NHL Entry Draft 2023 NHL Draft Thread

2XPRO31

Jul 13, 2007
Raaty has worse production in the AHL than Jarventie who people here have soured on for whatever reason. The grass is always greener I guess.

Ostapchuk reminds me big time of Nick Paul and if you can get 1-2 players out of a shitshow Covid draft with 5 picks its not too bad.

Reactions: aragorn

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Raaty has worse production in the AHL than Jarventie who people here have soured on for whatever reason. The grass is always greener I guess.

Ostapchuk reminds me big time of Nick Paul and if you can get 1-2 players out of a shitshow Covid draft with 5 picks its not too bad.
Raty has progressed to show that at worst he's a capable AHL player at 19, with NHL capabilities in his 15 NHL games, no? Is that not better progression than a guy not worth an ELC contract? I was not, and am still not a fan of his. If it was comparing his progression to Jarventie instead of Roger, then sure, grass is greener.

Jarventie is absolutely a worthy NHL prospect.

Last edited:

JMac13

Jan 10, 2011
Normally there is a full thread for this but given the lack of top picks I figured I'd post it in here. Every year I do a "who would I have drafted" vs the Sens staff with the intention of looking back on it in 5-10 years and seeing my performance. Here's who I would have selected this year:

108 - Aram Minnetian
140 - Scott Ratzlaff
204 - Connor Levis
207 - Emil Jarventie
215 - Tyler Peddle

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Sure all picks have risk, but the process you’ve undertaken to evaluate the prospect determines the level of risk.

Cliff diving is always risky, cliff diving without checking the depth of the water is significantly more risky.

Logan Brown didn’t work out but at least they have had many viewings against good competition to evaluate him. Brown was a pretty big risk but with a huge potential reward. It didn’t work out but I don’t mind that gamble. Roger was a huge risk at a premium pick but with limited upside. I don’t think those picks are comparable at all.
Isn't it interesting though that many talk about them taking a swing for the fences & when that works out everybody tells us see, that works. But when it doesn't work we tear the pick apart. IMO they took a swing for the fences on a big guy who was a decent skater hoping he couuld figure it out & it didn't. You win some & you lose some.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Maybe this is a development we should be aware of. Not sure this encompasses it though. But we have been taught by experts that lies can spread fast.

Reactions: aragorn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad