GDT: 2023 NHL Draft - (1st Round - 6/28 at 7PM ET and Remainder of Draft - 6/29 at 11AM ET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
The good: Michkov. Ciernik who has top tier speed and skill, looking like a steal at that point in the draft. The defensemen they picked seem to follow a mold of being above average skaters with good IQ and promising transition skills. Sotheran as a young CHLer is an improving and already smart defender to boot us a fine pick in the later rounds. The goalies appear to have high ceilings. The swing on a Junior B player in the 6th is fine. At least it's a swing.

The bad: trading up for a 2nd round goalie. Knuble's kid. Leaving some intriguing skill on the board and going with Bonk, labeling it publicly as a fit pick.

The ugly: an obvious Flahr pick in the 7th round.

Even though I don't agree with the Bonk selection or the mid round goalie run, Briere is at least visualizing a reasonable archetype with his skater selections. All I ask, especially after being Fletchered, is that there's reasonable defense of their decisions, and I think there pretty clearly is here. Flahr's pick sticking out like a sore thumb will never not be hilarious to me.

I think it's a step in the right direction, but not a decisive W.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The good: Michkov. Ciernik who has top tier speed and skill, looking like a steal at that point in the draft. The defensemen they picked seem to follow a mold of being above average skaters with good IQ and promising transition skills. Sotheran as a young CHLer is an improving and already smart defender to boot us a fine pick in the later rounds. The goalies appear to have high ceilings. The swing on a Junior B player in the 6th is fine. At least it's a swing.

The bad: trading up for a 2nd round goalie. Knuble's kid. Leaving some intriguing skill on the board and going with Bonk, labeling it publicly as a fit pick.

The ugly: an obvious Flahr pick in the 7th round.

Even though I don't agree with the Bonk selection or the mid round goalie run, Briere is at least visualizing a reasonable archetype with his skater selections. All I ask, especially after being Fletchered, is that there's reasonable defense of their decisions, and I think there pretty clearly is here. Flahr's pick sticking out like a sore thumb will never not be hilarious to me.

I think it's a step in the right direction, but not a decisive W.

I think we've confirmed that the near total scorn of transition ability was a Fletcher thing.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
From a random, obscure, first-attempt at such a search summary:

Winner: Philadelphia Flyers​

Sanjesh Singh

Philadelphia had quite a special talent fall in its lap. Matvei Michkov was widely seen as a clear-cut top-five pick, with the potential of going at No. 3. However, he dropped to the Flyers at No. 7.​
There were a couple of reasons for his slide that involved his availability to play in the NHL since he's currently under contract with KHL's SKA St. Petersburg in Russia through the 2025-26 season.​
But the Flyers have a scout based in Russia, Ken Hoodikoff, who has watched prospects there in person, per NBC Sports Philadelphia. So landing a talent like Michkov, even though it's not transparent when and if he'll able to transition to the NHL, at No. 7 has the potential to be a crucial win in the long run.​

Philadelphia Flyers: A+​

Ian Kennedy

The Flyers got everything they could have asked for and more. Michkov at seventh was brilliant, then taking Oliver Bonk and Connor Bjarnason added excellent players from the net out.​
Where Philadelphia truly continued its success was beginning at pick 95 with Denver Barkey, followed by Cole Knuble (103), and Alex Ciernik (120). Philadelphia walked away with excellent value top to bottom.​

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Oh forgot Flahr mentioned drafting York and Andrae again as a reason for targeting bigger defensemen. York was drafted 4 years ago. He'll be headed toward UFA while some of these guys are on ELCs. Andrae is already a roster lock I guess. :dunno:

Didn’t they do that the following drafts after those two guys too? The early returns haven’t exactly been great. :laugh:

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Can't complain about a draft where you leave with Michkov, but boy I don't understand the heavy investment in goaltender like that in those rounds. Makes me feel they plan on Carter Hart being out the door soon.

Reactions: renberg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Bonk was the biggest upside pick by the Flyers, he's physically underdeveloped, if he adds speed and burst as he fills out, he could take a big jump.
Sotheran on the other hand, is physical mature even though he just turned 18, he may fill out more and be a monster physically, but I doubt he'll make a big jump in terms of skating.

The biggest question mark is Barkey, he's really small, 5'9 155, and isn't the next Caufield, he has to carry 20-25 more lbs to be effective at the NHL level (because his game will require more than offense, he's gonna have to mix it up to some extent) - can he do so and still skate effectively? We saw with Leier that speed and heart aren't enough when you can be pushed around with a D-man's pinkie.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Bonk was the biggest upside pick by the Flyers, he's physically underdeveloped, if he adds speed and burst as he fills out, he could take a big jump.
Sotheran on the other hand, is physical mature even though he just turned 18, he may fill out more and be a monster physically, but I doubt he'll make a big jump in terms of skating.

The biggest question mark is Barkey, he's really small, 5'9 155, and isn't the next Caufield, he has to carry 20-25 more lbs to be effective at the NHL level (because his game will require more than offense, he's gonna have to mix it up to some extent) - can he do so and still skate effectively? We saw with Leier that speed and heart aren't enough when you can be pushed around with a D-man's pinkie.

Bonk's upside is probably a #2 Dman at most if everything goes well... there were 2-3 Dmen sitting there with higher pure upside.

Heck, there was a defenseman sitting there who is a better player in all three zones than Bonk right now whose only real down-side is height...

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Didn’t they do that the following drafts after those two guys too? The early returns haven’t exactly been great. :laugh:
What bigger D-men?
Zanetti is a good skating LHD #110
Murchison is a bigger LHD #154
Samson is average size, but ppg as a late birthday in his D+2 season #178
McDonald is a big LHD #165
Sotheran is a big RHD #135
Not a lot of assets spent adding depth to the Phantoms. :popcorn:
You do need a supply of cheap, #6/#7 types in the organization, you stash in the AHL and call up after they've been seasoned for roster depth.
If you're lucky one or two outperform their draft slot.

Bonk's a different issue, a gamble that he'll make a jump as he physically matures (you can add strength and teach skating, but brain transplants are probably a century away!).

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Oh forgot Flahr mentioned drafting York and Andrae again as a reason for targeting bigger defensemen. York was drafted 4 years ago. He'll be headed toward UFA while some of these guys are on ELCs. Andrae is already a roster lock I guess. :dunno:

giphy.gif

They're very open about drafting for fit, let alone with a team with holes everywhere. My brain is brain soup reading shit like this. You'd think they have Quinn Hughes and Samuel Girard.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
Flyers picks and consolidated rankings and how the various draft people rated them

RankFirstLastPosTeamLeagueHtWtSmahtMcKeensTHNBBEPFCTHW BarrachinniHornPronmanWheelerButtonMcKenziePetersTotalAve
4MatveiMichkovRWSKA 1946 St PeteMHL5'101603544435432454503.846
33OliverBonkRHDLondonOHL6'11858635251656432947264337282649738.23
64CarsonBjarnasonGBrandonWHL6'318657424567109495846748938596679961.46
72AlexCiernikRWSodertalje J20J20 Nationell5'10172368793105655536693359758379666.33
79CarterSotheranDPortlandWHL6'31957772785528270.5
82DenverBarkeyCLondonOHL5'81743880746279516210183808179171.91
140RyanMacPhersonRWLeamingtonGOHL6168949494
147MateoMannRHDChicoutimiQMJHL6'52227911619597.5
156YegorZavraginGMamonty YugryMHL6'218566134200100
171ColeKnubleCFargoUSHL5'111838712510699417104.3

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
What bigger D-men?
Zanetti is a good skating LHD #110
Murchison is a bigger LHD #154
Samson is average size, but ppg as a late birthday in his D+2 season #178
McDonald is a big LHD #165
Sotheran is a big RHD #135
Not a lot of assets spent adding depth to the Phantoms. :popcorn:
You do need a supply of cheap, #6/#7 types in the organization, you stash in the AHL and call up after they've been seasoned for roster depth.
If you're lucky one or two outperform their draft slot.

Bonk's a different issue, a gamble that he'll make a jump as he physically matures (you can add strength and teach skating, but brain transplants are probably a century away!).
I’ll be honest, this is the first time I have EVER heard someone say you draft for #6/7 defenders

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
One thing in Bonk's favor is that the next two seasons will see him getting developed by the Hunter brothers. IMO, that's a real plus. They'll add the most that is possible to his career.
Doesn't hurt they seem to go deep into the playoffs on a regular basis, he played 67g then 21 PO games, that will accelerate your development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad