2023 Free Agency/UFA Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think it's time to start looking ahead at what we should be trying to add this summer.

Here is a link to the impending 2023 UFA's: 2023 NHL Free Agents Tracker

I think we have a few needs we should be looking to address:

1) Goal Scoring - need to add more talent up front

2) #2 Goalie - Pretty inconsistent play from both Hellberg & Ned

3) Bottom pair/Depth RD - Lindstrom/Hagg/Oesterle are not good

As far as forwards go... I think Max Domi would be a pretty good replacement for Bertuzzi, if he ends up not re-signing. Can play center or wing. Good possession player. Not a perimeter player. Has 18 goals and 31 assists in 60 games this year and is winning 53.7% in the dot.

J.T. Compher is a pretty good player that can play center/wing and was a teammate of Larkin at Michigan for the 14/15 season. He has 41 pts in 58 games. Would ideally like a better goal scorer, but we also just need upgrades where we can get them.

Will be curious to see if Yzerman pursues Killorn or not... given we could use a guy who is a bigger body and physical. But he will be 34 by next year and he has a good amount of miles on him.

I don't think I would mind Nick Ritchie as a bottom 6 forward signing - he is big, can score, and has more hits than anyone on the Wings team this season.

The backup goalie options are pretty weak... we may have to re-sign one of Ned/Hellberg? Maybe we look at Korpisalo, or Raanta, or Adin Hill?

For defenseman we could look at Hamonic/Schenn, but I really worry about the bottom falling out with those guys. So it would have to be a short term deal for me.

**If there is already a thread like this out there, please feel free to merge this.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Apparently there are only 5 RHD with more than 17 points. We don’t need a big time offensive guy but the RD market is looking pretty thin. I wouldnt mind seeing Stevie jump the market and getting a guy like Fabbro or Mayfield now and extending them.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
No tweeners up front. Go big or go home. We have a roster full of tweeners.

No D. We are full up.

Goalie? Whatever. No backup is going to be materially better than Hellberg. League average is fine.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Honestly nothing really excites me, besides the obvious guy who will sign an extension.

I've always kinda liked Bjugstad. Bunting maybe? I really never liked Domi.

Reactions: rangersblues

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Apparently there are only 5 RHD with more than 17 points. We don’t need a big time offensive guy but the RD market is looking pretty thin. I wouldnt mind seeing Stevie jump the market and getting a guy like Fabbro or Mayfield now and extending them.
Mayfield or Fabbro would make sense, I would prefer that to the older guys I mentioned.

Honestly nothing really excites me, besides the obvious guy who will sign an extension.

Yeah, I don't know if Toronto can afford to keep Bunting. He does have 19 goals on the season.

But would he look nearly as good in Detroit as he does in Toronto? I don't know.

Reactions: JediOrderPizza

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Mayfield or Fabbro would make sense, I would prefer that to the older guys I mentioned.

Yeah, I don't know if Toronto can afford to keep Bunting. He does have 19 goals on the season.

But would he look nearly as good in Detroit as he does in Toronto? I don't know.
Yeah that is the question, seems like a guy that should slot where Bertuzzi was.

And woof that goalie market is rough, thank god we are not searching for a starting goalie this summer.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Since the goalie market is rough, I think I'd rather take my chances with Hellberg than Ned. Ideally I'd like to see a short-term thing in case Cossa forces our hand in a year or two to start giving him a look, and not spend assets on a goalie other than money.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
He's old, but Halak has always been a reliable backup for every team he has played on.

I fear Bjugstad will drop off. No evidence to show it, just a gut thing.

We need a RD and honestly, the only real one I can think of is Klingberg. Not doing good this season but anaheim is trash, so can you really fault him? Pair him up with Maatta or a defensive defensemen and I think he could be extremely beneficial playing on the second or third pairing (depending on salary...don't want to pay him 7 mill and put him on the 3rd pair...)

Timo Meier still hasn't gotten an extension so maybe there is something there still?

I think Jason Zucker would be a great fit.

Comphor is interesting but how much is his points predicated on mackinnon/rantanen/makar?

Travis hamonic is a RD...So is Niko Mikkola who has done nothing but impress the NYR guys.

Bunting can go f*** himself. He is a little baby and honestly, larkin acts like him sometimes and it is so irritating. Don't need another one.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

Clarification, are you saying Pasta?

Because I am not entirely sure Boston will be able to afford him...Their cap structure next season is so f***ed and they dont have bergeron/pasta/kreji signed anymore. And I am pretty sure bergeron is going to retire.

I fully understand Yzerman's desire for Horvat now. This team has big problems with big skilled centers, Horvat could match up with the Thompsons and Tkachuks of our division.

Sucks we can't get him as a UFA now.
Has he publicly said he went after Horvat? I haven't seen it, thats why I ask and I wanted him bad too.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Has he publicly said he went after Horvat? I haven't seen it, thats why I ask and I wanted him bad too.
Before he got dealt, multiple insiders had mentioned the Red Wings were in on trying to get him.

At the time, I thought the price was too high, but now I wonder. That might just be reactionary to the last two nights though. I don't like the thought of this team not having its 2023 first.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I think it's time to start looking ahead at what we should be trying to add this summer.

As far as forwards go... I think Max Domi would be a pretty good replacement for Bertuzzi, if he ends up not re-signing. Can play center or wing. Good possession player. Not a perimeter player. Has 18 goals and 31 assists in 60 games this year and is winning 53.7% in the dot.

J.T. Compher is a pretty good player that can play center/wing and was a teammate of Larkin at Michigan for the 14/15 season. He has 41 pts in 58 games. Would ideally like a better goal scorer, but we also just need upgrades where we can get them.

Will be curious to see if Yzerman pursues Killorn or not... given we could use a guy who is a bigger body and physical. But he will be 34 by next year and he has a good amount of miles on him.

I don't think I would mind Nick Ritchie as a bottom 6 forward signing - he is big, can score, and has more hits than anyone on the Wings team this season.

The backup goalie options are pretty weak... we may have to re-sign one of Ned/Hellberg? Maybe we look at Korpisalo, or Raanta, or Adin Hill?

For defenseman we could look at Hamonic/Schenn, but I really worry about the bottom falling out with those guys. So it would have to be a short term deal for me.

**If there is already a thread like this out there, please feel free to merge this.
There are some nice UFAs the following offseason but you have to imagine the good ones would be signed before then. The best of the bunch are Auston Matthews, Elias Petrersson, and Sebastian Aho. Mark Scheifele is getting up there but may be gettable. Elias Lindholm may be an option.

For RD there are some guys who are getting past their best by date but may be interesting as 3rd pairing/depth guys. That list includes Tyler Myers,. Chris Tanev, Brett Pesce and Matt Roy.

With goalie, the options are Marc Andre-Fleury who may be willing to split starts at his age. I don't know enough about any of the other guys.

I can see working a trade for a center, although I'd imagine all of the guys we would want will be signed by their current team. With defense I think you could probably swing a trade if you see a guy you like. With goalie I don't know that you could work a trade for flower.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Clarification, are you saying Pasta?

Because I am not entirely sure Boston will be able to afford him...Their cap structure next season is so f***ed and they dont have bergeron/pasta/kreji signed anymore. And I am pretty sure bergeron is going to retire.

Yes I was referring to Pasta.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Myers would be an interesting target. to help out on the 3rd line. Him in Chairot would be a difficult pair to play against. That said, things start to look crowded after adding another D. Seider, Walman, Hronek, Maatta, Chairot + a UFA signing/trade slots Edvinsson as the 7th D/in GR to start the next season. Of course a trade could happen but I wouldnt count my chickens before theyve hatched in that regard.

As for Pasta, Id love to offer him $13+ M but I doubt he ever becomes available.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Myers would be an interesting target. to help out on the 3rd line. Him in Chairot would be a difficult pair to play against. That said, things start to look crowded after adding another D. Seider, Walman, Hronek, Maatta, Chairot + a UFA signing/trade slots Edvinsson as the 7th D/in GR to start the next season. Of course a trade could happen but I wouldnt count my chickens before theyve hatched in that regard.

As for Pasta, Id love to offer him $13+ M but I doubt he ever becomes available.
Myers has another year at $6M. Hard pass.

Reactions: iDangleDangle

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008

In the highly unlikely event that Boston gets trounced in the first round, he might think better than signing with an older, less competitive roster like Boston.

Krejci/Bergeron might retire, 6 UFAs to sign, Swayman is a RFA, a lot of moving parts and players to sign there. Then again, this can be said of any organisation I guess.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

Before Ottawa put us in our place, I was thinking trading Bertuzzi for a 1st+, then acquiring Domi at a cheaper cost would be a great turnaround while still keeping the playoff hopes alive, so I'd be on board with simply going after Domi in the off-season. He and Bert share some similarities in the way they play the game to boot. But I really like the fit - he could play 2C or play 2C when one of Larkin/Copp go down, but he also seems like he'd be a good fit on Larkin's wing.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

I expect Pasta to re-sign in Boston, but I also expect him to be traded from Boston at some point 2-3 years into the deal. Barring Boston pulling a couple Bergerons out of their ass in the later rounds, they aren't going anywhere soon. They've got a bare cupboard and few draft assets. I think they eventually need the return that Pasta would garner to jumpstart a rebuild. If Detroit is shrewd with their cap, it might be perfect timing to acquire a 29 year old Pastrnak which hopefully by then is a move that puts us firmly in contender status.

Reactions: SirloinUB

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
you'd think the "sky is falling in Boston" talk would at least wait until the offseason to pick back up around here and not literally in the middle of a season where they're on pace to have the most points ever :laugh:

Reactions: SirloinUB

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Alex Killorn. He's unlikely to get a big contract from Tampa again considering that they have several guys moving into their extensions. He's still solid and can play up and down the lineup. Both Yzerman and Lalonde have familiarity with him. He should be good for 15-20 goals, 40-50 points.

JT Compher and Michael Bunting might be decent backup additions.

Jason Zucker is having a resurgence this year.

Barbashev is another one that's intriguing because he DID have 1 big offensive year, but then he's back to scoring like a 3rd liner.

Luke Schenn as 3rd pair RD. He's a solid veteran presence and can help out when the games get slimy. This year is proving he's still got it.

Nick Jensen is my backup choice for 3RD. Still a solid puckmover. Still very good in his own zone.

There are also a ton of veteran goalies on the market this year. I'd be interested in Antti Raanta, Koorpisalo, Varlamov, or throwing a few more million at Adin Hill. Backup goaltending has really sunk our chances at the postseason this year probably more than any position. Too many games lost due to bad goaltending.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Alex Killorn. He's unlikely to get a big contract from Tampa again considering that they have several guys moving into their extensions. He's still solid and can play up and down the lineup. Both Yzerman and Lalonde have familiarity with him. He should be good for 15-20 goals, 40-50 points.

JT Compher and Michael Bunting might be decent backup additions.

Jason Zucker is having a resurgence this year.

Barbashev is another one that's intriguing because he DID have 1 big offensive year, but then he's back to scoring like a 3rd liner.

Luke Schenn as 3rd pair RD. He's a solid veteran presence and can help out when the games get slimy. This year is proving he's still got it.

Nick Jensen is my backup choice for 3RD. Still a solid puckmover. Still very good in his own zone.

There are also a ton of veteran goalies on the market this year. I'd be interested in Antti Raanta, Koorpisalo, Varlamov, or throwing a few more million at Adin Hill. Backup goaltending has really sunk our chances at the postseason this year probably more than any position. Too many games lost due to bad goaltending.

Jensen signed a 3 year extension in Washington last night for the record

• Wow
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Jensen signed a 3 year extension in Washington last night for the record

giphy.gif

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad