Prospect Info: 2023 HFDevils Prospect Rankings #8

Who is the Devils' #8 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Very obviously Bardakov is ahead of Stillman now because Stillman has almost no chance at becoming a regular NHL player, and I acknowledged as much above. We were talking about 2021.
I mentioned earlier why he was a better prospect in the moment. You can find it, about positional vision and competent game in KHL and other stuff. Even better to watch their games or at least highlights before the draft in the moment. If you would do that, we would not have this conversation. (may be. Im not so sure at all).

Reactions: My3Sons

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I mentioned earlier why he was a better prospect in the moment. You can find it, about positional vision and competent game in KHL and other stuff. Even better to watch their games or at least highlights before the draft in the moment. If you would do that, we would not have this conversation. (may be. Im not so sure at all).

I never said you didn't - it's still a tough take for me to swallow because of the age differences and Bardakov's upside. Stillman also did not play in a competitive league in 2020-21, which is part of what is driving all of this. Hopefully we never have a year like that again, so we won't have this sort of argument.

I'm not ever going to follow the draft in a significant way before the picks are made - I used to years ago, long before we had a lot of this stuff available, and I stopped enjoying it. I watch most of the clips you've posted here on our prospects, and I appreciate those.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I never said you didn't - it's still a tough take for me to swallow because of the age differences and Bardakov's upside. Stillman also did not play in a competitive league in 2020-21, which is part of what is driving all of this. Hopefully we never have a year like that again, so we won't have this sort of argument.

I'm not ever going to follow the draft in a significant way before the picks are made - I used to years ago, long before we had a lot of this stuff available, and I stopped enjoying it. I watch most of the clips you've posted here on our prospects, and I appreciate those.
in the case of Bardakov and in the case of Gritsyuk\Holtz and other cases I have reasons more than just ppg in specific season. And its not like Im always "all in" for Russian prospects. I tempted down expectations on Gritsyuk, Im not so high on Barabosha and his overall ceiling, I always talked about Bardakovs limited skill set, and with Karpovich I didnt saw any write about his positional game, distance tracking from other writers, I talked about Misyuls problems with the puck for a long time. But if I am telling about good side of the player, about how good(or bad) he could potentially be for his potential role, Im not taking it just from my personal sympathy.

And I liked Bardakov game more, because if Stillman COULD be on the Bardakovs level after two years, it would be good development for him. Bardakov already was. And Bardakov was a center in the draft day with good positional game. I didnt like WJC games of Stillman if I remember correctly my emotions about him.
And its not a first time when I had someone ahead of someone even if it was against popular opinion. Quinn over Rossi and Holtz, Peterka as a first rounder and as a good prospect to draft by 20 pick, Reichel as a good prospect to draft by 18 pick, Mercer as a better player than Holtz right in the day of the draft, Gauthier was my top-5/6 pick way before the draft. Like Edvinsson and Sanderson. etc. For now my biggest miss is Perevalov, who was very good in the beginning of the season, but was hurt and his season isnt good for development trajectory. But Perevalov dominated in MHL, Bardakov showed consistent 200 foot game in KHL. His real problem is his health, he should overthink his game, because if he will continue to play like he is playing like every game and every moment is the most meaningful moment of the game and of the season, his career will be short.

_________
(now Im starting to talk bout him overall)
Bardakov will not be ranked by majority as a top-10 prospect. But he is top 10 prospect for Devils in the moment. He is rare center. He is super very rare good defensive forward. He is fast, he skates all the time, he change his position immediatly and cover a lot of ice, he is great forechecker. His floor is great, he tool set is what every coach want to have in the team. His ceiling is limited because of his shot, he is good passer, but he isnt playmaker, but he is good driver.
Filmon isnt good driver, Haminaaho could be not so great driver on NHL level and he has red flags(Bardakov hasnt), Bardakov is good physical player and his physics will not limit him(like in Casey's case), Bardakov isnt very productive but he played competently for his role in the second hardest league and was very good for his role in play off against best team outside NHL, so for now he is better prospect than Foote, who has some better tools like shooting, but his skating limits him and his development trajectory isnt going well.

Its hard for me to answer who is better prospect for Devils now - Bardakov or Vilen. Both are great for their roles, both are very good defensively, Bardakov played in better league, but Vilen is younger and still was good in Liiga. Defensemen are more important than bottom line players,but Bardakov's path to the nhl roster spot could be easier. Anyway I will put Vilen over him, because Vilen is so good with his tools and has potential to be defensive defenseman who will eat hard minutes, even if as third pair defenseman. Bardakov cant be top-6 center, only complimentary forechecking forward.

If compare Bardakov and Casey - its hard to judge. Of course if you are looking at the real situation and how NHL is working. Casey is very fun and great, but his physical tools limit him. For now I dont know, will he be a good NHL defenseman, will he be third pair PP QB or he will be able to earn a lot of money in Europe. Ceiling is much better, but red flag with physics, his game on the boards, on the slot, behind the net, Casey's potential game against driving the net is obviously an issue. Game against the cycling is 75% of what defenseman is doing on the ice and in Casey situation we can ask a lot of questions for now. He could be very great on students level until he will face real competition. How he will play against Tkachucks, Barkov, Slafkovsky, Fantilli, Thompson etc I really dont know before I will see it. And if he is a PP QB from third pair, then Im taking third line PK center, who will defend the team in the end of every game. And the path isnt easy for Casey. Hamilton, Marino and Casey are ahead of him, team will use Hamilton, Luke and Simon in PP.
So, yeah, my unpopular take is - I have Bardakov over Casey now. In this moment. It should change, I think it will - Bardakov will continue to play bottom line role this season and I think he will have worser partners than he has previous season. And I hope Casey will continue to grow and I will see more competent game in his own zone this year.

If I compare Bardakov with Lenny and Filmon - I have him higher than both. Again - for now. I root very hard for Lenny, his IQ is great, but his skating is scary on my taste. Like the player but it is what it is. Bardakov just really better built for now. And he is a good smart player too. Again center.
Filmon is an interesting case, he has big potential and he should walk a long road to reveal it. He is a good scorer, but its rare when players with lots of goals and not so many assists are good in NHL after good scoring performances in juniors leagues. He cheated, his physical tools are in the long progress, he isnt very consistent as 200 foot player, his skating is good but its not very good. I prefer to vote for Lenny even with his skating over Filmon. But I like Filmon as a prospect.

Simon and Luke as 1a 1b or 1b 1a.

Gritsyuk as a third best (better development trajectory than Holtz's, better previous season, he isnt as good with skills but he is very good, his skating is much better. Holtz had good season two years ago, but now we have new info that he is struggling with NHL game. I believe it will change immediately when season will started.

Because I have Holtz as a fourth best prospect for now. And I think he will handle it. And I hope my rankings of Holtz will go up right after the season. When we will have new info.

Vilen is my numder 5. There were talks about Karpovich as a prospect with better ceiling. But Vilen was good as defenseman against men, he has very good floor, he is good positionally for his level, skates well and he is competent in physical aspect. Karpovich was good in junior level, and as I said in Casey case - for defensemen its important thing to me, a lot of defensive job is much tougher on new levels. And Karpovich should work on his game to be better defenseman. Some of his mistakes didnt effect the game on the junior level, but if he will continue, it will effect on NHL level.

Bardakov is my number 6. Great floor, rare defensive center, great forechecker, NHL ready, great positionally, very good and fast skating forward.

Casey is my number 7. I like Lenny more. But if Lenny will not develop his skating, he can never be good in NHL. I believe Casey can be at least third pair PP QB, even if not as a Devil. I believe Deilvs should not trade Casey because with his skills set he will develop his game and will find the ways how to adapt his game on adult level.

Lenny is my number 8. I thought about him and Orlov, but technically Lenny is in one step closer to NHL, Orlov missed a lot of previous season because of injury. Even when he was very good before, it still need to return to his level and show the new level in KHL. It§s not an easy task for him for his age, so in the moment Im voting for Lenny. Who is great on my taste outside of skating. His shot isnt perfect, but his IQ is so great and even with his skating he is very good 200 foot player, so I believe if he will develop his skating he will be good NHLer. And the more he will develop it, he will be more and more impressive. If he could be at least average as skater for NHL level, its a top-6 potential. And I think its his ceiling.

Foote is my number 9 now. He is very close to be NHLer but if he cant, his rank will fall. If he will, than he is NHLer. His previous season wasnt good. His development trajectory isnt good. Lenny has the same issue, but I like Lenny's 200 foot game more. And his trajectory is good. So for Foote its about winning the roster spot. And I think it would be hard for him this year. So may be I should have him lower.

Between Orlov, Karpovich and Filmon its hard for me to judge. Filmon is very raw layer for now. Karpovich has better ceiling. But Orlov was very good as D+1 in VHL and was competent for KHL role before the injury.
So Orlov is my number 10 now.

I dont have goalies, because Daws hadnt very good season, Schmid was very up and sometimes down, goalies rank is very changing with 0.5% - 91.5% - good starter, 91% - starter, 90.5% - backup, 90% - goalie could lost NHL job. And 0.5% is very small value, different defense can effect it. If Schmid will have 91.5%+ in 35+ games he is more important than any prospect outside Luke and Simon, if he will have 92%+ in 45+ games, may be he is number one prospect of the team. If he is 90.5%- goalie, he is backup and not even top 10.
Reason why I don§t have goalies in my rankings. If I should, Schmid is my number three

So, overall
1-2 Luke&Simon or Simon&Luke
(3 Schmid)
3 Gritsyuk
4 Holtz
5 Vilen
6 Bardakov
7 Casey
8 Lenny
9 Foote
10 Orlov

For now. It will change immediately right after the season will begin. Bardakov should fall a little because he will continue to play low scoring defensive role, Holtz should start to be my number 3 if he will win a roster spot, or even number two, if he will be productive. Foote has all of opportunities to fall, its very hard for him to win roster spot. Orlov can start to rise if he will play 14+ minutes in KHL competently.

Its a long read, not very well written, but it's summer.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
IMG_4577.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00