Speculation: 2023 deadline pick potential

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
So the top 4 trade line candidates and the pick potential is not likely to be as favourable as 2022. Kulak produced a 2nd plus, Fla gave up 1st for Chariot. Toff got a first in a hockey deal.

2023 looks less favourable:

Dadonov - hope for a second and a 30 goal season. Likely a third or 4th
byron- hope for second, maybe a fifth depending on health and year
allen, hope for a second, potentially a 4th
Drouin, a second but easily could be a 5th with a poor year
I am trying to be optimistic but team will. Are moves to start to integrate prospects in last half of the year ANd to support a bottom five finish

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
We aren't trading Allen for a 4th and there's zero chance Byron gets a 2nd even with 50% retained. I'd rather use our retention slot on someone else.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
If Dadonov has a 30 goal season he will fetch a first or a good prospect
Same with Drouin, if he ends up breaking out under MSL and his wrist looks good he could fetch a first or a good prospect.
Allen could likely get a second rounder, probably more.
Not sure about the others. Byron, possibly a second rounder.

With the cap still a huge factor, having low cost assets for a playoff push is still extremely valuable, I think this season even more so than last one. Not sure the teams making a push will care as much about a low first if they're confident in being able to make a run.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Same with Drouin, if he ends up breaking out under MSL and his wrist looks good he could fetch a first or a good prospect.

With the cap still a huge factor, having low cost assets for a playoff push is still extremely valuable, I think this season even more so than last one. Not sure the teams making a push will care as much about a low first if they're confident in being able to make a run.
You're being too optimistic. Byron isn't fetching anything. Much less a 2nd rounder.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Unfortunately (or fortunately) it is far too early to tell what kind of season it will be in the NHL and what kind of season our players will have. Last year they had residual value coming off that deep Playoff run - Chiarot, Toffoli, even Kulak were overvalued on the market (even going into their UFA paydays). Scoring was very high last year too so every GM felt bullish about their chances, they took bigger risks.

This year the remaining players have the stink of being the last placed team all over them.

Pending UFAs:
Byron, Drouin, Dadanov, Allen

Pending UFAs+1:
Edmundson, Wideman, Pitlick, Hoffman

Longer term contracts:
Savard, Gallagher, Armia, Dvorak, Anderson, Matheson, etc.

Hughes sold what he could last year. Now it's a matter of gritting our teeth and trying to play as well as possible this year (knowing it will fall short of 'success'). If the players produce and the Habs are out of the playoff picture, they will be sold. If the Habs are out of the playoff picture and the players do not produce, they won't be sold. If the Habs are somehow, miraculously, in the playoff picture I think Hughes will stand pat.

Reactions: Lshap

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
So the top 4 trade line candidates and the pick potential is not likely to be as favourable as 2022. Kulak produced a 2nd plus, Fla gave up 1st for Chariot. Toff got a first in a hockey deal.

I am trying to be optimistic but team will. Are moves to start to integrate prospects in last half of the year ANd to support a bottom five finish
Hey great name! Lol I am going to change my name next season to Weber-Price '21. Where he no longer with team.

Getting back to your post, by next year this time I am looking to add 7 good prospect to our already deep farm system. A couple of prospects at the deadline. Then I add another first in Dvorak trade. Another first if we trade Eddy. Gives us 4 first round picks and an early 2nd. Along with 23 million in caproom for '23 off season.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We aren't trading Allen for a 4th and there's zero chance Byron gets a 2nd even with 50% retained. I'd rather use our retention slot on someone else.

Byron is the type of pkayoff warrior that could get a 2nd if he stays healthy and has pretty good year. The problem is it's unlikely he'll be healthy, and thus be able to have a good year.

I agree with what you're saying. I'm not expecting a whole lot from these players.

But, teams can get crazy when loading up at the deadline. Let's hope some among these 4 have good years and then anything is possible approaching the TDL.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
The chances of Drouin breaking out under MSL and his wrist looking good are very low. We've been waiting for JD to "break out" for years now, and Drouin himself said his wrist will never be the same as it once was.

Reactions: SwiftyHab

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
Hey great name! Lol I am going to change my name next season to Weber-Price '21. Where he no longer with team.

Getting back to your post, by next year this time I am looking to add 7 good prospect to our already deep farm system. A couple of prospects at the deadline. Then I add another first in Dvorak trade. Another first if we trade Eddy. Gives us 4 first round picks and an early 2nd. Along with 23 million in caproom for '23 off season.
So is the gameplay on NHL23 really that good?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The chances of Drouin breaking out under MSL and his wrist looking good are very low. We've been waiting for JD to "break out" for years now, and Drouin himself said his wrist will never be the same as it once was.

When did Drouin say this about his wrist never being the same?

Let's hope that doesn't happen with Dach.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
The one guy to sell high at the deadline is Dvorak, he's not in the future plans and we need to shed salary to replace it with cheaper options.

I'm curious if we can dump Savard as well.

Dadanov, Byron and Drouin will fetch what they will fetch - I'm not overly concerned.

Of course, if good offers come for Hoffman, no reason to wait.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
With the lack of quality amongst the expiring contracts, the best chance at a 2nd round pick would be to move Dadonov for whatever you can get retaining on him. Then you use the cap space freed up to act as a middle team to retain salary on a deal between 2 other teams and trade a 4th for a 2nd for providing the service. Complicated but barring a goalie injury to a contender raising Allen's stock don't see a 2nd rounder for any of our players.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
The one guy to sell high at the deadline is Dvorak, he's not in the future plans and we need to shed salary to replace it with cheaper options.

Dadanov, Byron and Drouin will fetch what they will fetch - I'm not overly concerned.

Agreed. Dvorak is our best shot at acquiring a 1st come deadline time. Teams will certainly pay for a top 9 center. Hopefully he gets off to a strong start.

I don't think our brass have any interest in trading Anderson unless their socks get completely blown off.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Other than potentially Dvorak it seems like a waste.

Maybe the Habs can flip a waiver pickup.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Teams will think twice about trading 1st/2nd pick in such a stacked draft.

Allen is our best bet imo to get a decent pick from a team aiming for a deep playoff run.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Teams will think twice about trading 1st/2nd pick in such a stacked draft.

Allen is our best bet imo to get a decent pick from a team aiming for a deep playoff run.
Agree, but Allen won't get us better than a late 2nd round pick, IMO, from a serious contender. That's not a pick that will significantly affect the Habs' draft fortunes, unless they hit a home run with a high risk, high reward type of prospect, a little like they did when they selected Hutson.

I doubt we land a 1st rounder from any of our players on expiring deals, but, if Drouin, for example, somehow breaks out under MSL's tutelage, I think we could get a 2nd rounder and a conditional 2nd rounder if he re-signs with the team that acquires him.

Dadonov, if he 's on pace for 20+ goals, lands us a 2nd rounder for sure.

Byron is toast, health-wise, IMO, and likely won't garner much interest at the trade deadline.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

I would keep Savard, he probably dosen’t have any value and he’s a good vet to keep in a young team, especially our defensive groupe. Many players said how much Savard help them when they where younger.

Reactions: jrom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad