Who Does Montreal Draft at 5th OA?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
We're 4 days out now. Time to reduce the multiple threads to one.

Montreal picks #5 & #31 on Wednesday, June 28th in the 1st Round.

All draft related topics should be discussed here.

A new 2024 draft thread will go up the DAY AFTER the completion of the 2023 Draft.

Some links:

Bob MacKenzie's Final rankings: Intrigue and excitement in the Year of Connor Bedard at the NHL Draft | TSN

Craig Button's Mock Draft: Mock Draft: The fun starts after No. 1 in Craig Button's NHL Draft projection | TSN

Draft Simulators: Draft Prospects: Draft Simulator

Consensus Mock Draft, with small write ups on each player expected to go 1st Round:

NHL Central Scouting's Final Draft Rankings, which is separated into North American skaters, International skaters, NA goalies, International goalies.

NOTE: A mercenary insurrection is currently going on in Russia by the Wagner group, and while huge news, it is NOT appropriate discussion in this thread.

Michkov is already in the United States as far as that goes.

Alright, discuss all things relevant to draft in this thread, prospect discussion, trades, etc.

Last edited:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I know this is a no politics board @MarkovsKnee but clearly the news in Russia impacts the Michkov file, are we good to discuss the hockey implications so long as we don't talk about support for one side or the other?

Yes. You can discuss the hockey implications of it. But, I don't want to see long-winded posts about either side involved, history of the Ukraine War, or history of Russia itself.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
And he was world class elite from ages 16-18. Funny how sometimes that doesn't transcend to the NHL.
Yeah, and it follows that drafting players who aren't even elite producers against their peers at 16-18 are even less likely to 'transcend' to the NHL. See last year's 1OA for instance. In terms of Ryan Leonard, sure the guy who scored 25% fewer points than his linemates might've been "instructed by his coaches" to play a different, less productive role but it sure as hell doesn't bode well for his prospect profile. I can't see how it does.

Yes. You can discuss the hockey implications of it. But, I don't want to see long-winded posts about either side involved, history of the Ukraine War, or history of Russia itself.
I think this is unnecessary and is bound to go out-of-bounds almost immediately. The topic is not necessary for discussion: Michkov might not be able to come over for whatever reason and the odds of this might be greater as of last night. There's nothing more to add that wouldn't be speculative and debateable.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Thanks cause someone had an interesting post last thread about the KHL and its links to oligarchs. If the KHL shuts down I wonder now that impact the transfer

Reactions: NORiculous

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
We draft Smith..............................that said, I will not be surprised we trade up, to 4 or maybe even number 2...................................then maybe it's Fantilli

I do expect some fireworks at the draft from a few teams..............Habs, Bruins, Leafs, Jets and Flames.
Not to mention Nashville and Trotz looking to make a splash.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
With the KHL being owned/controlled by the current Russian govt;The chance of the KHL
no longer existing are very high.

The 3 year wait that turned off some teams , very well
could no longer be an issue in regards to Michkov
If that was THE MAIN CONCERN for Montreal, you got to pick him at 5 now.
if he is still there.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Yeah, and it follows that drafting players who aren't even elite producers against their peers at 16-18 are even less likely to 'transcend' to the NHL. See last year's 1OA for instance. In terms of Ryan Leonard, sure the guy who scored 25% fewer points than his linemates might've been "instructed by his coaches" to play a different, less productive role but it sure as hell doesn't bode well for his prospect profile. I can't see how it does.

I think this is unnecessary and is bound to go out-of-bounds almost immediately. The topic is not necessary for discussion: Michkov might not be able to come over for whatever reason and the odds of this might be greater as of last night. There's nothing more to add that wouldn't be speculative and debateable.

Yes, it can go off pretty quickly. But, the board has always had "as it relates to hockey" exception to the no politics rule. This was true during Covid, and we had both a Covid thread on HFHabs, and even a new board on it, as it obviously impacted hockey with the shut downs. There have been other instances too.

If you see yourself start writing about one of the two parties involved, you've gone too far.

We'll see how it goes.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
With the KHL being owned/controlled by the current Russian govt;The chance of the KHL
no longer existing are very high.

The 3 year wait that turned off some teams , very well
could no longer be an issue in regards to Michkov

Way too soon to draw conclusions.
But if Michkov can wiggle his way out of his contract and sign right away with his NHL team considering the situation in his country, he's not dropping to 5.

But really wonder if there's a team that will bring the situation up in their interviews with him

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
I know this is a no politics board @MarkovsKnee but clearly the news in Russia impacts the Michkov file, are we good to discuss the hockey implications so long as we don't talk about support for one side or the other?
I see this as the first step to this war ending. It will still take a while but Putin is weakening. Cold War type of situation can’t exist anymore because of information, VPNs, etc. Propaganda is much harder then what it was in those days.

So this is, to me, a positive for Michkov.

In any event, people see what they want to see. So people that didn’t think the risk was big, in the first place, will see this as a positive. People that though the risk was big in the first place, will see this as a negative.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Way too soon to draw conclusions.
But if Michkov can wiggle his way out of his contract and sign right away with his NHL team considering the situation in his country, he's not dropping to 5.

But really wonder if there's a team that will bring the situation up in their interviews with him

Oh, everyone will for sure.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
But given we were talking about Drouin, let's talk about his linemate in his draft year. It was none other than Nathan MacKinnon, also in his draft year, who had more than 25% fewer points than Drouin. MacKinnon also wasn't CHL Player of the Year in his draft year like Drouin. MacKinnon went #1 and has had a far better NHL career than Drouin (understatement of the year).

Kind of blows your "less likely to transcend to the NHL" theory out of the water for those who produce less against their peers at 16-18. Maybe there are other elements to a player's portfolio that project whether one might be impactful or not at the NHL level? Corey Locke should have had a Hall of Fame career according to your arguments.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Nobody and I mean nobody knows how a kid will develop after 18 yrs of age. There are countless numbers of players who flopped as well as countless numbers of players who blossomed. We all think we know based on this or based on that. Does it not occur to you that teams do not draft players strictly on production. You'd be some kind of fool manager if you did. Far too many "Producers" over the years have ended up being black holes when the games became important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad