2023 Draft - 2nd Pick: Nathan Day (G)

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Looking for positives:
  • it appears his save percentage increased every month he played.
  • He stole the starters net from a 20 year old drafted vet goalie (granted a 6th rounder as well).
  • 12 of the 28 games he played more than 30 minutes he was over .900. 10 of which .917 or higher.
  • 10-2 stretch to finish the regular season
  • Decent size to work with
Negative:
  • Overall numbers not great except the win-loss ratio
  • Inconsistent as he also had 10 games below .850
Could be a surprise if he can learn to find his good games on a more consistent basis and limit the poor ones.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Team needs to take as many swings at drafting goalies until it works as far as I'm concerned. Been an organizational weakness for as long as I've been a fan.
should also try to get Jackson Unger from moosejaw on a try out contract, kid is underrated imo

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
I mean why just waste a pick on such no names ? They couldn't just take a flyer in some skilled forward or d ?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
The comment about stocking the cupboards with goalies is somewhat valid, but I'm less convinced of that when we only have three picks total in the draft, especially as there are many young goalies with similar potential available by other means at low cost.

Ultimately, its a sixth rounder so the risk is pretty much non existant, but I tend to like home run swings at this point in the draft. It doesn't feel like this is one. Odds of him even becoming a trade asset in the next five years is very low, but now that he's an Oiler will be cheering him on to success the next few years.
The odds of anyone picked in the 6th round becoming anything or a trade asset in the next five years is very low. Odds are probably higher of a goalie who’s drafted late being a success story than a skater.

Reactions: bone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad