Brampton ON, Canada
Sox first selection of Day 2 is Antonio Anderson — SS / HS GA

Rankings:

Baseball America: 68
MLB Pipeline: 77
Perfect Game: 75
Kiley McDaniel: 72
Fangraphs:

Anderson is an explosive rotational athlete with a high-waisted frame in the Jonathan Schoop mold. His size may move him off of shortstop. A huge arm bar from the left side of the plate complicates an otherwise exciting, switch-hitting infield package.

— FG

Scouting grades: Hit: 55 | Power: 50 | Run: 45 | Arm: 60 | Field: 45 | Overall: 45

Jay Austin went in the second round of the 2008 Draft to the Astros, and 15 years later, Anderson could match him as the highest pick in North Atlanta (Ga.) HS history. He has a chance to hit for power and average, though his future defensive home remains in question. The consensus is that his offensive prowess alone will get him drafted high enough to divert him from a commitment to Georgia Tech.

Scouts prefer the switch-hitting Anderson's left-handed swing because he turns it loose more often than his right-handed stroke. He has a balanced approach, shows the ability to make adjustments and can handle breaking balls. With his bat speed and projected strength gains, he should develop at least 20-homer power.

Anderson is a fringy runner and lacks the twitchy athleticism to remain at shortstop, his high school position. The best-case scenario is that he becomes an offensive second baseman, though he may not have enough quickness to play up the middle. He does have a strong arm that has clocked fastballs up to 91 mph on the mound, so third base is his likely destination.

— MLB
Can't remember the last switch hitter the sox had in their line up?

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Day 2 picks for the Red Sox so far...

83rd overall - Antonio Anderson, SS, North Atlanta HS (GA)
115th overall - Matt Duffy, LHP, Canisius
132nd overall - Kristian Campbell, SS, Georgia Tech
133rd overall - Justin Riemer, SS, Wright State
151st overall - Connelly Early, LHP, Virginia
178th overall - CJ Weins, RHP, Western Kentucky

Reactions: Mione134 and DKH

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Question for my fellow stat nerds: wRC+ doesn't account for BABIP, right? I know xwOBA does, but is there an overall hitting stat similar to wRC+ or OPS+ that will normalize BABIP?

Duran's .429 BABIP isn't sustainable, so just curious how much he's over-performing overall and what type of regression to expect when his "luck" runs out.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Question for my fellow stat nerds: wRC+ doesn't account for BABIP, right? I know xwOBA does, but is there an overall hitting stat similar to wRC+ or OPS+ that will normalize BABIP?

Duran's .429 BABIP isn't sustainable, so just curious how much he's over-performing overall and what type of regression to expect when his "luck" runs out.
xwOBA is probably the best stat to provide what you’re looking for, wRC+ accounts more for things like ballpark and era played in

While Duran’s current BABIP is not sustainable he is the kind of guy who will always run high BABIPS with his speed to leg out grounders and ability to hit the ball hard. I wouldn’t expect as much drop off from him as you’d expect from a guy like Kikè if his BABIP was .429

Not only did the Red Sox draft a consensus Top 10 talent at #14, they got him for an under slot deal.

That's stunning.

he is a leader of men

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I know there’s a long way between draft day and MLB success but seeing the circled portions with mid round picks makes me happy for some reason.

Attachments

• IMG_1761.jpeg
    IMG_1761.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 3

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I know there’s a long way between draft day and MLB success but seeing the circled portions with mid round picks makes me happy for some reason.

What’s even funnier is that the 6’7, 240 lbs. pitching twins somehow only throw in the low 90’s for their FB lol.

I assume they’re reliever picks. Maybe Boston can tap into that size and get them throwing harder?

Reactions: sarge88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad