Speculation: 2023 Free Agency/Trade Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Any upcoming UFAs you guys have your eye on?
Mayfield would be my top target.

Edit: I'd look at Cole and Soucy as well depending on the NCAA kids and how close they appear. At forward I think the inly guy I'd probably look into is Killorn depending on the contract.ast year was really the year to add At forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: robbieboy3686

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Probably just a pre-cursor to any Klingberg trade, but at one point Moore was shown as a cap penalty and is now on IR, so were using all 2.75mil of his cap hit now.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
What's the most you'd throw at Mayfield and who would you pair him with?
Probably something like 4-5 mill by 4 years. Using the Manson deal as a guideline. I'd put him with Fowler. They'd have to take top match ups but Fowler has proven to be able to manage adequately with the right type of partner. It's not ideal for Mayfield but he's better suited than anyone else we have or is likely available.

Last edited:

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Players I'd have various degrees of interest in:

Top targets:
Pastrnak (unlikely as it may be, throw whatever money his way it takes to at least get him to think about it)
Bunting
Domi
Zucker
Gavrikov
Tarasenko
Orlov
Mayfield
Gudas
Soucy
Bertuzzi
Haula
Nyquist
Jordan Staal
Compher
JVR
Killorn
Monahan

Cheaper players I'd like to see us take a chance on:
Lucic
Glendening
Lemieux
Reaves
Blais
Nosek
Dumoulin
Girgensons
Craig Smith
Lewis
Pius Suter
Motte
Clifton
Cogliano
Perry
Kampf
Acciari
Fast
Foligno
Okposo
Bjugstad

Jesus this list is like 3x longer than I ever intended it to be :laugh:

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC

Hard to say because there are so many guys you expect to re-sign with their current teams, or could be traded at the deadline and extended. But out of the guys I wuold say are most likely to end up as UFAs...

Compher, Kerfoot, Domi, Bunting.

I also wouldnt be completely surprised if we traded Kulikov and then brought him back this summer.

I dont love whats out there as far as UFA defense goes. I think a lot of the guys I would target will resign with their teams.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Martin sucks but could definitely see PV preferring Dostal in the AHL if Stolarz is still going to miss some more time, so I think there’s a chance we make a claim

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
If the Oilers are going to activate Yamamoto for Wednesday's game, one of Janmark, Ryan, Foegele, or Puljujarvi will have to be waived tomorrow or traded. Might be an opportunity for us to facilitate something, though I imagine they'll look outside the division first. I expect them to just waive someone over paying assets to move a guy like Puljujarvi anyways

Reactions: Ducks DVM

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
If the Oilers are going to activate Yamamoto for Wednesday's game, one of Janmark, Ryan, Foegele, or Puljujarvi will have to be waived tomorrow or traded. Might be an opportunity for us to facilitate something, though I imagine they'll look outside the division first. I expect them to just waive someone over paying assets to move a guy like Puljujarvi anyways
Possibly might happen, but I've personally been so burned before by assuming X team needs to make some sort've move to get under the cap... and then the team just IR's someone else or something weird happens and it never materializes.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Possibly might happen, but I've personally been so burned before by assuming X team needs to make some sort've move to get under the cap... and then the team just IR's someone else or something weird happens and it never materializes.
What do you mean never materializes? All sorts of cap clearing moves have been made in the past few offseasons and trade deadlines

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
My unlikely dream scenario is:

Klingberg (50% retained) and Stolarz for Zaitsev and a 2023 1st

More realistically is the same package from us returning Zaitsev, a 2023 2nd, and a 2024 2nd
If Ottawa trades its first it's 1000x more likely that it is the '24 version. I can see a scenario where we take on zaitsev and give them Henrique (retained) for that pick, but doubtful. They need quality dmen and we don't have those.

Reactions: alcolol

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
There's an argument to be made that Klingberg would perform markedly better if insulated by a better D-core. Ottawa's defense isn't leagues better than Anaheim's but Klingberg would slot in nicely behind Chabot, Sanderson (who I know is out longterm), and Zub.

The NHL insiders also suggest that Dorion would be more interested in adding than subtracting to his roster at the deadline. This would kill two birds with one stone and give Ottawa the remainder of the season to see if there's a potential fit longterm for either of Klingberg and Stolarz.

I concede that it would not be prudent for Dorion to trade Ottawa's 1st this year for two UFAs. It only starts to make sense when you consider the additional cost of dumping Zaitsev for this season and next.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
My unlikely dream scenario is:

Klingberg (50% retained) and Stolarz for Zaitsev and a 2023 1st

More realistically is the same package from us returning Zaitsev, a 2023 2nd, and a 2024 2nd
I wouldn’t want return to eat a contract and also give a trade chip. I would prefer Kleven for taking Zaitsev and Ostapachuk for Comtois or Klingberg.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
Why are we so obsessed/even interested/talking so much about Zaitsev again?

My thoughts on it are that we are potentially losing 2 to 3 veteran Dmen over the next few weeks so it is an opportunity to use our cap space to gain an asset and put a warm body in the lineup. At worst he ends up here and is terrible and helps the tank effort, and we have the option to buy him out or demote him to the AHL next season. At best he ends up eating some minutes and making more competition for the rest of the D. Either way if there is a way to get a 1st or 2nd round pick out of it I hope that Verbeek is looking into it.

Reactions: Static

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
My thoughts on it are that we are potentially losing 2 to 3 veteran Dmen over the next few weeks so it is an opportunity to use our cap space to gain an asset and put a warm body in the lineup. At worst he ends up here and is terrible and helps the tank effort, and we have the option to buy him out or demote him to the AHL next season. At best he ends up eating some minutes and making more competition for the rest of the D. Either way if there is a way to get a 1st or 2nd round pick out of it I hope that Verbeek is looking into it.
If we can get a good asset sure......

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Seeing how poorly the Flames Markstrom is playing… I wonder how much the Flames would need to pay if the Ducks were to trade Gibby for Markstrom?

1st, Zary, Kuznetzov, Ciona?

But then we would have Markstrom for another 4 years and would probably need to buy him out if he continues his horrible play…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad