Podcast (Audio) 2023 Draft Evaluation: Jakub Dvořák w/ Ruutu, Yannetti & Wheeler

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
The conversation of Dvořák's skating is fascinating to me. Dissenting opinions firmly held.

The LA Kings selected defenseman Jakub Dvořák in the 2nd round (54th overall) of the 2023 Entry Draft. Dvořák spent the 2022-23 season with HC Bílí Tygři Liberec (The Czech Extraliga/ELH) and will likely return for the 2023-24 season. Christian Ruuttu, Director of European Scouting, and Mark Yannetti, Director of Amateur Scouting discuss the Kings thought process behind the pick and Scott Wheeler (The Athletic) gives Jesse Cohen and Zach Dooley his personal scouting report on the young defenseman.

LB

Jun 4, 2014
Los Angeles
It's actually funny how Wheeler considers his skating as a "huge red flag" and then the Kings scouts think it's a strength or at least above average for his size. I don't think I've seen opinions on skating that far apart.... sure sometimes it's good skater vs average skater or poor skater vs slightly below average...but this situation is just strange!

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
I don't think I've seen opinions on skating that far apart.... sure sometimes it's good skater vs average skater or poor skater vs slightly below average...but this situation is just strange!
totally bizarre to me

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
It's actually funny how Wheeler considers his skating as a "huge red flag" and then the Kings scouts think it's a strength or at least above average for his size. I don't think I've seen opinions on skating that far apart.... sure sometimes it's good skater vs average skater or poor skater vs slightly below average...but this situation is just strange!
But they have gotten it right in the past with others such as Pearson, Toffoli and seemingly ClarKE (I’m sure there are others) so it’s an area I’m willing to give them latitude on.

Also, is Wheeler a coach in a past life? If not I presume he’d see different things.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
But they have gotten it right in the past with others such as Pearson, Toffoli and seemingly ClarKE (I’m sure there are others) so it’s an area I’m willing to give them latitude on.

Also, is Wheeler a coach in a past life? If not I presume he’d see different things.
Those are just a few instances unfortunately. Those are more likely the few success stories than anything. For example Durzi has been one of the worst small skaters I’ve seen. MacDermid was bad too. Just off the top of my head.

LB

Jun 4, 2014
Los Angeles

To be clear, I'm not questioning the scouts - I just think it's strange that there is such a disparity in opinion which I haven't seen before for skating specifically. Sounds like Jesse is making the same point.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I admit I suck at skating evaluations. My issue with Wheeler is he really didn't even say (or I didn't catch on to) what "exactly" is wrong with his skating. He mentioned some circumstances, like how injury can play a part. I was working though, so maybe I missed something?

But I didn't hear specifics as far as bad pivots, low explosivity, poor balance, bad flexion, etc. Just "he'll be beat by faster skaters." No shit. McDavid will be beat by a faster skater, but there's nobody who combines all these superior talents into a better body of work.

What I appreciate about Ruuttu is he acknowledges growth opportunities in the skating, and provided context as to why he doesn't see it as a problem in the future - kid just hasn't developed the lower muscle mass yet.

FWIW, with what little I see, I'm less concerned about his skating. He covers a lot of ice. Yes, it can improve, but I think he's more held back by lack of offensive instincts, and think he's more likely to be a minute-eating stay-at-home defenseman, like Derek Forbort.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Those are just a few instances unfortunately. Those are more likely the few success stories than anything. For example Durzi has been one of the worst small skaters I’ve seen. MacDermid was bad too. Just off the top of my head.
True but did anyone in the Kings assess Durzi and MacD’s skating as good or something that’s significantly improve? Genuine question because I don’t know. The guys I listed the Kings felt would improve as they got stronger.

To be clear, I'm not questioning the scouts - I just think it's strange that there is such a disparity in opinion which I haven't seen before for skating specifically. Sounds like Jesse is making the same point.
It’s a fair question even if you were. I wasn’t so much arguing as more expanding on the thought really, it’s a good discussion. Certainly better than our goaltenders and prospect development… again :naughty::laugh:

Reactions: King'sPawn

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I admit I suck at skating evaluations. My issue with Wheeler is he really didn't even say (or I didn't catch on to) what "exactly" is wrong with his skating. He mentioned some circumstances, like how injury can play a part. I was working though, so maybe I missed something?

But I didn't hear specifics as far as bad pivots, low explosivity, poor balance, bad flexion, etc. Just "he'll be beat by faster skaters." No shit. McDavid will be beat by a faster skater, but there's nobody who combines all these superior talents into a better body of work.

What I appreciate about Ruuttu is he acknowledges growth opportunities in the skating, and provided context as to why he doesn't see it as a problem in the future - kid just hasn't developed the lower muscle mass yet.

FWIW, with what little I see, I'm less concerned about his skating. He covers a lot of ice. Yes, it can improve, but I think he's more held back by lack of offensive instincts, and think he's more likely to be a minute-eating stay-at-home defenseman, like Derek Forbort.

Yeah I really liked Ruuttu's insight on that. Similar as with Clarke, some of it is simply athelticism/muscle building, and that for big guy, he doesn't have (m)any of the balance or coordination issues that come with it.

To be fair to Wheeler he DID specifically say he was getting beat in bad pivots and I forget what else, it was mentioned in something in the AThletic, so it was a specific complaint even if people disagree with it. I think Forbort is a great comparison because there were similar disagreements with his predraft, some were saying he had heavy feet but others were saying he was a very fleet skater and reality ended up somewhere in between, an above average NHL skater. People are pretty clearly seeing different things at different times vs. different competition, and similarly both guys played vs. several different levels of competition in highlights.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Yeah I really liked Ruuttu's insight on that. Similar as with Clarke, some of it is simply athelticism/muscle building, and that for big guy, he doesn't have (m)any of the balance or coordination issues that come with it.

To be fair to Wheeler he DID specifically say he was getting beat in bad pivots and I forget what else, it was mentioned in something in the AThletic, so it was a specific complaint even if people disagree with it. I think Forbort is a great comparison because there were similar disagreements with his predraft, some were saying he had heavy feet but others were saying he was a very fleet skater and reality ended up somewhere in between, an above average NHL skater. People are pretty clearly seeing different things at different times vs. different competition, and similarly both guys played vs. several different levels of competition in highlights.
Ah, thank you. I tried to pay close attention but of course it's that moment I miss (unless you mean he didn't say it, only that it was written).

I'm sure his pivots can improve, but he can make up some of his deficiencies with reach.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Ah, thank you. I tried to pay close attention but of course it's that moment I miss (unless you mean he didn't say it, only that it was written).

I'm sure his pivots can improve, but he can make up some of his deficiencies with reach.

I believe he said it too but he definitely wrote it, and yeah i'm not really defending wheeler's opinion here, only that he actually had one.

Regardless some of my thoughts

he does have a short stride that doesn't generate a lot of power or explosiveness but I agree with ruuttu that's pretty 'fixable' with growth

agree with Wheeler that he has a tendency to slap the puck around--like a quarterback who tunnelvisions one receiver, he makes a quick decision often to make the safe play without checking for an option. lots of just hammering it off the boards. Not necessarily a bad thing altogether for his 'type' of dman and some of it was probably game planning but NHL checkers will take advantage and take away the easy wall play. development opportunity.

Skating is 'good enough' against very strong peers, but wouldn't really call it a strength or weakness. However, how does that project to the next level? Needs to be stronger. That's my takeaway from Ruuttu, honestly--maybe they dont' see it as an 'issue' because its' surely fixable to some degree, but to suggest there's no worry at all? I'm not so sure. He doesn't get beat, but he doesn't beat anyone. Everything turns into a 50-50 puck. See Moverare for example.

Obviously raw, but good head on his shoulders, sort of a Hal Gill presence in these games, just a defensive general back there.

And again these aren't really criticisms, there's a lot of positive in there and a lot of upside.

can see a lot of this below

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad