2024-25 Roster…too soon?

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
why would they want to throw money at a player they won't really need, yet.

I don't think he'd come cheap with that Cap Hit. That's what winning teams look for.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Thoughts on Schmaltz? 2 years left at $5.85M cap hit

Hawks have jack shit at RW and plenty of cap space, why would Schmaltz be available? Look at his actual contract costs

24-25 = $1.5M bonus + $5.95M salary
25-26 = $8.5M salary

Hawks will have well over $40M in cap space this offseason with Vlasic the only notable RFA in need of deal.

Sounds like perfect chance for Hawks to get a guy for very little cost asset wise (By taking on all that $) who can improve our NHL roster immediately and serve as bridge to when our higher end F prospects start making jump potentially to NHL

Schmaltz has a 10 team NTC but I imagine coming back to Chicago would be appealing especially to potentially play with Bedard/Celebrini (Hopefully)
I would think competing teams would pay more for him. If hes cheap enough sure.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
I can't see the Hawks adding more than 1-2 vet forwards to this roster for next season.
They're at least a year away from really trying to fill it out and improve their place in standings.

Of course I could be wrong.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
With the recent signings/extensions most of the roster up front is set

F1 CBedard
F2 PKurashev
F3 THall(remember him?)
F4 JDickinson
F5 NFoligno
F6 AAthanasiou
F7 RDonato
F8
F9
F10
F11
F12
D1 SJones
D2 KKorchinski
D3 CMurphy
D4
D5
D6
G1 PMrazek
G2 ASoderblom(ugh)

RFAs…

F1 LReichel
F2 JAnderson
F3 TRaddysh
F4 CGuttman
F5 MEntwistle
F6 RJohnson
D1 AVlasic
D2 IPhillips
D3 LCrevier
D4 FRoos

UFAs…

F1 TJohnson
F2 CBlackwell
F3 ZSanford
D1 NZaitsev
D2 JMegna
D3 JTinordi

Maybes that are signed…

F1 LSlaggert
F2 CDach
D2 WKaiser
D3 EDel Mastro
G1 DCommesso

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
His real dollars are like double his cap hit. It's purely Arizona being cheap if he's available.
This...and they play in an arena that seats 7K limiting revenue.

Schmaltz doesn't do much for me...but....at somepoint having SOME talent to surround Bedard with is not just about more wins or competing in the short term but his development. Playing with slugs or kids WHEN Hall and Athanasiou (and those guys are 3rd liners at best at this point) miss big chunks of the season is not a good plan.

Reactions: dreadpirateroberts

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
His real dollars are like double his cap hit. It's purely Arizona being cheap if he's available.
I saw this as well. He's a good tank forward. NHL speed playmaking without all that defense loose puck winning that gets in the way of tanking. Would be happy if KD bought out AA and plugged Schmaltz in should he be available.

The only problem I have with Schmaltz is that he's been developing a bad habit of getting banged up and missing games.

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
I can see something like this

Hall Bedard Kurashev
Reichel Domi Athansiou
Foligno Wennberg Sprong
Donato Dickinson Blackwell
Anderson as 13th

Vlasic Jones
Korch Murphy
Mastro Barrie
Phillips

Mrazek
Soderblom

Add 3 vets upfront. Domi familar with Richardson. Wennberg with Foligno and Sprong with Wennberg plus Donato from Seattle.

Barrie helps out the PP on the backend. All short term deals. 1-3 years for all these guys.

scorehawks

Feb 13, 2021
I can see something like this

Hall Bedard Kurashev
Reichel Domi Athansiou
Foligno Wennberg Sprong
Donato Dickinson Blackwell
Anderson as 13th

Vlasic Jones
Korch Murphy
Mastro Barrie
Phillips

Mrazek
Soderblom

Add 3 vets upfront. Domi familar with Richardson. Wennberg with Foligno and Sprong with Wennberg plus Donato from Seattle.

Barrie helps out the PP on the backend. All short term deals. 1-3 years for all these guys.
Don't mind Barrie on 3rd pairing/PP if price right. Still think Kaiser might fill same role.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I want nothing to do with Domi at this point. He is going to want too much $ and term

And f*** off with appeasing Richardson and what he wants. He is reason trash like Tinordi plays nightly

And sorry Hall is big ? at this point if he can be a top 6 forward and Bedard needs reliable talent around him not ?

Reactions: ray c

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
I want nothing to do with Domi at this point. He is going to want too much $ and term

And f*** off with appeasing Richardson and what he wants. He is reason trash like Tinordi plays nightly

And sorry Hall is big ? at this point if he can be a top 6 forward and Bedard needs reliable talent around him not ?
Need a 2 C and he isn’t getting a big deal this summer if he couldn’t get one last summer

I would prefer to get someone better for Bedard but I think they will be too conservative with assets and term to get that player right now

Don't mind Barrie on 3rd pairing/PP if price right. Still think Kaiser might fill same role.
Need all the help we can get for Bedard on the PP. Barrie has run an elite PP before and we actually have the depth for sheltering him on the right side.

Crow

May 19, 2014
I saw this as well. He's a good tank forward. NHL speed playmaking without all that defense loose puck winning that gets in the way of tanking. Would be happy if KD bought out AA and plugged Schmaltz in should he be available.

The only problem I have with Schmaltz is that he's been developing a bad habit of getting banged up and missing games.
Why in the world would this team buy anyone with NHL talent out?

Reactions: Pez68

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022

Why do you say this?

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
What do we think about Palat? New Jersey is going to need some cap room hes having a down season 3 years at 6 million. May be able to send a contract back? Donato Anthansiou

Reactions: Muffinalt

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Why in the world would this team buy anyone with NHL talent out?
Cap hit, keeps the slot open, maybe keeps them from stupid overpayments on a different vet. Plenty of reasons, but I don't know what KD is doing next summer.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
What do we think about Palat? New Jersey is going to need some cap room hes having a down season 3 years at 6 million. May be able to send a contract back? Donato Anthansiou

About to turn 33 and on clear steep decline (Was already showing signs of decline in TB)

That 3rd year is problem with taking on such a deal, but bigger problem is he has full NMC and while NJ had down year there is no way in hell Palat will want to come to play on the worst team in NHL

For Hawks to take on that deal would require a sizeable asset or assets coming along with him

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Watching Kings I feel Matt Roy should be Hawks big push in offseason FA

RD
Proven Top 4
Would be good potential partner for Korchinski

Hawks have cap room that overpaying for Roy would not hurt them (I expect him to one of the most sought defenders on market)

Vlasic-Jones
Korchinski-Roy
Kaiser-Murphy

Allan and Del Mastro I assume start next season again in AHL

Reactions: CanadianHawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad