2023 Prospect Poll #8

Who is the Sabres' #8 prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
It is interesting for me to see Novikov clearly ahead of Poltapov. I mean so far Novikov hasn't been an impact player on the KHL level like at all, while Poltapov at least in some way was (inconsistently though, but still and, what is particularly impressive, including the playoffs). Obviously size matters, but such a big difference in the poll doesn't make sense to me.

Part of it is certainly the old adage "out of sight, out of mind". Not many here have seen Poltapov play a lot, just some highlights. Novikov, meanwhile, just put on a dazzling display at rookie camp.....and he's actually here.

PP is always going to kind of be fringe-ish around here until he arrives here in the summer of 25. Then people will remember that he was a HIGH 2nd round pick with plenty of talent.

Reactions: NotABadPeriod

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Wahlberg slightly ahead of Rousek.

Add Komarov. Based on how these last few adds have gone, feels like I'll probably end up voting for Komarov for several rounds before he gets picked...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It is interesting for me to see Novikov clearly ahead of Poltapov. I mean so far Novikov hasn't been an impact player on the KHL level like at all, while Poltapov at least in some way was (inconsistently though, but still and, what is particularly impressive, including the playoffs). Obviously size matters, but such a big difference in the poll doesn't make sense to me.

He's close. I think I will go back in a few days and re-evaluate because there are players I have higher in mind than the math works out. Poltapov is one of those.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I have Novikov by a hair but are you sure he wasn't an impact player? He hasn't flashed a ton offensively but he has some tools and I get the feeling that opposing players know when he's on the ice.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Meh, the reality is that the vast majority of North Americans aren’t going to have seen much, if any, KHL (or MHL or VHL) hockey, so people are probably giving Novikov credit for being a trusted regular in a top men’s league at such a young age. Plus I hear he looked good at dev camp.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I have Novikov by a hair but are you sure he wasn't an impact player? He hasn't flashed a ton offensively but he has some tools and I get the feeling that opposing players know when he's on the ice.
In the absolute majority of the KHL games this season he was getting only the 7th D role, with decent icetime for that role though, but still just that, not to mention that when the playoffs started his icetime just shrunk. Might be a matter of definitions, of course, but that's not what I would call an impact.

Meh, the reality is that the vast majority of North Americans aren’t going to have seen much, if any, KHL (or MHL or VHL) hockey, so people are probably giving Novikov credit for being a trusted regular in a top men’s league at such a young age. Plus I hear he looked good at dev camp.
As I written above I'm kind of not exactly agreeing to the "trusted regular" part.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005

If I were to guess, it's because Nova is a defenseman, and up until very recently the Sabres defensive pool has been probably the weakest area.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
In the absolute majority of the KHL games this season he was getting only the 7th D role, with decent icetime for that role though, but still just that, not to mention that when the playoffs started his icetime just shrunk. Might be a matter of definitions, of course, but that's not what I would call an impact.

As I written above I'm kind of not exactly agreeing to the "trusted regular" part.
I appreciate this. Do you think his ice time was limited due to age or did he just not look great in his role?

Reactions: Caser

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008

Been waiting for a post like this, I was curious as to your opinion on the matter. Thanks for sharing, as always!

Seems like this is the big year for Poltapov to be really impactful for his club? Hopefully he push himself into our upper echelon of prospects in the eyes of most of our guys who don't get the chance to watch him.

What do you think his ceiling is?

Last edited:

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
@tsujimoto74 Always appreciate the effort put into these. You show where said players moved up and down from last year's list, but maybe always post a link in the OP of the previous year's list as well? Just to compare?

HERE

Reactions: JLewyB

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
Neuchev
Add von Barnekow-Lofberg

Glad to start seeing some Neuchev love. Are there prospects that are more likely to make it than him? Yeah probably. But I reckon his goal-scoring might set him a higher ceiling.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Amen. Imo Sabres positional depth shouldn't be coming into play in these polls. Just straight potential-times-likeihood, value to a generic NHL team in a trade. Poltapov is head and shoulders above Novikov for me.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I appreciate this. Do you think his ice time was limited due to age or did he just not look great in his role?
To start, his age was one of the main factors that he was with the KHL team at all, as it is allowed to have 7 Ds only if one of them is U20 and here Novikov didn't really have much competition. Still Dynamo is a strong team that puts emphasize on the D, so his contribution in this role was decent, just, as I wrote, it wasn't really too impactful.

Been waiting for a post like this, I was curious as to your opinion on the matter. Thanks for sharing, as always!

Seems like this is the big year for Poltapov to be really impactful for his club? Hopefully he push himself into our upper echelon of prospects in the eyes of most of our guys who don't get the chance to watch him.

What do you think his ceiling is?
Poltapov really put the expectation bar high after these playoffs, as there were games when he was the best player on ice for the CSKA (it also had to do with him having much fresher legs than other players, but still). So yes, a big year since he needs to translate this impressive yet a bit short playoff performance into a consistent one throughout the season. As for the ceiling even though I've usually been on the skeptical side with him I think it now should be viewed as of a top-six W.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
To start, his age was one of the main factors that he was with the KHL team at all, as it is allowed to have 7 Ds only if one of them is U20 and here Novikov didn't really have much competition. Still Dynamo is a strong team that puts emphasize on the D, so his contribution in this role was decent, just, as I wrote, it wasn't really too impactful.

Poltapov really put the expectation bar high after these playoffs, as there were games when he was the best player on ice for the CSKA (it also had to do with him having much fresher legs than other players, but still). So yes, a big year since he needs to translate this impressive yet a bit short playoff performance into a consistent one throughout the season. As for the ceiling even though I've usually been on the skeptical side with him I think it now should be viewed as of a top-six W.
I did not know that about young defensemen in the KHL. Appreciate that

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Novikov is Power's partner in the near future. It's a hill I am willing to die on. He's gonna be legit.

I like Whalberg but it seems power forwards never really work out for us, Evander Kane and Rick Nash are the two that were stars. Not many after stand out if any.

I would vote Whalberg next tho if Novikov won.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt Ress

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Novikov is Power's partner in the near future. It's a hill I am willing to die on. He's gonna be legit.

I like Whalberg but it seems power forwards never really work out for us, Evander Kane and Rick Nash are the two that were stars. Not many after stand out if any.

I would vote Whalberg next tho if Novikov won.
wait....what?

Reactions: HOOats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad