Speculation: 2023 Trade Deadline discussion

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Very much depends on health of Stone. What if his back forces him to retire????

That wouldn't be the worst thing in the world as much as it sucks to say. At least then we would have certainty and be able to spend his cap to replace him long term. I'd wager it's more likely he keeps trying to come back and then it's just a matter of when the back gives out again and again.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
That wouldn't be the worst thing in the world as much as it sucks to say. At least then we would have certainty and be able to spend his cap to replace him long term. I'd wager it's more likely he keeps trying to come back and then it's just a matter of when the back gives out again and again.
Frankly, the importance of a player in a flat cap league depends on whether he plays below, at or above his cap hit. For instance, I think we're greatly helped by Thompson being on an ELC at less than a million, or (for now) Reilly Smith and Stephenson, who play much better than their cap hit, particularly the latter. As opposed to Karlsson, who does a lot of little things well, but if he's only playing to the 3rd line, he's well below his cap hit, which I think is roughly 5.5-6 million.
If Stone is so limited he isn't worth anywhere close to his 9+ million cap hit, he hurts the overall team, even though I love him as captain, love his enthusiasm and want the best for him, not to mention he is still really a young man and I wouldn't like to see him do permanent damage to his body (and here I speak as someone who actually had polio as a child and through exercise and clean living can still go ice skating - albeit poorly - at a fairly advanced age.

Reactions: theguardianII

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Frankly, the importance of a player in a flat cap league depends on whether he plays below, at or above his cap hit. For instance, I think we're greatly helped by Thompson being on an ELC at less than a million, or (for now) Reilly Smith and Stephenson, who play much better than their cap hit, particularly the latter. As opposed to Karlsson, who does a lot of little things well, but if he's only playing to the 3rd line, he's well below his cap hit, which I think is roughly 5.5-6 million.
If Stone is so limited he isn't worth anywhere close to his 9+ million cap hit, he hurts the overall team, even though I love him as captain, love his enthusiasm and want the best for him, not to mention he is still really a young man and I wouldn't like to see him do permanent damage to his body (and here I speak as someone who actually had polio as a child and through exercise and clean living can still go ice skating - albeit poorly - at a fairly advanced age.

There is nothing wrong with Karlsson's contract. He's the best defensive forward on the team not named Stone AINEC. He's also got more points on the season than Smith and Marche. Are they overpaid too?

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
There is nothing wrong with Karlsson's contract. He's the best defensive forward on the team not named Stone AINEC. He's also got more points on the season than Smith and Marche. Are they overpaid too?
I like him on the penalty kill, I go with my opinion though.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
The worst thing teams can do is make a trade when they are desperate. And i really don't think the two names mentioned in that article will help turn the team around.
They are however names that should come cheap, Vegas can also send a dman or two from the pipeline because it's a little clogged right now.

Efactor

Dec 10, 2002
hfboards.mandatory.com
We should sell. Let Stone get healthy over the offseason and retool. We absolutely cannot afford to keep trading all of our prospects and picks for aging rentals.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
With the Stone LTIR space I know how I'd handle the deadline now at least. And unless we absolutely tank the last month before the deadline the front office will be aggressive. They don't have any choice not to be as long as this team is likely to make the playoffs.

I'd go for Kane and JVR. Kane for a 1st+. JVR for a 2nd+Brossoit. You put both of them with Eichel and hope Stephenson can make a halfway decent 3rd line with Cotter/Carrier/Kessel. In this fantasy world Stone comes back for the playoffs and Kane and Eichel are such a dynamic duo that Kane takes a massive discount to stick around and win.

Last edited:

RapidKnight

Dec 29, 2021
I think adding a natural goal scorer, someone who can convert non-rush opportunities, could boost our confidence. Kane or Tarasenko is just more of the same. I think Olofsson, Henrique, Hoffman, Kubalik, or maybe JVR would be better adds.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

While it maybe a good thing long term, I don't know the GM will be allowed to do so. Seems the philosophy is to advance.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019

While it maybe a good thing long term, I don't know the GM will be allowed to do so. Seems the philosophy is to advance.

I remember for many years the Rangers would trade for some fading superstar (like Marcel Dionne) at the end to sneak into the playoffs and bow out in the first round. I'll take missing the playoffs if we work to build a powerhouse long term, frustrating as it might be to go to all the games and watch us fall short.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
With the possibility of Stone being done this might open up the possibility of JT Miller. While not the defensive juggernaut Stone is his cap hit even at 8 mil in the future says 1.5 mil a season and he is scoring an average of 80+ points over the last 4 years.
He could be cheap too.

Not sure what could be offered but Hague if there was a sweetener added like say a defenceman prospect Rathbone. And still save on cap space

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
With the possibility of Stone being done this might open up the possibility of JT Miller. While not the defensive juggernaut Stone is his cap hit even at 8 mil in the future says 1.5 mil a season and he is scoring an average of 80+ points over the last 4 years.
He could be cheap too.

Not sure what could be offered but Hague if there was a sweetener added like say a defenceman prospect Rathbone. And still save on cap space

They aren't going to have any long term certainty with Stone before the deadline. Miller or anyone else that makes big money with term makes no sense.

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I expect them to be aggressive once again, but it will likely be with rentals. They don't have enough clarity about Stone and Lehner going into next year to make long term cap commitments.
They didn't in the Eichel trade either or the Pacoriety trade.

But Stone hasn't played a full season without surgery now for 3 of the last 5 years and now this year. Pretty sure his end is coming soon.

And Lehner may not return or be able to play, double hip surgery and shoulder surgery, with his weight and age combined with his acknowledged metal issues and now bankruptcy he might be having more issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad