Series Discussion 2023 Dallas Stars Playoffs Discussion | Round 2 vs. Seattle Kraken | Dallas WINS GAME 7!

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
My dream is that at some point during Miro's career we can put a competent player on his right side. Hasn't happened yet, but if it does the Cup likely follows.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
miro.png

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
These analytics guys will defend their models with their lives. No point in arguing with them, they don't generally even watch the games imo so you're fighting a guy who bases everything on his model and believes it truly is accurate no matter what

Micah especially loves to start stuff

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
These analytics guys will defend their models with their lives. No point in arguing with them, they don't generally even watch the games imo so you're fighting a guy who bases everything on his model and believes it truly is accurate no matter what

And I love a lot of what they do, but trying to focus on one game with some of these stats can give you some silly conclusions.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB

Which is why "Shut up you f***ing nerd" was the appropriate (and also hilarious) response.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
My dream is that at some point during Miro's career we can put a competent player on his right side. Hasn't happened yet, but if it does the Cup likely follows.
I still remember when Heiskanen and Klingberg played together and absolutely dominated, but th rest of the D got caved in

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
It's also annoying when someone demands you ignore PP and PK play when evaluating a night's work. Miro played five minutes of specialty teams minutes. He was in the ice for both Stars PP goals (assisted on one) and was on the ice for parts of the PKs the Stars killed off.

Reactions: LT

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Looks like this Stars tweet (which I thought was funny) has been deleted:

1683749385535.png

The amount of pearl clutching that happened in the QRTs for the post was funny too. So many Twitter folks and glorified blog writers getting butthurt over such an inane response. :laugh:

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: redbeardtx and LT

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
I like to use analytics and I like Micah but man you can't criticize them or their analytics without being labeled as a dinosaur who doesn't understand the apparent quantitative objectivity of their systems. A lot of people in the hockey world depict analytics as a sort of truth-sayer. They use it as an argumentative crutch where your opinion is subjective and theirs is objective, therefore you are wrong. Like I said, I like most of them and their analytical methodologies, but occasionally it becomes too much.

Reactions: Spotty 2 Hotty

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
f***ing hate some of these analytics guys, it's like at my work when managers bring up some data and solely looks at the numbers without any context/reasoning to those numbers.

You can use data to paint any picture you want and depending who interprets in what way could mean two totally different things.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
It's also annoying when someone demands you ignore PP and PK play when evaluating a night's work. Miro played five minutes of specialty teams minutes. He was in the ice for both Stars PP goals (assisted on one) and was on the ice for parts of the PKs the Stars killed off.
Exactly. Especially after just watching the game that featured Colin Miller trying his hardest to run the point and nothing getting done. And the team as a whole appearing to be Bedard-sweepstakes level without him.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I skimmed that Twitter thread and his thinking behind his models don't make sense to me. I don't think he has any understanding of sports based on the stuff of his I've seen.

Reactions: redbeardtx

redbeardtx

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
f***ing hate some of these analytics guys, it's like at my work when managers bring up some data and solely looks at the numbers without any context/reasoning to those numbers.

You can use data to paint any picture you want and depending who interprets in what way could mean two totally different things.
I mean according to that model, Hanley is better than Heiskanen. Who knew...

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Most data science-types don't understand how to write a cohesive narrative without cherry picking data and trying to be a spinster with numbers.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Most data science-types don't understand how to write a cohesive narrative without cherry picking data and trying to be a spinster with numbers.

The reason we usually don't see when they do it "right" is because it's obscenely boring and technical :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00