Speculation: 2023 deadline pick potential

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
This year's crop of UFAs on the team aren't very interesting.

Anderson, Dvorak, Edmundson are who could get 1sts. It's the perfect year to sell some of them and add first rounders. Retain if you have to. Dvorak retained at 50% would definitely garner a first for a contender. It gives them two post-seasons for a third line C at the price of some overpaid veteran fourth liners.

Reactions: DAChampion

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Maybe we get a 7th for Kulak... maybe...
Exactly. Most of the market at the trade deadline is for dmen. Wingers especially are a dime a dozen, unless they are special. So unless they move Allen or Drouin has a strong season not expecting much of a haul.

Reactions: WinterLion

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Exactly. Most of the market at the trade deadline is for dmen. Wingers especially are a dime a dozen, unless they are special. So unless they move Allen or Drouin has a strong season not expecting much of a haul.

Yeah I think you are probably correct. It's a bit early for this type of talk. I think things will likely change quite a bit over the course of the year. I would be surprised if the team doesn't add a D that can be flipped at the deadline at some point either through waivers or by trading a winger.

Reactions: Chili

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Not much value with the pending UFAs but I have a feeling they'll move Edmundson for a decent return provided he's reasonably healthy.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Supply/Demand

What kind of asset each of them are trending at come February - how many similar assets are avaible / how many teams have that need.

Btw Drouin, Dadonov, Allen, Byron...

1 or 2 first round picks and 1 or 2 2nd round picks (or equivalent prospects) is definitely possible, best case... Especially if we retain.

Worst case, we can't get more than a 3rd for any of them.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Byron will probably fetch a 2nd round pick. Playoff Teams always look for utility more than scoring depth.

Guys like Dadonov and Drouin probably fetches 3rd round picks unless they have a very good season.

JC Superstar

Aug 7, 2013
Yeah I think you are probably correct. It's a bit early for this type of talk. I think things will likely change quite a bit over the course of the year. I would be surprised if the team doesn't add a D that can be flipped at the deadline at some point either through waivers or by trading a winger.

I see the Habs using their first waver choice to get somebody like Myers, Foote or Clifton that they could trade at TDL.

Dadonov and Allen could go for something interesting especially if it's for the 2024 draft. A RFA like Pezzetta could also fetch something.

Byron medical history make retirement more likely than a second, but who knows? If Drouin has a break out season, he would likely be resigned at the same salary or lower. Hoffman could go real cheap.

So a first in 2024 and a second plus a fourth and a fifth for retaining salary, another fourth for Hoffman and 12M to 14M in salary cap space. That would be (cap space) heaven to me, anything more a bonus.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Agreed. Dvorak is our best shot at acquiring a 1st come deadline time. Teams will certainly pay for a top 9 center. Hopefully he gets off to a strong start.

I don't think our brass have any interest in trading Anderson unless their socks get completely blown off.
Anderson maybe dealt. There was big offer for him at trade deadline. Habs had no intention of trading Lekhonen a year ago

I would keep Savard, he probably dosen’t have any value and he’s a good vet to keep in a young team, especially our defensive groupe. Many players said how much Savard help them when they where younger.
Right shot also. We thin on right side. Eddy may have to play on his off side if Guhle makes the team.

First Line

There’s something about Marty
Aug 21, 2002
Easy to figure out. What did soft unidimensional wingers fetched at last year’s deadline!

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Easy to figure out. What did soft unidimensional wingers fetched at last year’s deadline!
Dadonov is none of those things. And he wouldn't take up much cap space with retention.

Yea. Well HuGo moved Lehkonen and Toffoli last season for good value.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Dadonov is none of those things. And he wouldn't take up much cap space with retention.

Yea. Well HuGo moved Lehkonen and Toffoli last season for good value.
And Brandon Hagel got a very nice return too. Doesn't change my opinion though.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
With this being a highly rated draft, and our UFAs being high on the ‘bums’ scale, I’m not expecting much for this deadline, and nothing like last year in terms of returns.

Gonna need to see some breaking out of washed up players to even sniff a 2nd.

Reactions: jrom and Chr1s97

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
And Brandon Hagel got a very nice return too. Doesn't change my opinion though.
Teams like Boston and Pittsburgh should be willing to move picks for a last kick at the can. Other teams may have better players to offer up though. Allen would likely be the best backup available but he would be worth a 2nd at the most. Dvorak if there is a shortage of centres available. And as someone else mentioned they can always take 2024 draft picks.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
With this being a highly rated draft, and our UFAs being high on the ‘bums’ scale, I’m not expecting much for this deadline, and nothing like last year in terms of returns.

Gonna need to see some breaking out of washed up players to even sniff a 2nd.

Anderson is our best chance of getting a first, if he plays well this season and we can trade him.

Also, nice avatar!

Reactions: jrom and McGees

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
This year's crop of UFAs on the team aren't very interesting.

Anderson, Dvorak, Edmundson are who could get 1sts. It's the perfect year to sell some of them and add first rounders. Retain if you have to. Dvorak retained at 50% would definitely garner a first for a contender. It gives them two post-seasons for a third line C at the price of some overpaid veteran fourth liners.
These players are not on expiring contracts . I highly doubt any retention will be provided by the Habs. The players will only move in hockey trades not a deadline deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad