Votes: 1 2.6%
  • BPA no matter what position

Votes: 23 59.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Corey Pronman's latest list(behind paywall, The Athletic)

It's pretty interesting given that it includes him watching the U-18 world championships, which are always a huge influence on the final draft board for teams.

Sadly(for me) guys like Samuel Honzek and Tom Willander are rising like crazy and most likely won't be around when we're on the clock.
On the other hand, Axel Sandin-Pelikka, Charlie Stramel and Eduard Sale would be right around our pick on this list.

I'm also curious how many swedish kids will get picked in the top 40 given how well the swedish U-18 national team played.

One guy mentiioned in the first round, that I hadn't seen before is center David Edstrom.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Corey Pronman's latest list(behind paywall, The Athletic)

It's pretty interesting given that it includes him watching the U-18 world championships, which are always a huge influence on the final draft board for teams.

Sadly(for me) guys like Samuel Honzek and Tom Willander are rising like crazy and most likely won't be around when we're on the clock.
On the other hand, Axel Sandin-Pelikka, Charlie Stramel and Eduard Sale would be right around our pick on this list.

I'm also curious how many swedish kids will get picked in the top 40 given how well the swedish U-18 national team played.

One guy mentiioned in the first round, that I hadn't seen before is center David Edstrom.

Do we think the Kraken would want to draft for the current playstyle - high speed heavy forecheck?

Matthew Wood could be a big scorer but won't be able to keep up with the current style.

There are some very good D that should be available in that range around #21 (if they stay there). If not Willander, then Simashev is a good pick. Great defender that also transitions pucks with ease. Both look like #2D types to me.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Do we think the Kraken would want to draft for the current playstyle - high speed heavy forecheck?

Matthew Wood could be a big scorer but won't be able to keep up with the current style.

There are some very good D that should be available in that range around #21 (if they stay there). If not Willander, then Simashev is a good pick. Great defender that also transitions pucks with ease. Both look like #2D types to me.

I think you take the BPA.
But of course, at #21, you can look a little bit closer at positions.

As far as Wood goes.
There are quite a few different takes on him but in todays NHL you need to be able to skate and that's also something Francis has put a priority on when building this team.

Though, if he's a guy that can mix it up a little bit and combine skill with some physicality up front(which we don't have) that could work.

Overall I think there's many ways we'll be able to go with this pick(depending on where it ends up being, given that it would move down to #29 if we made it tot he WCF) and I wouldn't be surprised if we got a chance to take a prospect no one really thinks about right now cause someon has to fall.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
I agree with that. I think in today's league you put a priority on skating ability. Certain aspects can be taught and lots of these kids can add weight and muscle in the right training programs but if they are poor skaters they will have a hard time being NHL players.

Sometimes worth taking a chance on lesser known Euro players with good skating skills who might be late bloomers. Always good to know their character too. You want guys who work to be better and not guys who think they are all that.

You take BPA but very often later on you have 3 or 4 guys ranked about the same (if not more) so then maybe you take the positional need or want out of that grouping.

We need to put more young goalies in the system as well. Draft one in a later round at least.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I agree with that. I think in today's league you put a priority on skating ability. Certain aspects can be taught and lots of these kids can add weight and muscle in the right training programs but if they are poor skaters they will have a hard time being NHL players.

Sometimes worth taking a chance on lesser known Euro players with good skating skills who might be late bloomers. Always good to know their character too. You want guys who work to be better and not guys who think they are all that.

You take BPA but very often later on you have 3 or 4 guys ranked about the same (if not more) so then maybe you take the positional need or want out of that grouping.

We need to put more young goalies in the system as well. Draft one in a later round at least.

I would take a goalie in rounds 2 - 4.

Seemsl like a lot of guys(Hrabal, Gajan, Augstine etc.) should be available in that range and we've got five picks in those three rounds.

Reactions: GrungeHockey

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Even if we stand pat, our odds of finding a really good player there in the second are better than average, getting 3 shots on the roulette wheel.

Sure.

Though, I wouldn't mind trying to upgrade at least one of those 2nd rounders into another top 40 selection.

Currently we have picks.
50(Winnipeg)
57(Toronto)
168(Washington)

BTW: Anyone interested in having some fun can use those tools.

Reactions: tank44

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Sure.

Though, I wouldn't mind trying to upgrade at least one of those 2nd rounders into another top 40 selection.

Currently we have picks.
50(Winnipeg)
57(Toronto)
168(Washington)

BTW: Anyone interested in having some fun can use those tools.

3 out of 8 straight picks. Could get really creative with that kind of freedom. A nice spot to have them too, still in the "probably will find success" zone. Could end up solidifying some prospect needs over those 3 (D).

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
i looked back at 2022 entry draft for pick 20 and expect wait for around 2 hours and 30 to 2 hours 40mins at least before our first pick

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
3 out of 8 straight picks. Could get really creative with that kind of freedom. A nice spot to have them too, still in the "probably will find success" zone. Could end up solidifying some prospect needs over those 3 (D).
The scouting group has done an amazing job so far. I can see them move up but ONLY if there is a prospect they consider as surefire. Given how most of our picks have developed so far, they may just prefer the quantity unless they are totally sold on a specific prospect and consider moving up for him.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
If Nate Danielson is still there when we pick (unlikely) I'm snatching him up. Potential future Yanni Gourde type.
Otherwise Willander or Bonk, both D.
Gabriel Perreault is still my wild card and I would not be upset if they picked him.

I'd also favour D in later rounds and would draft a goalie somewhere later unless BPA doesn't allow it. Usually in later rounds the BPA is more debatable so you can look a little more at need and development curves.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
If Nate Danielson is still there when we pick (unlikely) I'm snatching him up. Potential future Yanni Gourde type.
Otherwise Willander or Bonk, both D.
Gabriel Perreault is still my wild card and I would not be upset if they picked him.

I'd also favour D in later rounds and would draft a goalie somewhere later unless BPA doesn't allow it. Usually in later rounds the BPA is more debatable so you can look a little more at need and development curves.
This seems like a pretty forward heavy class. I would not be shocked to see some really good D-men available where we pick. The current draft picks outside of the top-5/6 seem rather all over the place. Does still seem like a lot of good options will be available at 20. Both at F and D.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Pretty freaking amazing how far we went into the playoffs staying pat at the TDL and still have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds.

This team isn't the Lightning or Penguins who have aging stars and should be going all in each year until those stars fade away/retire. If you want to have long-term success you should be building long term and that means through the draft.

Between Beniers and Wright they should have their center position set for the next decade. Now look to keep adding talent through the draft and grow a core together.

Also the Kraken will have about 10M in cap space after they resign all their RFAs and add a backup goalie. That a good emount to take on another quality player in a trade and/or a UFA signing (although it's a pretty weak UFA class).

That just need to make sure they don't gum up their cap with overpriced veterans (on long-term contracts). Build around Beniers/Wright. That's the key for long term success.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
This team isn't the Lightning or Penguins who have aging stars and should be going all in each year until those stars fade away/retire. If you want to have long-term success you should be building long term and that means through the draft.

Between Beniers and Wright they should have their center position set for the next decade. Now look to keep adding talent through the draft and grow a core together.

Also the Kraken will have about 10M in cap space after they resign all their RFAs and add a backup goalie. That a good emount to take on another quality player in a trade and/or a UFA signing (although it's a pretty weak UFA class).

That just need to make sure they don't gum up their cap with overpriced veterans (on long-term contracts). Build around Beniers/Wright. That's the key for long term success.
The UFA class for next year does NOT look to be great. Our best bet might be using one of the extra 2nd round picks, and try to land an impact player from a cash strapped team. We don't need any salary retention to do that and players may be more open to being traded to Seattle after our playoff run. Plus the no state income tax does not hurt.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The UFA class for next year does NOT look to be great. Our best bet might be using one of the extra 2nd round picks, and try to land an impact player from a cash strapped team. We don't need any salary retention to do that and players may be more open to being traded to Seattle after our playoff run. Plus the no state income tax does not hurt.

Agree with this...As long as those players are young(ish). No reason to trade 2nd round picks in a good/deep draft for players with maybe 1-2 good years left.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
This seems like a pretty forward heavy class. I would not be shocked to see some really good D-men available where we pick. The current draft picks outside of the top-5/6 seem rather all over the place. Does still seem like a lot of good options will be available at 20. Both at F and D.

Yeah.
Someone will fall and become available at #20 even though people thought he would go in the 10 - 15 range.

That will most likely be a forward(probably a winger) cause there's loads of them.

I also think that U-18 tournament change a few things, especially since scouts and teams heavily use that for their final rankings.

Sweden was really good in that tournament(lost the final in OT against the US) and that's why you see guys like Tom Willander, Anton Wahlstrom or David Edstrom all of a sudden moving up in different mock drafts.

Persoanlly I still like guys like Samuel Honzek, Riley Heidt and Tom Willander a lot.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Yeah. Preferably players on RFA deals. Definitely no one over 27-28.

Right, but what quality/young players are on an RFA deal that could be had for just a 2nd rounder? Timo Meier has a ridiculous 10M qualifying offer this summer and the Sharks still got a 1st, 2nd, and more.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
I agree with this. I think the lists vary so much because there are quite a few players all roughly the same. Pretty hard to tell which one is a clear 19 and which a 20 etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad