Red Sox/MLB 2023 Regular Season V - 58 games to go - Kiké Hernandez to the Dodgers for prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
source.gif

1689063817496.png

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
After seeing what the Florida Panthers did this spring, how can you not give at least some consideration to improving the team in hopes of making the playoffs?

I see the other side of it as well, but also consider this: even if the likelihood that they win a WS is in the 5-7% (or less) range --- I'd much rather Bello, Yoshida, Duran, Wong and a few others get their playoff feet wet now, rather than make their respective playoff debut's when the team has a legit chance.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The Immaculate Grid kicked me in the balls this morning. Got 8/9 because I put Duke Snider for 200 hits in a season and it turned out that his career high (on two separate occasions) was exactly 199 hits.
I wavered between Jackie Robinson and him and ultimately chose Jackie to play it safe

181 on the rarity, not my finest performance. Usually between 60-120. Unless they hit me with a stat category, sometimes I’ll brick on those and end up 8/9

Y’all see the hockey one?? Puckdoku

Was able to crush the bruins row today

Reactions: McGarnagle

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I wavered between Jackie Robinson and him and ultimately chose Jackie to play it safe

181 on the rarity, not my finest performance. Usually between 60-120. Unless they hit me with a stat category, sometimes I’ll brick on those and end up 8/9

Y’all see the hockey one?? Puckdoku

Was able to crush the bruins row today
The three options in my head for that one were Jackie, Steve Garvey, and Snider. I settled on Duke because I thought it was the safe pick of the three, when either of the other two would've been correct.

I go as obscure as I can get when a Red Sox row is on the grid. Like Doug Mientkiewicz and shit. Though my rarest answer yet was Saturday when I managed to pull out an 0.4% rarity answer with Al Oliver for the Blue Jays and Giants because I remembered him from watching the 1985 ALCS on youtube a while back.

Puckdoku makes me realize that I don't know as much about hockey as I used to. I could pull names from rosters from the 90s and early 2000s like nothing, but then I'm like stuck on who played for the Flyers within the last 5 years. When the modern expansion teams like Columbus/Nashville/Minnesota come on the menu, I'm basically f***ed in connecting anyone other than big names.

I just fall back on Craig Anderson and Mike Sillinger in that game because they pretty much played for everyone.

• Haha
Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The three options in my head for that one were Jackie, Steve Garvey, and Snider. I settled on Duke because I thought it was the safe pick of the three, when either of the other two would've been correct.

I go as obscure as I can get when a Red Sox row is on the grid. Like Doug Mientkiewicz and shit. Though my rarest answer yet was Saturday when I managed to pull out an 0.4% rarity answer with Al Oliver for the Blue Jays and Giants because I remembered him from watching the 1985 ALCS on youtube a while back.

Puckdoku makes me realize that I don't know as much about hockey as I used to. I could pull names from rosters from the 90s and early 2000s like nothing, but then I'm like stuck on who played for the Flyers within the last 5 years. When the modern expansion teams like Columbus/Nashville/Minnesota come on the menu, I'm basically f***ed in connecting anyone other than big names.

I just fall back on Craig Anderson and Mike Sillinger in that game because they pretty much played for everyone.
Ah yes Mike Sillinger, the NHL’s Octavio Dotel

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Sell. This team isn't going to go anywhere in the playoffs and this team doesn't have the offensive horsepower to compete with the best of the AL East, never mind the rest of the AL. Keep Yoshida and Devers and start clearing out room to go after Ohtani in the offseason.

The Immaculate Grid kicked me in the balls this morning. Got 8/9 because I put Duke Snider for 200 hits in a season and it turned out that his career high (on two separate occasions) was exactly 199 hits.

The amount of times I have frustratingly picked the wrong player in that game is annoying. It really is a good test of your baseball knowledge.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

1689107857002.png

I pulled this out of my ass and got a uniqueness score of....99.

• Wow
Reactions: McGarnagle

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Sell. This team isn't going to go anywhere in the playoffs and this team doesn't have the offensive horsepower to compete with the best of the AL East, never mind the rest of the AL. Keep Yoshida and Devers and start clearing out room to go after Ohtani in the offseason.
AL East Runs Scored per Game:
Tampa Bay - 5.44
Baltimore - 4.97
Boston - 4.96
Toronto - 4.51
New York - 4.40

...and I'd say the odds of Ohtani signing with the Red Sox are exceedingly slim.

Reactions: lopey

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Tampa Bay - 5.44
Baltimore - 4.97
Boston - 4.96
Toronto - 4.51
New York - 4.40

...and I'd say the odds of Ohtani signing with the Red Sox are exceedingly slim.

With Yoshida and that pitcher they are eager to sign from Japan, odds may be slim, but odds are better with Yoshida than without.

Big market team. Yoshida can do some recruiting.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
With Yoshida and that pitcher they are eager to sign from Japan, odds may be slim, but odds are better with Yoshida than without.

Big market team. Yoshida can do some recruiting.

I think the Sox focus on Yamamoto more than Ohtani. Just land one of them. Both would be surreal and impossible.

Also, Just because I believe he is a future Red Sox, his name is Yoshinobu Yamamoto. There’s reports he could be getting 200 million. Go all in. He’s only 25 years old, so entering his prime and he’s supposedly very close with Yoshida. He fills a mega need, only costs money and he could land Boston a compensation pick if he wins ROY:

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
MLB: We want people to take the All-Star Game seriously, so the winner of this game gets home field advantage in the World Series.

Also MLB: Hey, let's allow FOX television to talk to the pitcher while he's on the friggin' mound.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Dude. That was the easiest one.......Jackie Robinson.

I screwed up and used Daryl Strawberry in the Mets/Yankee slot (should have used Doc Gooden), instead of the Mets/Dodgers.....Both are right, but it cost me the Mets/Dodgers position.. Can't believe I missed Greinke there.....He's one of my favorite players too.

#1 rule with Immaculate Grid: If you get stuck and need a Hail Mary, go with Edwin Jackson or Rich Hill.

Last edited:

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Tampa Bay - 5.44
Baltimore - 4.97
Boston - 4.96
Toronto - 4.51
New York - 4.40

Impressive, very nice. Now let's see the runs surrendered per game.

It's gonna be a herculean task for sure, but the Red Sox have an in with Yoshida being close to Ohtani during their time on the Japanese National Team and I think he could sell the Red Sox as a big market club in need of a transformational talent like him. Now...it would help if the Red Sox got him in for a year first and would split with some of their prospects who, as high as some of their ceilings are, aren't worth getting defensive over and keeping when the prospect of getting Ohtani is on the table. Offer the Angels Mayer and a couple of pitching prospects, or even Bello if you have to, and get Ohtani in here for half a season so you can pitch Boston as a permanent destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad