2023 Development Cup

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
The government have no interest in opening a rink. Private investment is not been used. The IIha just need to find land and a council willing to give to go ahead
To be fair, Irish people don't really care about winter sports. I lived there for 17 years and every time I would be asked which football team I support, I would say I'm more of a hockey fan. They would then laugh at me and say I'm in the wrong country.

Close to absolutely no one south of the border has ever heard of the IIHA, the national teams or even the Belfast Giants. When the Dundalk Ice Dome was still open, most people wouldn't even be aware of it (can't blame them, I always thought it was a bad location but hey, prime real estate there is simply outrageously expensive).

The only time I genuinely remember hockey being mentioned in a major news outlet was 2 articles in 2011 about the Stanley Cup finals' game 7. The first one was about tickets' black market value and the second about the subsequent riots. Needless to say not the greatest moment in hockey history.

Apart from when the Winter OG are on, you won't get it on TV unless you pay extra on your package to get Premier Sports. And let's be honest if Sky or RTE doesn't cover it, they won't care. All is left is for the NT to get good results to whip up some interest like the cricket team did . But there hasn't been enough time for that to happen when the opportunity was there.

Some people are interested going skating when the rinks are up around Christmas but not enough to create some kind of electoral incentive. So why would the government care about spending money on a rink if the general public at large is not that keen on it.

So private funding it has to be. I don't think finding a council would be the biggest challenge per say as I guess the rink would be considered commercial building, therefore rates. The land picked would need to be of absolutely no residential value considering the complete joke the housing situation is (the number one reason why we left as we couldn't afford moving out of our tiny one bedroom apartment). Energy efficiency would to be of the upmost importance to keep not only running cost down but also newfound greenwashing naysayers to a minimum.

In the end, I believe the biggest problem here would be and by far An Taisce. I do agree on principle with their purpose but, oh God, those guys can be some serious arrogant pricks. I have done some work for them and, unless you are an intellectual bulls..tter like them, they will consider you a leech to their snobbish society. Anything that can provide pleasure to the plebs is abhorrent to them and a rink would represent everything they hate. To be able to get rid of them, you would need some serious public support to show the local TDs to the point of making it an electoral issue. Otherwise they will shut the planning permission process down the same way they did the Liffey Valley expansion.

Until then, you got only two real options. Either renovate the Dundalk Ice Dome (that would cut your trip to a rink by what? an hour) or wait for the 32 counties to get back together. Then you got ice in the Republic.

Last edited:

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
I wonder if Liechtenstein would have a rink and a team playing either in the Swiss or the Austrian league, if they'd be allowed to play regular World Championship. The rules are, as far as I know, that you have a domestic league, and Liechtenstein just doesn't have the size for that. Even in football they're playing in the Swiss leagues.
We have to see how the Andorra plan is going to pan out. It's also a small country not fulfilling the required number of registered players. They started a house league during Covid and opened it to nearby clubs this season. They are looking to get back into the Spanish system but their U15 got their application refused this season due to the protection screens at the Palau de gel not being up to standards.

So if they get a rink and show they are developing the sport with the little means they have, they is a chance

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
At least based on their appearances at the Development Cup, Andorra seems to be further away from having a serious national team project despite having a rink ready and being significantly more populous. But it's clear that putting together a serious team of eligible players every year is going to be a challenge to countries this small.

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
Andorra does have a population twice the size of Liechtenstein's but lies in a region a lot less hockey-friendly.

The two main problems for both countries to meet minimum requirements for WC participation are the number of registered players (60 per category for men's and women's senior and U20, 45 for U18) and having 4 teams playing organised hockey whether in national or cross-border leagues (I was convinced it had to be a national championship but cross-border leagues have been included since 2014).

So, actually, creating a pool of eligible players wouldn't be all that hard if those challenges are met.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
A lot of countries have certain things exist on paper only, but Liechtenstein should have potential for some 200-300 hockey players. Not tomorrow certainly, but down the road.

Reactions: FrHockeyFan

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Liechtenstein has 2100 active football players and 7 active teams.
I doubt that there is potential for 4 teams and 200-300 players.

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
The IIHF uses the term team in its S&B, not club.

Take Luxembourg as an example. Tornado Luxembourg covers senior hockey in the capital and consists of 4 men's teams and one women's. Meanwhile Huskies Luxembourg takes care of youth hockey (U20 and below). Finally you have IHC Beaufort who has 2 men's teams and some youth ones. 3 clubs only but 6 men's teams playing at home and abroad. That's how they fill up the requirement. There is no way countries like Andorra or Liechtenstein can support more than two clubs at best but four teams is not impossible.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
In soccer club teams including youth ones are full of non-domestic players, surely that would be the case to some extent in hockey as well.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
There haven't been many new sports facilities built in Liechtenstein in recent years, but last year a climbing hall got approved by the government with the condition that the alpine sports federation covers 20 % of the construction costs (roughly $5.5m government and $1.4m sports federation). I think a hockey arena would necessarily need project partners from multiple other sports, but that shouldn't be impossible.

kev85

Mar 27, 2015
To be fair, Irish people don't really care about winter sports. I lived there for 17 years and every time I would be asked which football team I support, I would say I'm more of a hockey fan. They would then laugh at me and say I'm in the wrong country.

Close to absolutely no one south of the border has ever heard of the IIHA, the national teams or even the Belfast Giants. When the Dundalk Ice Dome was still open, most people wouldn't even be aware of it (can't blame them, I always thought it was a bad location but hey, prime real estate there is simply outrageously expensive).

The only time I genuinely remember hockey being mentioned in a major news outlet was 2 articles in 2011 about the Stanley Cup finals' game 7. The first one was about tickets' black market value and the second about the subsequent riots. Needless to say not the greatest moment in hockey history.

Apart from when the Winter OG are on, you won't get it on TV unless you pay extra on your package to get Premier Sports. And let's be honest if Sky or RTE doesn't cover it, they won't care. All is left is for the NT to get good results to whip up some interest like the cricket team did . But there hasn't been enough time for that to happen when the opportunity was there.

Some people are interested going skating when the rinks are up around Christmas but not enough to create some kind of electoral incentive. So why would the government care about spending money on a rink if the general public at large is not that keen on it.

So private funding it has to be. I don't think finding a council would be the biggest challenge per say as I guess the rink would be considered commercial building, therefore rates. The land picked would need to be of absolutely no residential value considering the complete joke the housing situation is (the number one reason why we left as we couldn't afford moving out of our tiny one bedroom apartment). Energy efficiency would to be of the upmost importance to keep not only running cost down but also newfound greenwashing naysayers to a minimum.

In the end, I believe the biggest problem here would be and by far An Taisce. I do agree on principle with their purpose but, oh God, those guys can be some serious arrogant pricks. I have done some work for them and, unless you are an intellectual bulls..tter like them, they will consider you a leech to their snobbish society. Anything that can provide pleasure to the plebs is abhorrent to them and a rink would represent everything they hate. To be able to get rid of them, you would need some serious public support to show the local TDs to the point of making it an electoral issue. Otherwise they will shut the planning permission process down the same way they did the Liffey Valley expansion.

Until then, you got only two real options. Either renovate the Dundalk Ice Dome (that would cut your trip to a rink by what? an hour) or wait for the 32 counties to get back together. Then you got ice in the

Dundalk is a no-go. Dkit doesn't want to sell or rent the building out.

Really I don't see Ireland ever getting a rink

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
Dundalk is a no-go. Dkit doesn't want to sell or rent the building out.

Really I don't see Ireland ever getting a rink
If DKIT indeed does not bulge, then yeah there is no chance for a purpose-built rink anytime soon.

What about a Santry-style project but with more room to fit the 500-seat gauge needed to meet WC requirements? I guess there would be loads of red tape to cut through but why not?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
It's in German but translator can probably translate that quite good.

A long article about ice hockey in Liechtenstein and their win at the Development cup:

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
Recycling the topic.

According to the AAHHL's social media, the women's 2023 Development Cup is planned for next November. Argentina, Colombia, Ireland, Kuwait, Luxembourg and UAE would be the participants. No mention of who is hosting the event, apart they are reusing the 2022 Cup's logo that includes the Kuwait flag.

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
The IIHA has announced new details about the 2023 IIHF Women's Development Cup. It will take place from 6th November in Krynica-Zdroj, Poland. Only 4 teams will be there.

After losing to the Caribbean team at the Latam Cup final last Sunday, Colombia will defend its title. Third place Argentina will participate for the first time. Ireland is the only other team from last year to be back. Meanwhile Iran will complete the field and hope to build upon the silver medal won at the IIHF Asia-Oceania Championship earlier this year.

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
The Girls in Green are prepping themselves with a double header tonight and tomorrow at Belfast's Dundonald Ice Bowl against the Caledonian Steel Queens of the WNIHL 2 (British women's third tier).

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
The Irish NT lost last night's game 3-4 SO. Second game tonight will be live streamed on the Steel Queens' FB page.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad