2023 Draft Sleeper Picks

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I know there are late round picks who contribute every year, but it'll be interesting to see if there will be a disproportionate spike for a few years due to the loss of development from Covid. Even though it wasn't in their draft year, a lot/most of the kids being drafted for several years will have a year (or more?) of development lost.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
We’re in the process of determining our final ranking for 2023 (meeting tomorrow night), but here are some of my and McKeen’s personal favourites that I would consider sleepers:

Arttu Karki
Hoyt Stanley
Zach Nehring
Larry Keenan
Austin Roest (OA)
Stephen Peck
Ty Henricks
Eric Pohlkamp (OA)
Cole Burbidge
Joey Willis
Arno Tiefensee (OA)
Ethan Hay
Hudson Malinoski (OA)

Last edited:

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I was thinking more about guys rounds 4-5+, like I don’t think Nadeau is a sleeper, he is often viewed as a late first round pick. I guess unless one views such and such player from the top 2 rounds really well and should go much much higher.
It just depends how good you think they’ll be. I said Nadeau because I think he’ll be a Brayden Point level player. I think he should go top 15, not near the end of the first or in the 2nd/3rd

Reactions: jiboy

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
We’re in the process of determining our final ranking for 2023 (meeting tomorrow night), but here are some of my and McKeen’s personal favourites that I would consider sleepers:

Arttu Karki
Hoyt Stanley
Zach Nehring
Larry Keenan
Austin Roest (OA)
Stephen Peck
Ty Henricks
Eric Pohlkamp (OA)
Cole Burbidge
Joey Willis
Arno Tiefensee (OA)
Ethan Hay
Hudson Malinoski (OA)
Chapin has been pumping Tiefensee’s tires lately lol.

Reactions: Brock

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Easton Cowan is one of my favourite Knights players in recent years. His standout trait as a 17 year old has been his motor, and when combined with his speed, you have an extremely effective forechecker. Cowan also has a really strong overall offensive toolset as well with good hands and intelligent passing. He does lack an NHL-grade shot at this point, which could be limiting for his high-end potential. My low-end comparison for him might be something along the lines of Cody Eakin if certain aspects of his offensive game don't round out. A high-end comparison if he continues to develop well could be Robert Thomas.

Something to keep in mind with Cowan's production is that he saw very little powerplay minutes in the regular season.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
To help steer the discussion, often sleeper picks have some special ability that they had not yet been able to translate to consistent success by the time of the draft. Examples from last year include Alexis Gendron who was an elite skater with a pro level shot, or Josh Filmon who has a devastating shot, or Adam Engström who has an excellent combination of skating and puck handling.

Who is in ranked in the later rounds, but has some special physical ability?

WayneGretzky

Jul 25, 2016
To help steer the discussion, often sleeper picks have some special ability that they had not yet been able to translate to consistent success by the time of the draft. Examples from last year include Alexis Gendron who was an elite skater with a pro level shot, or Josh Filmon who has a devastating shot, or Adam Engström who has an excellent combination of skating and puck handling.

Who is in ranked in the later rounds, but has some special physical ability?
Based on this metric specifically, I like Kasper Halttunen, not in my top 40-50 as he has a lot of work to do, but what a shot!

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Jake Sloan went undrafted last season. I was surprised. He’s always impressive when I watch Tri-City. I could see someone taking him in a later round this year. I certainly would.
Interesting enough for me it's Deagen McMillan of Tri City that I like better. He may be nothing, but he's got the skill. I could see him exploding next year,

Sloan's a decent prospect, but he's fairly vanilla for me,

Others of note for me-

Not a sleeper per se, but I think Jesse Kiiskinen belongs in the discussion around pick 30. I've seen rankings where he's nowhere to be found.

I really like Tuomas Uronen's skill level. I'd take a chance in the later rounds.

Jaden Lipinski is a sleeper for sure. He's got bottom six written all over him.

Tanner Adams was someone I really liked at the Hlinka Gretzky. Haven't seen a ton of him since.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Some guys I have on my list that will probably go in the 3rd or later that I find interesting... couple of them already mentioned:

Arttu Karki
Beckett Hendrickson
Cole Burbidge
Tanner Adams
Justin Kipkie
Vojtech Port
Felix Unger Sorum
Daniil Karpovich
Kalem Parker
Yegor Sidorov (OA)
Carther Sotheran
Rodwin Dionicio (OA)

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
A size queen may take him in the first for sure, but it’s easy to rank 40-50 guys as better in this particular draft.
i have him at 64. I just haven’t really seen it. I think that ultimately might be too low on him, but I just don’t know if he’ll be able to carve out an NHL role with his skillset.

But that’s just my personal preference. I’d rather take a chance on an undersized more skilled player. For instance, if he goes above Gavin Brindley, I will be so confused.

WayneGretzky

Jul 25, 2016
i have him at 64. I just haven’t really seen it. I think that ultimately might be too low on him, but I just don’t know if he’ll be able to carve out an NHL role with his skillset.

But that’s just my personal preference. I’d rather take a chance on an undersized more skilled player. For instance, if he goes above Gavin Brindley, I will be so confused.
I agree, that’s about where I’d have him too. I think he fits well for what that poster was looking for, has one tool, but nothing else to really get excited about.

Definitely 50+ guys I would prefer, maybe even 60+, in my opinion, he’d be a bad first round pick, but a great late 2nd, early 3rd.

Guy like this would likely be a first round pick in 75% of drafts, but this year is exceptional.

Reactions: Realgud

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
some guys i like that all seem to be mid to later round options:

felix unger sorum, matthew mania, samuel urban, aiden fink, hudson malinoski, ryan conmy, cole knuble, sawyer mynio,
terrell goldsmith, joey willis, juha jatkola, andrei loshko, jonathan castagna, gavyn thoreson
adding ryan fine to this grouping. versatile guy, seems to have grown a lot the past year or 2.

MTU34

Oct 6, 2020
I really like Michael Hagens. Everything he does is silky smooth.

I’ll also throw out a couple of really deep cuts that aren’t even on central scouting’s list in ushl overagers Isaac Gordon and Chase Pietila (though I’m admittedly biased there given their college commitments)

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
Easton Cowan is one of my favourite Knights players in recent years. His standout trait as a 17 year old has been his motor, and when combined with his speed, you have an extremely effective forechecker. Cowan also has a really strong overall offensive toolset as well with good hands and intelligent passing. He does lack an NHL-grade shot at this point, which could be limiting for his high-end potential. My low-end comparison for him might be something along the lines of Cody Eakin if certain aspects of his offensive game don't round out. A high-end comparison if he continues to develop well could be Robert Thomas.

Something to keep in mind with Cowan's production is that he saw very little powerplay minutes in the regular season.

how would you compare cowan to barkey personally? watched the game the other night and really liked barkeys game...great motor and showed some skill. know the two are built similar, comparable numbers, and ranked fairly similar. didn't notice cowan as much but was one game...seems like barkey is slightly ahead by most objective measures but curious what someone who's seen a lot of both would say separates them for better or worse.

barkey's a guy i think i'd be very happy to see the rangers take based on what little i've seen. unfortunately think that's very unlikely to happen.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
A real sleeper: Peteris Bulans

In the playoffs he was involved in 46% of his teams' goals (6 of 13) and was one of only two plus players. In the u18s, he was involved in half of Latvia's goals (3 of 6). He is very disciplined--one of the least penalized D in the draft. That is a quality that is going to become more valued as analytics focus on the impact of being short-handed.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

In the playoffs he was involved in 46% of his teams' goals (6 of 13) and was one of only two plus players. In the u18s, he was involved in half of Latvia's goals (3 of 6). He is very disciplined--one of the least penalized D in the draft. That is a quality that is going to become more valued as analytics focus on the impact of being short-handed.

Nice, how are his tools?

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

This is a really good one - was decently hyped for a prospect out of Latvia last year - and dealt with i injuries for most of the year. But when he played, he played quite well for a 17-year-old import defender all things considered.

Reactions: emptyNedder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad