Red Sox/MLB 2023 Spring Training Begins- Forbes says Boston Red Sox are worth $4.5 billion

Status
Not open for further replies.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Since the other thread devolved into passive aggression, a few ground rules here.

We are first and foremost a hockey message board. The Boston Sports Market is filled with fans that are passionate about all the major professional sports teams.

Not all Bruins fans are Red Sox fans.
Not all Bruins fans are baseball fans.

However, for the purpose of this thread, the Red Sox will be considered the home team. Hence, posting that is off topic as well as posting that falls under the umbrella of trolling will not be tolerated.

The site rules will be fully enforced. Members who cannot, or choose not to follow the rules that they agreed to will receive warning points and thread bans.

Reactions: CDJ and Gee Wally

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Justin Turner on Hot Stove

Broke in 13 years ago but only played 6 games at Fenway- ironically first game mlb was as a Met at Fenway and pinch hit for Alex Cora who was a Mets infielder

So Turner & Cora were teammates

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Yeah, I've always felt the Red Sox as currently constructed are a good 85-win team. If they were in the NL Central they'd probably win that division. It's just that 85 will get them 4th place at best in the AL East.

Reactions: BMC, DKH and CDJ

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Sox go from 76 to 52 games against own division

Huge

My off the top win totals

Yankees 97
Toronto 95
Tampa 90
Orioles 85
Sox 83

I’m taking over on Orioles

They are the MLB version of Buffalo Sabres

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Yeah, I've always felt the Red Sox as currently constructed are a good 85-win team. If they were in the NL Central they'd probably win that division. It's just that 85 will get them 4th place at best in the AL East.
I think 80-85 is about right, but no, they wouldn’t win the NL Central….

Reactions: CDJ and DKH

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
To get over 85 they will need the starting pitching to be league average

The top 5 teams in lowest batting strikeout rate made the playoffs - Duvall necessitated going away from that to add power, outfield defense, and flexibility as he is good in center but very good in right.

Yoshida, Turner, and Casas all year should help

He also went after strike throwers in the pen getting two of the best control arms including Martin who was outstanding avoiding free passes

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Since the other thread devolved into passive aggression, a few ground rules here.

We are first and foremost a hockey message board. The Boston Sports Market is filled with fans that are passionate about all the major professional sports teams.

Not all Bruins fans are Red Sox fans.
Not all Bruins fans are baseball fans.

However, for the purpose of this thread, the Red Sox will be considered the home team. Hence, posting that is off topic as well as posting that falls under the umbrella of trolling will not be tolerated.

The site rules will be fully enforced. Members who cannot, or choose not to follow the rules that they agreed to will receive warning points and thread bans.

So in other words just a Red Sox fan club thread? I mean I get it I guess, but what’s the point?

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
So in other words just a Red Sox fan club thread? I mean I get it I guess, but what’s the point?
Sox only 3 M under tax threshold which I’d probably why no Wacha

Apparently they will add and go over once season starts if warranted this season but Bloom wants to see how it plays out

Last edited:
Reactions: LouJersey

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
To get over 85 they will need the starting pitching to be league average

The top 5 teams in lowest batting strikeout rate made the playoffs - Duvall necessitated going away from that to add power, outfield defense, and flexibility as he is good in center but very good in right.

Yoshida, Turner, and Casas all year should help

He also went after strike throwers in the pen getting two of the best control arms including Martin who was outstanding avoiding free passes

Hard to believe, eh?

Reactions: DKH

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Keith Law ranked Gilberto Jimenez lol

I was high on Gilberto too…..like 2 years ago. Idk how he can be called a top 20 guy in the system at the current moment. He doesn’t have a plate approach.

I hope Keith is right but Gilberto will need to come in and put up some numbies while showing an approach to make that a good call. For perspective Soxprospects has him at 40. MLB.com has him unranked.

Last edited:
Reactions: N o o d l e s

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

I was high on Gilberto too…..like 2-3 years ago. Idk how he can be called a top 20 guy in the system at the current moment. He doesn’t have a plate approach.

I hope Keith is right but Gilberto will need to come in and put up some numbies while showing an approach to make that a good call
In Athletic?

I like Law brashness and it’s tough enough following one team let alone 30

I would try and focus on top 300 if even possible and then go read team sites like Red Sox Prospects and get as many contacts in a team organization & ask scouting folks what they think of my top 10 and give me who you like to fill out

The highest Betts ever made on MLB prospects list was 62

Benny was 1

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I guess I don't understand the trolling part of this. Trolling Chaim Bloom or Red Sox ownership isn't allowed? But overwhelming praise is?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

I was high on Gilberto too…..like 2 years ago. Idk how he can be called a top 20 guy in the system at the current moment. He doesn’t have a plate approach.

I hope Keith is right but Gilberto will need to come in and put up some numbies while showing an approach to make that a good call. For perspective Soxprospects has him at 40. MLB.com has him unranked.

That’s a huge yikes. Jimenez is an athlete that we hoped could figure it out but hasn’t. Also, put on weight and lost some of the speed.

Hope he’s right as well but he’s not helping his case on this one. Makes his 23rd ranking even more laughable. Guy isn’t in touch with the organization, clearly.

Reactions: CDJ

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I guess I don't understand the trolling part of this. Trolling Chaim Bloom or Red Sox ownership isn't allowed? But overwhelming praise is?
Critiquing the Red Sox and their management is allowed in the same way that critiquing the Bruins and Bruins management is allowed.

Avoid trolling and flaming each other.

Avoid taking the conversation off topic through thread hijacking and personal attacks.

Same as any other thread here.

Reactions: Gee Wally
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad