Blue Jays GDT: 2023 v13 | **WILDCARD SERIES GAME 2** Wed, Oct 4 | @ Min | 4:30pm ET/1:30pm PT | Berrios vs Gray

Who you got?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
It's playoff time!

First up is a best of 3 Wildcard series vs the Twins. As is the rule for the WC round, all 3 games will be at Target Field. Current schedule:

Game 1: Tuesday @ 4:30pm ET/1:30pm PT - Gausman vs Lopez
Game 2: Wednesday @ 4:30pm ET/1:30pm PT - TBA (Berrios?) vs Gray
Game 3*: Thursday @ 4:30pm ET/1:30pm PT - Pitchers TBA (Bassitt?)

*If necessary

Last edited:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I think a playoff game win will remain elusive for this team this post season.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This team is either going to lose in an agonizing fashion or go on a run leading to a bunch of revisionist history that it was ever silly to be annoyed/concerned about the way they were playing all season.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I'm going to try and catch at least one of the games here in Aruba, but not holding my breath.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
Why? I think we have more talent than them and it will show. Plus, this Jays team is better on the road than at home. Jays in 2.

We have not showed up this season when the games have really and truly mattered / i.e. AL east games and other important standings impact games. I hope you end up being right (hence my heart prediction), but this current squad just hasn't shown they got "it" this year. I'll be cheering for them 100% though.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I think if they can get the first game against Lopez then I really like the Jays’ chances. Gray will be a mismatch in g2 but no Ober (or short rest) for g3 means Ryan/Maeda pitching which is a huge advantage for the Jays.

We have not showed up this season when the games have really and truly mattered / i.e. AL east games and other important standings impact games. I hope you end up being right (hence my heart prediction), but this current squad just hasn't shown they got "it" this year. I'll be cheering for them 100% though.

Didn’t they sweep the Red Sox, take 2/3 vs the Yanks, and then take 2/3 vs the Rays after that Rangers debacle? That entire stretch against the ALE was the reason they got into the postseason.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I think if they can get the first game against Lopez then I really like the Jays’ chances. Gray will be a mismatch in g2 but no Ober (or short rest) for g3 means Ryan/Maeda pitching which is a huge advantage for the Jays.

Didn’t they sweep the Red Sox, take 2/3 vs the Yanks, and then take 2/3 vs the Rays after that Rangers debacle? That entire stretch against the ALE was the reason they got into the postseason.
I think both gray/lopez will have the bats in tough. K's galore is what I see for the Jays.

How's MIN BP?

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I think both gray/lopez will have the bats in tough. K's galore is what I see for the Jays.

How's MIN BP?

Neutral ballpark which has a higher tendency for doubles/triples. RF wall is tall but pretty close and the Twins have quite a few lefties that can pull it over that. It’ll be a good park for Belt, Biggio, and even Varsho to go yard in.

Lopez is great but he’d be the guy the Jays could get to (and have in the past). He’s struggled recently and he doesn’t fare particularly well vs lefties. Gray always dominates us though.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Who do you guys expect to go for the Jays in game two? Do you believe the starter can be situational, depending on the outcome of game one?

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Jays in 3.

Although Houston is going to be tough. I don’t think we’ll be able to beat them.

My guess, if they lose Game 1 it will be Bassitt and if they win game 1 it will be Berrios.
This is exactly what I am thinking too.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

How's MIN BP?
Oh boy, if you think the Jays are gonna strike out a lot, let me tell you a little something about the Minnesota Twins: they struck out a league-leading 26.6% of the time this year and they're facing the best strikeout pitcher in the AL in game 1.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Oh boy, if you think the Jays are gonna strike out a lot, let me tell you a little something about the Minnesota Twins: they struck out a league-leading 26.6% of the time this year and they're facing the best strikeout pitcher in the AL in game 1.
Yes Sir, I'm well aware. 😊

I read someone mention in one of these threads, and I agree, the key to Gausmans success will be his splitter. You hope MIN doesn't lay off of it. Otherwise it'll be trouble IMO.

P. S. I get the splitter is a ++ pitch and of course it is otherwise Gausman would not be in the majors. Just that I've seen the Twins layboff of it before and hope they don't tomorrow.

Last edited:

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
This team is either going to lose in an agonizing fashion or go on a run leading to a bunch of revisionist history that it was ever silly to be annoyed/concerned about the way they were playing all season.
I don’t think it’s possible for them to top losing as agonizingly as they did in game 2 last year.

Reactions: bax

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
I don’t think it’s possible for them to top losing as agonizingly as they did in game 2 last year.
lol I pick them to win in 2 but sadly we shouldn't be surprised at all if they top last year in epic fashion. It's what we do here in Toronto

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Jays should go with Kikuchi as one of the other starters for sure, 3rd starter either Ryu or Berrios. Absolutely no Bassitt as he got blown up by the Twins this season. Twins also hit LHP much worse than RHP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad