2023 Hlinka Gretzky host cities

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
Hello. Was thinking of flying to Czechia/Slovakia in August to take in the under 18 tournament to see the 2024 draft eligibles. At the 2022 tournament in Alberta, I remember Gord Miller on the TSN coverage suggest that the arena in Piestany was undergoing renovations and this may necessitate a move to another city in addition to breclav for the 2023 tournament. Does anybody know if this is true?

Thanks a million!

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Hello. Was thinking of flying to Czechia/Slovakia in August to take in the under 18 tournament to see the 2024 draft eligibles. At the 2022 tournament in Alberta, I remember Gord Miller on the TSN coverage suggest that the arena in Piestany was undergoing renovations and this may necessitate a move to another city in addition to breclav for the 2023 tournament. Does anybody know if this is true?

Thanks a million!
if it is not ready Bratislavia is being held in reserve

mirec04

Sep 3, 2018
Slovakia
The arena in Trencin is undergoing some reconstruction.
Miroslav Satan was mentioning something like he can imagine organization of HGC in this city once the arena is ready to host such tournament. It would be honour for this city, where many Slovak hockey stars were born.

Reactions: Chainshot

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
Thanks for all the intel. Whether it’s Piestany, Trencin, or Bratislava…I havent been to Slovakia since the early 2000s so it’d be a great time in mid summer…the tournament is so high level now for draft eligibles even without Russia…

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
Any update at all from the Slovakian Hockey Federation on whether the arena in Piestany will be ready for Hlinka Gretzky tournament or is it looking like it might be in Bratislava like others here have said?

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
I love The Great One... but... remind me why they changed the name? Hlinka is the name for me. Not Gretzky/Hlinka.

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
Is there seriously no info at all yet on if the Piestany arena refurbishment will be complete in time for the tournament this summer yet?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Play it in small arenas in Canada - like the WJR's used to be.

Attendance would be more than adequate.

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
Yes in any normal year. There has been arena renovations taking place at the Piestany arena causing me to wonder whether the arena in Piestany will be ready in time. I’m shocked that there is no information in mid April as to whether the renos will be completed by August..
I found this. Some local news site. Not sure if relevant.

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
I found this. Some local news site. Not sure if relevant.

I appreciate you tracking that article down. I have no clue on how to translate it though as I’ve tried a few different options with no success…

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
I appreciate you tracking that article down. I have no clue on how to translate it though as I’ve tried a few different options with no success…
It's basically saying that it is still unsure whether the government will even help finance the reconstruction (which is required). The deadline for this verdict is July 16th. If the project gets help, the reconstruction should be done by December 31st 2025. It's also worth noting that the article is 2 months old

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
It's basically saying that it is still unsure whether the government will even help finance the reconstruction (which is required). The deadline for this verdict is July 16th. If the project gets help, the reconstruction should be done by December 31st 2025.
Then is it safe to say that the arena won’t be ready for the tournament? And that alternate sites will be looked at such as Bratislava which another poster suggested?

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
Then is it safe to say that the arena won’t be ready for the tournament? And that alternate sites will be looked at such as Bratislava which another poster suggested?
Judging from the article I'd say the arena won't be ready for the tournament, but the article is 2 months old and something may have moved, but it's unlikely

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
This is new information for me too. It follows from logic that if the stadium is already out of order and in a state of disrepair, it will certainly not be played this year. And not even until the end of 2025, and that is an optimistic variant.. My personal guess is that it will be played in Bratislava, but it's just a guess...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad