15. Vsevolod Komarov, D (NR)
  16. Alexander Kisakov, W (-4)
  17. Olivier Nadeau, W/C (+3)
  18. Gavin McCarthy, D (NR)
  19. Mats Lindgren, D (-1)
  20. Topias Leinonen, G (+1)
  21. Filip Cederqvist, W (+1)
  22. Ethan Miedema, W (NR)

RULES: Each poll will remain open for 2 days. In the case of a tie within the top 10, I'll create a 1-day runoff poll to decide the winner. Ties outside of the top 10 will be let stand as ties. For each additional poll, I will add the most commented next to add prospect.

ELIGIBILITY: All players whose rights are held by the Buffalo Sabres and who are eligible to win the Calder Trophy for the 2023-24 season are eligible inclusion. That means a prospect is eligible if--
  • He is under age 26 (as of September 15, 2023);
  • He has played no more than 25 games in any single preceding season; and
  • He has not played 6 or more games in each of any two or more preceding seasons.

#23 spot goes to Jake Richard.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
How ridiculous is it that we might have Team Canada’s WJC starting goalie as our #24 prospect?
Less ridiculous than having Finlands likely backup at 20 after another atrocious season

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Less ridiculous than having Finlands likely backup at 20 after another atrocious season
I like NCAA for goalie development, but those players have a lot of leverage when it comes to where they go since most of they stay 4 years. Even a sniff of competition at the pro level, and they can go elsewhere.

I have not been and am still not a fan of the Sabres goalie development strategy. Hitting that sweet spot of development and NHL graduation has been a huge challenge.

Reactions: Matt Ress

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
I like NCAA for goalie development, but those players have a lot of leverage when it comes to where they go since most of they stay 4 years. Even a sniff of competition at the pro level, and they can go elsewhere.

I have not been and am still not a fan of the Sabres goalie development strategy. Hitting that sweet spot of development and NHL graduation has been a huge challenge.

Just throwing it out there, but every Sabres goalie drafted since 2007 has played an NHL game.

Nick Eno and Bradley Einess were the last Sabres goalies drafted to not play in the NHL.

(Excluding Topias, Ratzlaff and Portillo since they’re too new to have played)

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

You say it like Leinonen has had multiple poor seasons. He had a solid year in the Finnish U-20 league in 21/22....which is why he got drafted in the 2nd round (that and his physical talent).

Yes, he had a poor year last year -- but it's not like he's stacked poor year over poor year.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Just throwing it out there, but every Sabres goalie drafted since 2007 has played an NHL game.

Nick Eno and Bradley Einess were the last Sabres goalies drafted to not play in the NHL.

(Excluding Topias, Ratzlaff and Portillo since they’re too new to have played)

I had a good conversation with Brad Eidness way back when. Seemed like a chill dude. Was kind of surprised he didn't get a look, based on what I saw on-ice, but maybe I caught him on a good day.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

Sometimes I wonder if the NCAA is a good league for players to develop. Kids like it because there's chicks and parties and it gives them the most options. Can't blame em. But Euro system and concentration of the USNTP seem most effective. Two cents

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's that time in the polls where I just vote Weissbach continuously until he wins.

I can appreciate Badger loyalty. And it's possible there are players yet to be voted onto the list who could see time in the Sabres lineup this year, Weissbach perhaps first among them. Depending on camp, someone may emerge to create competition at that 12/13/14 forward spot and he is certainly in the running for that.

Reactions: WiHockeyGuy

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I had a good conversation with Brad Eidness way back when. Seemed like a chill dude. Was kind of surprised he didn't get a look, based on what I saw on-ice, but maybe I caught him on a good day.
He’s a corporate lawyer now, apparently. I had to look him up as his stats at UND looked really solid and I wondered why he just suddenly stopped playing hockey entirely after his senior year.

• Wow
Reactions: TheMistyStranger

WiHockeyGuy

Jan 6, 2017
The Dairy State
I can appreciate Badger loyalty. And it's possible there are players yet to be voted onto the list who could see time in the Sabres lineup this year, Weissbach perhaps first among them. Depending on camp, someone may emerge to create competition at that 12/13/14 forward spot and he is certainly in the running for that.
I could see him filling that Tim Kennedy type role. Hopefully he gets a shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad