Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I saw one of the mock drafts with the Avs taking Rasmus Kumpulainen. He's 6'2 and around 180. Does this seem realistic?

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
When we do draft recently we go for either defensive depth or something we sorely need. I think center is the apt choice but I really don’t know many centers that would be around late first worth really caring about.

I doubt we even have a first though. We’re going to be throwing it at 2C sometime in early 2023.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
When we do draft recently we go for either defensive depth or something we sorely need. I think center is the apt choice but I really don’t know many centers that would be around late first worth really caring about.

I doubt we even have a first though. We’re going to be throwing it at 2C sometime in early 2023.

They could very well trade that 1st, but then get a higher 1st back at the draft if they opt to move Toews or Girard for futures due to cap reasons.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

I could see a vet being moved for picks to open up cap space.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

The fact that Sale is 13th is crazy and shows just how deep this draft is. Sale would be pushing top 5 in most drafts since 2015 and he's right now a mid 1st guy. Unreal.

Reactions: arun

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Remember the name David Reinbacher... he's likely to either be the biggest riser in this draft or the guy who surprises out of nowhere to be a top pairing guy at 20.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019

The fact that Sale is 13th is crazy and shows just how deep this draft is. Sale would be pushing top 5 in most drafts since 2015 and he's right now a mid 1st guy. Unreal.
Sale's my favorite prospect of the draft - I have him 5 on my personal list.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Sale's my favorite prospect of the draft - I have him 5 on my personal list.
He’s crazy talented, but I have been extremely disappointed with him this year. Kid is allergic to the dirty areas this year and he’s not talented enough to play like that.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Ah those Sale stats are from junior league. I was about to freak out. Anyone who scores over one goal per game in a mens league would go #1. Has there ever been someone like that?

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
He’s crazy talented, but I have been extremely disappointed with him this year. Kid is allergic to the dirty areas this year and he’s not talented enough to play like that.
I haven't watched him in Czech, but loved his game at Under 18s and Hlinka Gretzky. Looking forward to seeing him at World Juniors.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I saw one of the mock drafts with the Avs taking Rasmus Kumpulainen. He's 6'2 and around 180. Does this seem realistic?

I'm not so familiar of Rasmus Kumpulainen so i can't say much.
Basically everything is possible if Kumpulainen has good or very good U18 WJC's next april
and if Joni Lehto keeps Kumpulainen high value then he might be avalanche pick
somewhere late 1st round or rounds 2 to 7.

But i'm also seen one mock draft where Avalanche was taking Kasper Halttunen 26th overall.
Halttunen is 6'3 LW / RW and he was one of Finland's best players in U18 WJC's this past April.

Halttunen is scoring winger so his game lives on scoring so he needs center to feed him.
This season Halttunen has played in HIFK's SM liiga team and U20 team.

In 10 games into U20 SM sarja Halttunen has scored 15 points ( 9 goals 6 assists ).
HIFK's liiga team Halttunen has played 14 games and scored only 1 point ( 1 assist )
so his scoring hasn't translated yet to SM liiga so well but that's more of
HIFK serious lack of center depth than Halttunen's lack for skill or scoring.

Based on that what i have read for other HIFK fans Halttuen has been almost every game
most visible player for HIFK's disappointing SM liiga team and he's showed so flashes of his talent
and most HIFK fans are believing of his break-out next year in SM liiga.

Halttunen also was London Knights 1st round pick in 2022 CHL import draft
but he decided to stay in Finland for his draft year.

Halttunen also had an concussion earlier this season
when opposite defender hit him straight on head.

So far i don't know for sure does Halttunen has injury history or not
Halttunen also has already some physicality of his game and he doesn't hesitate
to use his size of his own advantage if there is chance on it Halttunen also loves to give big hits.

Right now Halttunen's stock is dropping so he should be available for Avalanche 1st round pick.
Halttunen didn't make Finland's U20 WJC roster but into U18 WJC's he'll be in the team if he's healthy.

Here's a few videos for Kasper Halttunen.

This hit caused concussion for Halttunen.

Obviously Halttunen cannot play like that in NHL.
But SM liiga is today what it is and unfortunately these type hits
happen for young liiga players almost every year

Reactions: John Mandalorian

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Basically everything is possible if Kumpulainen has good or very good U18 WJC's next april

But i'm also seen one mock draft where Avalanche was taking Kasper Halttunen 26th overall.
Halttunen is 6'3 LW / RW and he was one of Finland's best players in U18 WJC's this past April.

Halttunen is scoring winger so his game lives on scoring so he needs center to feed him.

In 10 games into U20 SM sarja Halttunen has scored 15 points ( 9 goals 6 assists ).
HIFK's liiga team Halttunen has played 14 games and scored only 1 point ( 1 assist )

Based on that what i have read for other HIFK fans Halttuen has been almost every game
most visible player for HIFK's disappointing SM liiga team and he's showed so flashes of his talent

to use his size of his own advantage if there is chance on it Halttunen also loves to give big hits.

Right now Halttunen's stock is dropping so he should be available for Avalanche 1st round pick.
Halttunen didn't make Finland's U20 WJC roster but into U18 WJC's he'll be in the team if he's healthy.

It almost seems like the Avs should be targeting C or D. Perhaps Haltunen is better/ more advanced. But the way you describe him, there are similarities with OO.

Perhaps it’s time to target a C? Maybe they shouldn’t get swept up in combine interviews ( ie Bleackley) but focus on specific skills.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It almost seems like the Avs should be targeting C or D. Perhaps Haltunen is better/ more advanced. But the way you describe him, there are similarities with OO.

Perhaps it’s time to target a C? Maybe they shouldn’t get swept up in combine interviews ( ie Bleackley) but focus on specific skills.
Well, focus on skill sure, but don’t fall in love with ONE skill and think you can fix the rest.

At the very least, please pick a kid who can skate.

Reactions: Alienblood

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

Of course Avalanche's draft plans are up on that does avs management even keep their 2023 1st round pick.
If Sakic and other managament staff members see a chance to make all in trade offer
to acquire Patrick Kane or Jonathan Toews then that 2023 1st round pick goes to Blackhawks
so avalanche isn't necassarily even picking 1st round next summer.

Also i don't know exactly how deep Avalanche winger prospect pool is.
And is there even a need for a player like Halttunen but Halttunen is one player
who i would like see in Avalanche jersey but also i don't expect that Joni Lehto
starts preferring Halttunen or Kumpulainen just because they're finns like Lehto.

And of course drafting BPA is always better than drafting positional need.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm gonna guess the Avs don't pick until the 5th round at least and maybe the 6th. You're looking at a guy that is way down the list and it is nearly impossible to predict. Basically anybody on a team's list 45+ could be there, but anybody will be a project.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Avs will get no NHLer from the 2022, 2023 and 2024 drafts. That's pretty much a given.
Then might as well draft goalies with all the 2023 and 2024 picks. That's 5 goalies assuming we are trading our 2023 1st. We are bound to score on at least one of them. :sarcasm:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Oh Jesus echoes of Trevor Letowski there.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
On defense Reinbacher. Kid will be a legit top pairing guy for a long time. At center I like Dvorsky, Danielson and Richie. Dvorsky would be my top guy at the moment for the Avs. Hrabal looks like a late first sort of goalie too.

Knowing the Avs though, Sale (incredibly talented, but flawed winger) or Nadeau (undersized BCHL center known for skating at crazy offense) will be more their jam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad