2023 March top 16 mock draft

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Ran a lottery simulator to determine

This is NOT how I would rank the players, it's just what I think the teams would do in this situation.

1. :cbj selects Connor Bedard, C (Regina - WHL)
2. :habs selects Adam Fantilli, C (University of Michigan - NCAA)
3. :hawks selects Leo Carlsson, C (Orebro - SHL)
4. :sharks selects Will Smith, C (USNDP - USHL)
5. :ducks selects Matvei Michkov, RW (Sochi - KHL)
6. :coyotes selects Zach Benson, LW (Winnipeg - WHL)
7. :nucks selects Matthew Wood, RW (University of Connecticut - NCAA)
8. :flyers selects Oliver Moore, C (USNDP - USHL)
9. :blues selects Brayden Yager, C (Moose Jaw - WHL)
10. :wings selects Eduard Sale, LW (Brno - Czech)
11. :caps selects Axel Sandin Pellikka, D (Skelleftea - SHL)
12. :habs selects Colby Barlow, LW (Owen Sound - OHL)
13. :flames selects Ryan Leonard, C (USNDP - USHL)
14. :coyotes selects David Reinbacher, D (Kloten - NL)
15. :wings selects Dalibor Dvorsky, C (AIK - Allsvenskan)
16. :nashville selects Samuel Honzek, LW (Vancouver - WHL)

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Ran a lottery simulator to determine

This is NOT how I would rank the players, it's just what I think the teams would do in this situation.

1. :cbj selects Connor Bedard, C (Regina - WHL)
2. :habs selects Adam Fantilli, C (University of Michigan - NCAA)
3. :hawks selects Leo Carlsson, C (Orebro - SHL)
4. :sharks selects Will Smith, C (USNDP - USHL)
5. :ducks selects Matvei Michkov, RW (Sochi - KHL)
6. :coyotes selects Zach Benson, LW (Winnipeg - WHL)
7. :nucks selects Matthew Wood, RW (University of Connecticut - NCAA)
8. :flyers selects Oliver Moore, C (USNDP - USHL)
9. :blues selects Brayden Yager, C (Moose Jaw - WHL)
10. :wings selects Eduard Sale, LW (Brno - Czech)
11. :caps selects Axel Sandin Pellikka, D (Skelleftea - SHL)
12. :habs selects Colby Barlow, LW (Owen Sound - OHL)
13. :flames selects Ryan Leonard, C (USNDP - USHL)
14. :coyotes selects David Reinbacher, D (Kloten - NL)
15. :wings selects Dalibor Dvorsky, C (AIK - Allsvenskan)
16. :nashville selects Samuel Honzek, LW (Vancouver - WHL)
I am getting the impression that Stevie Y will be avoiding Czechs in the future.lol

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Logic…they need everything and Michkov is hands down the best player available at 4 if he’s still there.
Grier has not acquired a single player under 6 foot or who doesn’t play a physical type of game. I’d be very surprised if he takes Michkov.

WayneGretzky

Jul 25, 2016
Grier has not acquired a single player under 6 foot or who doesn’t play a physical type of game. I’d be very surprised if he takes Michkov.
You’re using a few months of data with him being GM. He will undoubtedly take the best forward available, if he’s picking top 4, it will be one of Bedard/Fantilli/Michkov/Carlsson, zero chance they take Smith over one of these guys.

Also, Michkov at 4 would be a steal. He’s the consensus #2 if he wasn’t Russian, I could see Fantilli slipping in front, but I’d still take Michkov at 3, anything lower is a steal.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
You’re using a few months of data with him being GM. He will undoubtedly take the best forward available, if he’s picking top 4, it will be one of Bedard/Fantilli/Michkov/Carlsson, zero chance they take Smith over one of these guys.

Also, Michkov at 4 would be a steal. He’s the consensus #2 if he wasn’t Russian, I could see Fantilli slipping in front, but I’d still take Michkov at 3, anything lower is a steal.
Yeah I just really disagree. You’re letting your personal thoughts cloud your judgement. I’m actually using data to show that Grier has not taken a guy like Michkov. Fantilli is a better prospect than Michkov and with Michkov’s situation, I easily take Carlsson over him too.

I like Michkov but you’re touting him to be some sure thing which he isn’t. He’s great with the puck on his stick, it’s off his stick where the issues are. Combine that with he can’t come over for 2-3 years (can’t remember what it is) and even then he can simply stay in Russia or get forced to stay in Russia. I wouldn’t take that risk before like 7.

WayneGretzky

Jul 25, 2016
Yeah I just really disagree. You’re letting your personal thoughts cloud your judgement. I’m actually using data to show that Grier has not taken a guy like Michkov. Fantilli is a better prospect than Michkov and with Michkov’s situation, I easily take Carlsson over him too.

I like Michkov but you’re touting him to be some sure thing which he isn’t. He’s great with the puck on his stick, it’s off his stick where the issues are. Combine that with he can’t come over for 2-3 years (can’t remember what it is) and even then he can simply stay in Russia or get forced to stay in Russia. I wouldn’t take that risk before like 7.
Been scouting for 20 years, trust me, Michkov is a sure thing.

You trying to lean on data knowing Grier has had what, 1 draft under his belt? You sound like a fool. Not worthy of the conversation

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Been scouting for 20 years, trust me, Michkov is a sure thing.

You trying to lean on data knowing Grier has had what, 1 draft under his belt? You sound like a fool. Not worthy of the conversation
“Trust me bro”

I’m leaning on data of the 1 year where Grier has acquired a ton of players. From most recent to least recent trades, Peterson, Henriksson, Thrun, Johnsson, Zetterlund, Okhotiuk, Shakir, Kaut, MacDonald, Lorentz, Makaniemi, Kunin. There’s 2 players there under 6 foot and one was a cap dump and both are 50 pounds heavier than Michkov.

Signings same thing: Ferraro, Kahkonen, Sturm, Lindblom, Nutivaara, Benning, Suess, Dell, Agozzino, Svechnikov, Harrington, Pouliot. 3 this time under 6 foot but 2 were signed as AHL players and the other is Ferraro and again all 3 50 pounds heavier.

Draft: Bystedt, Lund, Havelid, Fisher, Beaupit, Furlong, Muldowney, Laubach, Barnett. 3 there under 6 foot except 2 of them were 6th/7th round picks. All three weigh more than Michkov.

There is nothing about Grier that says he will take Michkov. Hell he wants to get rid of Labanc who obviously doesn’t have the potential that Michkov does but has the same sort of floater rep.

I’m not disagreeing that Michkov is a good prospect. I’m disagreeing that there’s any chance he ends up in SJ more than unreasonable hope.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

WayneGretzky

Jul 25, 2016
Ridiculously limited data, you’re proving my point.

I don’t care who Grier takes, or whether or not you trust me, but I’m positive passing on Michkov at 4 would be a mistake, one I doubt he would make, Michkovs upside is being the greatest Sharks draft pick.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Ridiculously limited data, you’re proving my point.

I don’t care who Grier takes, or whether or not you trust me, but I’m positive passing on Michkov at 4 would be a mistake, one I doubt he would make, Michkovs upside is being the greatest Sharks draft pick.
33 players is limited data now because it disproves your opinion. Got it. Considering the Sharks drafted the NHL leader in games played, gonna take a whole lot to be that.

WayneGretzky

Jul 25, 2016
33 players is limited data now because it disproves your opinion. Got it. Considering the Sharks drafted the NHL leader in games played, gonna take a whole lot to be that.
You’re a lost cause. Of course it’s limited, one season of data. 33 guys, 4-6 of which could end up being NHLers, 0 of them would be top 15 picks this year, you’ve really made your point. Disproves nothing, proves you’re goof

Their current best isn’t even HOF caliber…doors wide open. Any of the top 4 this year have that upside.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
You’re a lost cause. Of course it’s limited, one season of data. 33 guys, 4-6 of which could end up being NHLers, 0 of them would be top 15 picks this year, you’ve really made your point. Disproves nothing, proves you’re goof

Their current best isn’t even HOF caliber…doors wide open. Any of the top 4 this year have that upside.
Marleau isn’t HOF caliber? And I’m the lost cause?

Reactions: MasterMatt25

WayneGretzky

Jul 25, 2016
Marleau isn’t HOF caliber? And I’m the lost cause?
If he gets in, it’ll be 5-10+ years from now, and will be on games alone. He’s never made an All-Star Team (not All-Star Game selections), won any major individual hardware, or won a Stanley Cup. PPG player in 3 of his 24 seasons You sound like a big fan.

• Haha
Reactions: Gecklund

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Logic…they need everything and Michkov is hands down the best player available at 4 if he’s still there.
I think Michkov is the 2nd best prospect in the draft behind Bedard. But size + Russia factored in, and San Jose not getting a top-quality piece like Holtz for Meier? I'd be shocked if they took him no matter how good he is

WayneGretzky

Jul 25, 2016
I think Michkov is the 2nd best prospect in the draft behind Bedard. But size + Russia factored in, and San Jose not getting a top-quality piece like Holtz for Meier? I'd be shocked if they took him no matter how good he is
I’ve heard SJ didn’t want Holtz because they see deficiencies in his game, I don’t blame them.

SJ has the emptiest cupboards in the league, I understand if they go with one of the other top 4 guys if it’s an option, but the conversation is around them passing on Michkov at 4 for a guy like Smith. Wouldn’t happen, in that situation, a team like SJ can’t afford to pass on the sure star, potential superstar in Michkov. If they do, Griers term will be short.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
I’ve heard SJ didn’t want Holtz because they see deficiencies in his game, I don’t blame them.

SJ has the emptiest cupboards in the league, I understand if they go with one of the other top 4 guys if it’s an option, but the conversation is around them passing on Michkov at 4 for a guy like Smith. Wouldn’t happen, in that situation, a team like SJ can’t afford to pass on the sure star, potential superstar in Michkov. If they do, Griers term will be short.
I suspect it will be short then. I don't see San Jose taking that chance

Reactions: Gecklund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad