Post-Game Talk: 2023 NHL Playoffs - Round 1: Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Toronto Maple Leafs

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
Yeah for sure. I like that Raddysh looks to shoot instead of deferring to his partner every time. Perbix still reminds me of Stralman. Hard to believe he's a rookie.
Raddysh is listed at 6-1 and 200. Not sure about that. But, if he adds about 10 and improves his anticipation, he's a bona fide 2-3 pair D man in this league. Same for Perbix, and he only needs some strength and experience.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Raddysh is listed at 6-1 and 200. Not sure about that. But, if he adds about 10 and improves his anticipation, he's a bona fide 2-3 pair D man in this league. Same for Perbix, and he only needs some strength and experience.
Yeah thats noticeable but good thing is that sort of thing gets improved with experience. I like his skating and transition game. Something we desperately need.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Way too high on Raddysh, at best he's a decent offensive defenseman, I don't see anything more than a 5/6. He's 27, that defensive game isn't going to improve drastically.

Perbix is similar to Cernak who came in and adapted right away, a high floor type of player but I doubt he gets significantly better than what he is right now. Think he rounds out his game and becomes a solid #3, he's already playing as a decent #4 right now.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Way too high on Raddysh, at best he's a decent offensive defenseman, I don't see anything more than a 5/6. He's 27, that defensive game isn't going to improve drastically.

Perbix is similar to Cernak who came in and adapted right away, a high floor type of player but I doubt he gets significantly better than what he is right now. Think he rounds out his game and becomes a solid #3, he's already playing as a decent #4 right now.
Yeah but thats all we really need. Our defense has been fine. It's been the asstastic play from a "vet" we signed unable to cover his guy down low. An upgrade there and Raddysh with experience (he's coughed up a couple as well) and the back end isn't too shambolic. 2020-2021 level? No but it doesn't need to be.

I think our defense will round into a faster tempo with Raddysh and Perbix. Both are hitting some nice stretch passes already. More experience will only help them. It just sucks we lost Cernak this round.

Reactions: Renopucker

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Yeah but thats all we really need. Our defense has been fine. It's been the asstastic play from a "vet" we signed unable to cover his guy down low. An upgrade there and Raddysh with experience (he's coughed up a couple as well) and the back end isn't too shambolic. 2020-2021 level? No but it doesn't need to be.

I think our defense will round into a faster tempo with Raddysh and Perbix. Both are hitting some nice stretch passes already. More experience will only help them. It just sucks we lost Cernak this round.

Raddysh would've been perfect if we still had McDonagh, we're definitely now lacking in defensive defenseman. I honestly wonder what this playoff would look like if McD were still here instead of Stamkos.

You're right on faster tempo and we'll maintain a high offense with those 2, need a left handed defensive defenseman this off season for sure. Cole is just garbage defensively. Edler would be a good target but I have this sneaking feeling JBB is going to sign Marc Staal...

Last edited:

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Raddysh would've been perfect if we still had McDonagh, we're definitely now lacking in defensive defenseman. I honestly wonder what this playoff would look like if McD were still here instead of Stamkos.

You're right on faster tempo and we'll maintain a high offense with those 2, need a left handed defensive defenseman this off season for sure. Cole is just garbage defensively. Edler would be a good target but I have this sneaking feeling JBB is going to sign Marc Staal...
To be fair, we miss the McD from our cup years, he was such a big part of us winning twice and would definitely make a difference.

.. however he didn't have a good playoff series last season and 2023 McD isn't the player he was back then, so it was sadly the right timing to move on.

But I agree we are missing a player like that, even more so with Cernak out.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
To be fair, we miss the McD from our cup years, he was such a big part of us winning twice and would definitely make a difference.

.. however he didn't have a good playoff series last season and 2023 McD isn't the player he was back then, so it was sadly the right timing to move on.

But I agree we are missing a player like that, even more so with Cernak out.

By that same logic Killorn couldn't have possibly rebounded after last years playoffs and we should've traded him too. Not saying moving him was wrong but he very easily could've rebounded.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
By that same logic Killorn couldn't have possibly rebounded after last years playoffs and we should've traded him too. Not saying moving him was wrong but he very easily could've rebounded.
Yeah that is fair enough, there is a chance he could've bounced back, but it's a difficult balance act to make, given age and contract. You put all eggs in a basket, hoping he can bounce back, if not you cripple the team for another four years.

Reactions: Renopucker

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Last season totally erased that. Only an absolutely moronic mouth breather would believe coming up only 2 wins short without a #1 center is evidence that a shortened season is the only reason a team is good. Just a mindless parrot attempt at trolling.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
I have a sick feeling this one is gonna go like game 4 vsCBJ, and the wheels are gonna come all the way off.,
Same. If Bunting plays, someone will take a major against him trying to make him "pay" and we'll give up 3goals on the major + add'l 2min "game management" they give to another Bolt.

I'm hoping for Vasy to turn into elimination game Vasy, but I have maybe 3% confidence he's even capable of that, at this point.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016

Bunting needs to get what is coming to him. Win or lose, the entire Leafs team should be on notice. If not tomorrow, then next season….there needs to be a price to pay. Cernek is probably sitting in a dark room with Headaches. Pointer got run into a wall….newsflash his line sucked on Monday defensively and he’s the only real two defensive heavyweight on that line when healthy. Lightning are probably up 3-1 if Toronto isn’t dirty.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I have a sick feeling this one is gonna go like game 4 vsCBJ, and the wheels are gonna come all the way off.,
I have the opposite feeling. I think Vassy is gonna throw caution to the wind and play out of his mind.

Tim Smith

Jun 24, 2021
Bunting needs to get what is coming to him. Win or lose, the entire Leafs team should be on notice. If not tomorrow, then next season….there needs to be a price to pay. Cernek is probably sitting in a dark room with Headaches. Pointer got run into a wall….newsflash his line sucked on Monday defensively and he’s the only real two defensive heavyweight on that line when healthy. Lightning are probably up 3-1 if Toronto isn’t dirty.
Agreed, the best way Tampa can repay this legally is to check hard and often as long as they stay in the scheme of their game. This is there Game #7

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Bunting's hit was dirty. Please don't fall into the same excuse-laden b.s. that losers latch onto. Winning the Stanley Cup is more about luck than anyone wants to admit.

Dipshit in the series talk thread writing theses about how the COVID Cup was somehow not even worth considering a championship and then citing 5 different things that really just boil down to luck.

Bunting concussing Cernak for the entire series is lucky for them. It's dirty, but it's lucky for them. Pointer likely having a cracked sternum a la Stamkos getting destroyed by Orpik is lucky for them.

Tavares getting smoked in the bubble was lucky for Montreal. Point missing last year was lucky for the Avs.

This team choked epically in game 4. Vasy has been dogshit. The team knows Vasy has been dogshit and hasn't adapted to cover for him. The Leafs are an offensively gifted team who has adapted their style of play to score goals in a more workman-like manner.

Lightning are definitely up 3-1 if they finished games 3-4 like they have in the past and their goaltender isn't out to lunch mentally.

Reactions: DFC

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
I'm going to take this time to reiterate my somewhat unusual POV that I actually prefer being the road team in this series (and in most series). Besides our home record in series openers being generally awful, I just like the idea of the crowd in Toronto being as much of a pressure point for the Leafs as it will be for us. I also like that, as the road team, we're the only team that has a stretch where three out of four games are in our building and, naturally, they're all later in the series (3, 4, 6).

We were playing like crap for a while, but it has begun to feel a bit more zipped up of late. Whether it's enough to beat Toronto, who knows. Hopefully we get an early scalp in Toronto and make them feel the heat and see what that does to them. It's far more of a mental battle than a physical battle at this point for them. Toronto is good enough to beat anybody, but so many squandered chances; every game they've had a chance to clinch a series, they've lost (nine games in total across five straight playoff/play-in appearances; madness). It wears on you when you know you've had chance after chance to close and just keep failing to do it.
So the Lightning were just lucky to go on the run they have since 2015? Sorry don’t buy it

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven

IMG_4322.gif

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
The Bolts should have responded with an eye for an eye. Toronto traded Bunting for Cernak (and got Eyssimont and Point for free); we should have traded Jeannot for Matthews/Marner/Reilly. We instead took the high road and have been the worse for it.

Reactions: Lightning1995

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad