Red Sox/MLB 2023 Off Season - Xander Bogaerts and Padres agree to 11-year, $280M deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
So Hosmer will be moved in the next 10 days

Not a fan tbh, Mills is spaghetti to throw at the wall for the pen I guess. I think Wallace has a lot more upside, may not make it though. He’s more boom or bust, but I’d rather that in this situation

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
No reason for Hosmer to waive his ntc so he's likely just done.

The strategy appears to be stock up the pen to make up for lackluster starting, with high probability of flipping some arms at the deadline when you're out of contention.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
It’s the largest contract in team history, surpassing the four-year, $73 million deal Yasmani Grandal signed entering 2020.

Isn’t AB just a better version of the guy they just signed from Japan?

Reactions: KrejciMVP

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
They must need Hosmer's roster spot for Garret Cooper or some other AAAA player. Fine with me, since Hosmer had next to nothing left.

Edit I see they acquired Mills. I am not familiar with him but was hoping for a better position player.

Walkenthewalk

Dec 10, 2008
1671236271999.jpeg

5 year plan bwahahaha!!

Reactions: quietbruinfan

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I've always been generally a pro-Bloom guy, or at least patient enough to let things develop, but within the last week or two I think I've completely lost faith in the organizational direction.

Reactions: bbfan419

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
I don't mean this in a snarky way at all... but why would Henry want to devalue the team before he sells it?
I don't agree he's intentionally devaluing the team but it's easier to move an asset with fewer future financial obligations, and the plan this off-season appears to be no long-term commitments and load up with cheap or short-term guys who can be moved no problem.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
I don't mean this in a snarky way at all... but why would Henry want to devalue the team before he sells it?
I am puzzled as well. Somebody with a business background may be able to speak to the validity of this, but maybe Henry thinks the value of the team etc is bloated and makes it a difficult sell?

Edit: What I mean is the valuation was made on past growth and past accomplishments and maybe Henry feels there is nothing more to develop,off the field in particular.

Last edited:

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
I am puzzled as well. Somebody with a business background may be able to speak to the validity of this, but maybe Henry thinks the value of the team etc is bloated and makes it a difficult sell?

Edit: What I mean is the valuation was made on past growth and past accomplishments and maybe Henry feels there is nothing more to develop,off the field in particular.
See, I don't even know if that's true, because they're about to start on the Fenway Corners development.

And if they're looking to sell, I don't see how the team having some really good player signed to a long-term contract works out to be a huge negative.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
See, I don't even know if that's true, because they're about to start on the Fenway Corners development.

And if they're looking to sell, I don't see how the team having some really good player signed to a long-term contract works out to be a huge negative.
I am puzzled too. ...I know during Bloom's second year I called him a corporate raider in results if not in actual fact, but I was being hyperbolic. Maybe it mostly comes down to Bloom being exceptionally awful. Remember, Henry has called out management's payroll. ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad