• Gunnarwolf Fontaine

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Going Wood here. I know there was a lot of discussion in the other thread about how Wood has yet to "prove himself" like Kemell or others, but being the best player on his team as the youngest player in NCAA is very impressive to me. Among our top forward prospects I think there is a lot of splitting hairs, but I think Wood has the highest upside of any of the forwards so that gives him the slight edge to me.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Tough choice for me here. Both kemell and wood present a huge upside. Wood had an amazing year as a 17/18 year old in the NCAA. Kemell did amazing once coming over to NA. Feels like it could go either way tbh. I throw my pick to Kemell with Wood next.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I’m a bit surprised so far. Are people forgetting just how well Parsinnen played last year before his injury?
Draft position and recency bias for me. I cant speak for others but being a 7th round draft pick has my expectations tempered. There are some notable late round picks (zetterberg, Datsyuk) but not alot of them. Odds arent in his favor but his body of work is exciting. Even then I think ive got him 4th behind wood/kemell personally.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Going Wood here. I know there was a lot of discussion in the other thread about how Wood has yet to "prove himself" like Kemell or others, but being the best player on his team as the youngest player in NCAA is very impressive to me. Among our top forward prospects I think there is a lot of splitting hairs, but I think Wood has the highest upside of any of the forwards so that gives him the slight edge to me.
Agreed, which is why I had Wood #1 overall (although with the provided preface that between the top 3 guys there isn't much to differentiate them in a ranking). I just believe a guy who is going to play at 6'4"/215ish and has accomplished all that Wood has so far stands out relative to smaller guys. If he was JUST bigger, of course that wouldn't count by itself. But he's bigger AND has as much or more offensive upside as any of them. I believe Wood would have been drafted higher than Askarov or Kemell had he been in the same 2020 or 2022 draft classes as them, he would have been a top-10 pick in those years.

It is nevertheless a great "problem to have" that we can have not just these 3 (Wood, Askarov, and Kemell) who haven't made the NHL yet, but also the other 3 who we are ready to lean on in the coming season (Parssinen, Evangelista, and Tomasino). I don't know what the typical "success rate" is for a given team's top-10 prospects becoming NHL players? Probably it is less than 50% make it? It's still possible we could end up below 50% from our top-10. But man, that would really surprise me.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Agreed, which is why I had Wood #1 overall (although with the provided preface that between the top 3 guys there isn't much to differentiate them in a ranking). I just believe a guy who is going to play at 6'4"/215ish and has accomplished all that Wood has so far stands out relative to smaller guys. If he was JUST bigger, of course that wouldn't count by itself. But he's bigger AND has as much or more offensive upside as any of them. I believe Wood would have been drafted higher than Askarov or Kemell had he been in the same 2020 or 2022 draft classes as them, he would have been a top-10 pick in those years.

It is nevertheless a great "problem to have" that we can have not just these 3 (Wood, Askarov, and Kemell) who haven't made the NHL yet, but also the other 3 who we are ready to lean on in the coming season (Parssinen, Evangelista, and Tomasino). I don't know what the typical "success rate" is for a given team's top-10 prospects becoming NHL players? Probably it is less than 50% make it? It's still possible we could end up below 50% from our top-10. But man, that would really surprise me.
We could certainly do some math if we had a singular website ranking platform to base it from. I went through our round by round success earlier this month. If I had old prospect pool ranking to look at it should be even easier.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Draft position and recency bias for me. I cant speak for others but being a 7th round draft pick has my expectations tempered. There are some notable late round picks (zetterberg, Datsyuk) but not alot of them. Odds arent in his favor but his body of work is exciting. Even then I think ive got him 4th behind wood/kemell personally.
I’d argue that Parsinnen’s body of work in both the AHL and NHL last season before his injury was better than any other prospect in the system. He handled top six center duties and didn’t look out of place as a 21 year old. He was centering the top line during the period that Forsberg was have his best success. His body positioning to protect the puck, his ability to pull the puck out of board scrums, and his play away from the puck was better than any of the other players that got called up.

Just my opinion though.

Reactions: Olderfan

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I’d argue that Parsinnen’s body of work in both the AHL and NHL last season before his injury was better than any other prospect in the system. He handled top six center duties and didn’t look out of place as a 21 year old. He was centering the top line during the period that Forsberg was have his best success. His body positioning to protect the puck, his ability to pull the puck out of board scrums, and his play away from the puck was better than any of the other players that got called up.

Just my opinion though.
Goes back to potential vs current results argument. Parssinen's current body of work bodes well for a NHL career. Does he have top line potential? I certainly hope so but that goes back to my statement about him being a 7th round pick holding back my hopes for him. Its a twisted mess of hope and 2nd guessing.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Goes back to potential vs current results argument. Parssinen's current body of work bodes well for a NHL career. Does he have top line potential? I certainly hope so but that goes back to my statement about him being a 7th round pick holding back my hopes for him. Its a twisted mess of hope and 2nd guessing.
He was drafted during the Covid year when scouts didn’t have much to go on. I understand your point about the success of late round draft picks, not sure the argument applies as greatly towards that draft class as much as others in my opinion. I base my opinion off what I’ve physically witnessed him do last year and for me, it was more impressive than anything any of the other prospects especially because of the leagues he did it in.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
He was drafted during the Covid year when scouts didn’t have much to go on. I understand your point about the success of late round draft picks, not sure the argument applies as greatly towards that draft class as much as others in my opinion. I base my opinion off what I’ve physically witnessed him do last year and for me, it was more impressive than anything any of the other prospects especially because of the leagues he did it in.

I like Parsinnen (he's #3 in my personal rankings), but I think with him it is a bit of a floor versus ceiling thing. He likely has the highest floor of any of the top prospects in our pool, but I'm not sure he has All-Star potential like some of the other guys do.

Also, for what it's worth Parsinenn was drafted in 2019 so pre-Covid. Him being among the older guys in this exercise also may play into him getting (slightly) overlooked.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
I like Parsinnen (he's #3 in my personal rankings), but I think with him it is a bit of a floor versus ceiling thing. He likely has the highest floor of any of the top prospects in our pool, but I'm not sure he has All-Star potential like some of the other guys do.

Also, for what it's worth Parsinenn was drafted in 2019 so pre-Covid. Him being among the older guys in this exercise also may play into him getting (slightly) overlooked.
My bad. I thought 2019 was the wacky season that got shortened due to Covid hitting. I’ve got Old Timers disease, CRS Iis a symptom.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
My bad. I thought 2019 was the wacky season that got shortened due to Covid hitting. I’ve got Old Timers disease, CRS Iis a symptom.
Well technically it did, 2019-2020 was the first year, 2020-2021 was the second. I guess some of it comes down in how you think of the season.

If he was drafted in 2019 though that would have been before that first season started.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Well technically it did, 2019-2020 was the first year, 2020-2021 was the second. I guess some of it comes down in how you think of the season.

If he was drafted in 2019 though that would have been before that first season started.
The thing I remember reading about Parssinen is that he had a lot of injury trouble from like ages 15-17, like 3 serious knee surgeries, and while it didn't entirely keep him from playing games each season, he spent a lot of offseasons unable to train or work out at all, and there were fears he was just one more surgery away from needing to hang them up. So that probably is the biggest thing that affected his low draft position. :dunno:

He has 3 younger brothers playing hockey, btw. Jiri is a D, undrafted at 21, the younger ones Julius and Jesse are forwards, 17 and 15. That's a hungry family, yikes.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Went with Wood because I think he's more well-rounded than Kemell, but it's kind of close.

Also, I'm pushy enough to suggest/insist that the poll options ideally should be in alphabetical order. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad