NFL: 2023 NFL training camp news & notes thread

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Chris Jones isn't reporting to camp without a new deal. The Chiefs not being able to work out something long term with him would be the biggest non-Mahomes/Kelce blow the team could suffer.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
These 2 or 3 weeks is when I like football the least
Does seem like there are more injuries at camp each and every year. Is it fewer practices where coaches feel like they need to get their players going 100% right off the hop to maximize the time they have? Who knows. Just feels like players need 2 practices to work they way back before going at full speed.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Bosa is entering the 5th year option. DROY, then torn ACL at MetLife garbage field, returns for a 15.5 sack season, then wins DPOY in year 4. Time for him to get paid. Already has an ACL injury, so he has to get paid now. And he deserves it. 5th year option at $17.8 million. TJ Watt's new deal averages $28 mill per as a point of reference, with $35.5 mill in SB and $80 mill guaranteed (basically 3 years average contract value).

Donald and Mack both signed new deals and had to sit out of camp heading into the 5th year option before they got their new deals (though Mack had to get it done with Chicago after he got dealt).

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Doesn't sound like this issue is real. No need to show up and take hits.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Zach Martin doesn't report.
I see that in March, 2023, he did a restructure to convert $11.8 mill of his base salary into a signing bonus. That was probably the time to say no, I want to redo my deal completely, vs just move base salary to a SB with no new money added. His 6 year annual average was $14 million. Has 2023 and 2024 left on it.

Nelson got $80 mill over 4 years with $60 mill guaranteed. Lindstrom got $105 mill over 5 years, with $63 mill guaranteed.

That is what Martin is looking at.

As for Jonathon Taylor, he has to see what happened to Barkley and Jacobs and figure out what his options are. Tag is going to be like $10.2 or whatever for him next season. They are going to rely on him a lot if they are breaking in Richardson at QB.

Reactions: Elvis P

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Bosa is entering the 5th year option. DROY, then torn ACL at MetLife garbage field, returns for a 15.5 sack season, then wins DPOY in year 4. Time for him to get paid. Already has an ACL injury, so he has to get paid now. And he deserves it. 5th year option at $17.8 million. TJ Watt's new deal averages $28 mill per as a point of reference, with $35.5 mill in SB and $80 mill guaranteed (basically 3 years average contract value).

Donald and Mack both signed new deals and had to sit out of camp heading into the 5th year option before they got their new deals (though Mack had to get it done with Chicago after he got dealt).

You'd think Bosa would report and do a "hold-in" to avoid the fines since the team can no longer forgive or rescind them

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Things I have already learned from 49ers training camp:

Lance looked good in Day 1, Shanahan likes seeing Samuel with his shirt off for some reason, and this defense already looks like a monster. Hopefully Bosa signs (Pay him whatever) and this camp is incident free.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You'd think Bosa would report and do a "hold-in" to avoid the fines since the team can no longer forgive or rescind them
Who knows. Could show up. Are the fines automatic or does the team have the option to decide when to start them?

Don’t see Cook and the Jets as a fit. Hall coming off an acl is a concern but he got hurt mid season so he should be ready to go by the start. Do wonder if we see any LV rumours with him soon.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Who knows. Could show up. Are the fines automatic or does the team have the option to decide when to start them?

Don’t see Cook and the Jets as a fit. Hall coming off an acl is a concern but he got hurt mid season so he should be ready to go by the start. Do wonder if we see any LV rumours with him soon.

I don't think the team has any control any more

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad