Blue Jays GDT: 2023 v12 | Sun, Oct 1 | vs TB *Last Regular Season Game* | 3:00pm ET/12:00pm PT | Lopez vs Parsons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Again. Every team does this. It’s tradition at this point.
I don’t even really disagree that it’s kinda dumb but it’s here to stay, at least for now.
I am just making a comment, thats all. Not judging at all. Like you said, it is what it is.

Reactions: cyris

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Not trying to be a dic, but why were the Jays celebrating a loss and being WC#3-last place of playoffs.​

I am not saying they don’t deserve it, just strange that they celebrated like they won something. Which is weird.

The best explanation from the players is that they are advised to celebrate making the playoffs and each subsequent series win as hard as they can because you never know if it will happen again.

That's been lessened a bit with the addition of the additional wild car spots but I'd still point to Mike Trout as a good example.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The best explanation from the players is that they are advised to celebrate making the playoffs and each subsequent series win as hard as they can because you never know if it will happen again.

That's been lessened a bit with the addition of the additional wild car spots but I'd still point to Mike Trout as a good example.

Mike Trout and Shohei Ohtani. Poor Ohtani hasn’t even seen a .500 season yet.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
There was a Leaf reporter that tweeted out yesterday if the Leafs celebrated like that after making the playoffs there would be scorch earth reactions lol. First of all baseball play twice as many games as the NHL does, secondly every team does this. It’s been going on since I started watching baseball. Not sure why all of a sudden it’s getting reactions from people. The Leafs reporter really exposed herself on how little she follows other sports other than hockey

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
There was a Leaf reporter that tweeted out yesterday if the Leafs celebrated like that after making the playoffs there would be scorch earth reactions lol. First of all baseball play twice as many games as the NHL does, secondly every team does this. It’s been going on since I started watching baseball. Not sure why all of a sudden it’s getting reactions from people. The Leafs reporter really exposed herself on how little she follows other sports other than hockey

It does look silly to a hockey fan. Imagine the last wildcard seed celebrating with popping champagne
and such, lol. But I understand why this happens in baseball, so it doesn't bother me at all.

Reactions: torontoblood

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
i gotta say with the expanded playoff format celebrating getting in a wild card is pretty lame.

Pre expansion yeah, celebrate the night away.
Even with the initial wild card spot... champagne makes sense.

But now? it's a weird look. especially in the manner the jays made it this season. 6 teams make it. 9 teams don't. Those numbers don't seem that far apart.

but who really cares. not that important.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
i gotta say with the expanded playoff format celebrating getting in a wild card is pretty lame.

Pre expansion yeah, celebrate the night away.
Even with the initial wild card spot... champagne makes sense.

But now? it's a weird look. especially in the manner the jays made it this season. 6 teams make it. 9 teams don't. Those numbers don't seem that far apart.

but who really cares. not that important.

They're still a top 10 team by overall standings, and it's not like they weren't in the best division in all of baseball.

When you get into that business as usual, don't celebrate until you've earned it mentality, you end up like the '22 Mets. They weren't satisfied with clinching the postseason, they planned on celebrating when they clinched the division title. Well, they didn't. And sure enough they lost to the Padres in the wildcard series, and this year they came in 4th in their division...

I think it definitely made more sense before, especially with expanded rosters and giving those regulars a day off after their celebrations, but I love the tradition as it magnifies the challenges of a 162 game season, as well as every series win from here on out.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Not trying to be a dic, but why were the Jays celebrating a loss and being WC#3-last place of playoffs.​

MLB teams forever have celebrated making the playoffs like that..... Until 1994 that meant something because only division winners (and only 2 divisionsl) made the playoffs so it was a real accomplishment.

Then they added expanded the playoffs but still it was only 4. Now that they are getting closer to hockey and basketball it's diluting it but still when you play 162 games and only 6 of 15 make it that is still something so it doesn't bother me

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
MLB teams forever have celebrated making the playoffs like that..... Until 1994 that meant something because only division winners (and only 2 divisionsl) made the playoffs so it was a real accomplishment.

Then they added expanded the playoffs but still it was only 4. Now that they are getting closer to hockey and basketball it's diluting it but still when you play 162 games and only 6 of 15 make it that is still something so it doesn't bother me
To be fair, any NBA team or NHL that secured a playoff spot in the second last day of the season is going to have a big celebration too. Right? Tooth and nail for 6 weeks watching scoreboards trying to scrape in to the last wildcard spot, they’re gonna have a shindig.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

torontoblood

Proud Member of Leafs Nation
May 27, 2021
Who was the leaf reporter?

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Biggest worry for me is the fact that Gaus/Bassitt had two of their poorest starts of the season against the Twins. In Gausman's case both of his starts against the Twins they didn't even bother swinging at his splitter. They're going to be one of the most patient teams and make the starters work even if it means striking out.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I would cite examples but you'll just ignore them. They are a better team then you think they are, and the offense has severally under achieved this year.

LOL, you would cite examples but I would just ignore them? WOW...just WOW, you and I both know that is a bullshit answer.

Considering there was a more than 20 year spell of not making the postseason, might as well appreciate these opportunities when they come.

Would have been a lot longer if MLB didn't start to hand out loser participation Wildcard spots. Playoff spots are not as special as they once were.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Who was the leaf reporter?
Sorry former Leaf reporter she now works for ESPN. Kristen Shilton

It’s not a big deal I just found it funny that of course she had to bring the Leafs into the conversation. It might seem silly to celebrate like that over a WC birth but every team does it. They did it last year as well

Reactions: torontoblood

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Biggest worry for me is the fact that Gaus/Bassitt had two of their poorest starts of the season against the Twins. In Gausman's case both of his starts against the Twins they didn't even bother swinging at his splitter. They're going to be one of the most patient teams and make the starters work even if it means striking out.
I have a feeling both are going to be lights out. My concern is the complete opposite, I think the bats go cold again. And with our complete lack of ability to bunt or move guys around the bases we’re going to need some HR’s

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Ok, and how does that negatively affect them? You can't be complaining about swing and miss issues since they're one of the best in the league there, and they're top 10 in OBP and AVG. And it's not like trying to be Babe Ruth makes them chase balls out of the zone since there are only two teams who do it less.

So... how does this "trying to be Babe Ruth" thing hurt them?

I got stats too but they are more telling, lgBA 22nd, lgOBP 24th, lgSLG 22nd, ISO 18th, R/G 14th, rBOA 12th, BB% tied for 15th, RE24 13th. RBI 17th. Their approach with base runners on is not a small ball approach, except for a few players.

or you could watch a game or two and see their shitty swing for the fences approach.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
LOL, you would cite examples but I would just ignore them? WOW...just WOW, you and I both know that is a bullshit answer.

Would have been a lot longer if MLB didn't start to hand out loser participation Wildcard spots. Playoff spots are not as special as they once were.

Far from a participation ribbon. This isn't like the NHL when only 5/21 teams were missing out on the playoffs. In fact, despite there being more playoff spots than ever before, this is only the second time that one of the Yanks/Red Sox have missed out on a playoff spot in a single season since 1993, and the third time ever that they have finished in the bottom two spots of a division/conference (1925, 1966).

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I am not saying they don’t deserve it, just strange that they celebrated like they won something. Which is weird.

Agree, very weird. Winning last place for playoff teams by one game is something to be proud of? Just a few years ago this was not even a playoff spot.

Reactions: Gabriel426
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad