why trade away even a "fringe" player (which even in the shallowest of draft there will be good players taken well after 20 so that is on our amatuer scouting dept) when you can offer any of a dozen UFA wingers the 4X5 remaining on Farabees contract and have several takers.

Because UFA’s are 2-3 years older and don’t fit the time line. Maybe when the bulk of the kids are 23-24 you sign a 28 year old.
Being 24-25 now puts him in the right spot moving forward.
He is Sharp. You sign your Hossa when you’re ready to challenge for a cup.
Also many kids seem to be doing well. To spend a late 1st in a weak draft on a guarantee is not too high a price. I could even see adding a LHD (of our choice) but that’s it.
IDK that I'd go that high. I'd do 2x6m and then watch the magic of Bedard and Kane setting each other up constantly for the next couple years.
the magic of Kane and Bedard never getting the puck out of their own zone.

• Haha

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
looks like P kane just posted on his twitter a sort of good by to Detroit. 3-4 year deal at $5-6mil? if he tells DET he does not want to resign I wonder if you could see DET trading his rights to Chicago? for a late pick or mid prospect. my Guess is if chcago is a option for both him and KD it could happen pretty quick. IE Im sure he does not want to move back to CHI to just move again in july or AUG
Are they back in Chicago? The (non) wife and kid were in Buffalo for the majority of the last year. His mom is there after pretty much living with Kane downtown for 2 years. … his sister just had a baby.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad