2023 Coaching Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think it doesn’t play as big of a role to the new coach as it does to us fans. The roster is already filled with young talent. I think the most important thing to any prospective coach is his say in how the team is shaped going forward and the amount of say he has in implementing his game plan.

It’s called the McDavid effect.
Columbus is in a far better situation than Edmonton pre McDavid but the point still stands.
How they were seen around the league changed the second they won the lottery

Columbus hasn’t been the most wanted city to play for players, that’s just a fact/something that they have to battle against.

What makes them look better in the eyes of the coaches is the talent pool they have build up.

Still what could separate them from every other team looking for coach is that top2 pick.
Every coach would want the chance to coach that lineup and be the one who lifts them up to contending status.
It’s job security

Reactions: CBJx614

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
My biggest concern is that sounds like Jarmo is done with "retooling" and wants to get b ack to the playoffs "now". Thus he may be willing to surrender some of our young talent in exchange for mediocre veterans who will provide some help "now". I can see him going with two new veteran defensemen and another veteran center.
There's no doubt he's in a hurry. At some point in recent days or weeks, he went to the ownership group and informed them he wanted to fire the coach and he needed them to pay him for another year. At that moment, Jarmo's seat got warmer. I'm not saying he's on the hot seat, but it's definitely warmer. Jarmo knows this.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
My biggest concern is that sounds like Jarmo is done with "retooling" and wants to get b ack to the playoffs "now". Thus he may be willing to surrender some of our young talent in exchange for mediocre veterans who will provide some help "now". I can see him going with two new veteran defensemen and another veteran center.

This times 100. Jarmo doesn't seem to be able to be patient enough to get the jackets built the right way. He at least seemed to be on the right track but is now talking stupid about becoming a playoff team next year. I just hope he doesn't give up a young talent for an aging defenseman.

Reactions: koteka

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I wouldn't be opposed to Pascal Vincent. We don't know what he was in charge of, how he influenced the trainings. Also not to forget that PP may have been poor at the start but we were one of the best in the latter part of the season until the injuries. With Bayreuther/Christiansen/Fix-Wolanski etc it's tough to play.

We want to win, right?

This is the guy. In next two months he's gonna have another world championship under his belt.

He's made a nation of 5 million to overtake Canada, Russia and USA in international competition, making players like Marko Anttila more important than McDavids or Ovechkins in the same tournament. He wins against the world's best with second tier material. Our material has dynasty potential, he's the guy to bring it all out in the max.

You have to be Intellectually curious and willing to learn all through life and he points it out here. That's a strategic, developing mind. That wins.

I think I will Stan any team that's smart enough to hire him. There aren't more sure bets than him. Record speaks for itself.

This suggests to me that Kuraly will be more important than Gaudreau. :sarcasm: No kidding, will he be able to apply his system in the NHL? He didn't in the KHL and he had one of the best teams in the league.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Pascal Vincent offers us absolutely nothing. HIs only NHll expereince is being an assistant to the coach we just fired. It is ludicrous to suggest that he is the person to replacehis boss based upon nothing. We should no longer consider ourselves to be OTJT for young assistans with littel to no resume.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Defensive minded, protect 1 goal lead with 2 periods to go, low scoring teams.

*I'm prefacing this based on Tippett's time in AZ, not his EDM days but I don't believe he was well received there either.
I just looked at the goals scored for each of his teams and where they ranked compared to the team before he got there and compared to the rest of the league while he was there. To cherry pick his last few years in the desert for a dysfunctional franchise that offered him a dearth of talent or support is exceedingly disingenuous.

Without getting into all the details I found:

Tippett took over an offense in Dallas that had ranked 15th the year before he got there. During his tenure they ranked anywhere from 5th to 21st.

Tippett took over an offense in Arizona that had ranked 26th the year before he got there. During his tenure they ranked anywhere from 14th to 24th (the last season they ranked a woeful 29th) but I am sure you remember just how insanely disastrous that organization was. If anything, he helped that team punch way above its weight...he and Shane Doan were the only respectable things about that club during that tenure.

In Edmonton, Tippett took over an offense that had ranked 20th in the league before he got there. 20th! With that offensive talent they were 20th. During his tenure they ranked 11th, 7th and 7th.

I think it's safe to say he is not an offensive genius but he doesn't hold them down either. He clearly played to his team's strengths to produce the most successful results he possibly could (structure, something that was lacking under Lars). I also got the impression from reading a few articles he was liked by his players. So a coach who is liked but not running a circus sounds pretty good to me. He might not have a SC (yet) but the guy has had success in this league.

So if we want a guy with experience, check. If we want a guy who has had success, check. If we want a guy players don't detest, check. If we want a guy who expects accountability, check.

Last edited:

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
I don't really know the available coaches styles well enough to make an educated choice about who I'd want, but I generally agree with others who prefer a veteran NHL coach. I'd like to see someone with a track record of developing a young team that can provide a defensive structure and accountability, while not completely stifiling the offense.

Reactions: Byrral

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Pascal Vincent offers us absolutely nothing. HIs only NHll expereince is being an assistant to the coach we just fired. It is ludicrous to suggest that he is the person to replacehis boss based upon nothing. We should no longer consider ourselves to be OTJT for young assistans with littel to no resume.
Someone said (maybe it was in TA comments section): if Jarmo had made a decision about Lars awhile ago and Vincent was a real candidate, then Jarmo should have fired Lars earlier and given Vincent a chance to display his coaching style (and I don't mean his in game coaching but his in practice coaching).

Last edited:

pscbj80

Aug 1, 2020
I am NOT saying I would like to hire Vincent, but he was an assistant coach for the Jets from 2011-16 and then was promoted to head coach of the AHL affiliate for four years before coming over to Columbus as an assistant. I think he will make a good head coach somewhere/someday, but I agree, I would like to find someone who has NHL head coaching experience.

Reactions: majormajor

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
This times 100. Jarmo doesn't seem to be able to be patient enough to get the jackets built the right way. He at least seemed to be on the right track but is now talking stupid about becoming a playoff team next year. I just hope he doesn't give up a young talent for an aging defenseman.
He doesn't have to give up his best youngsters, he can use others (we have a lot of them), trade some veterans. If the youngsters are under 25 (by year of birth):

Goalies - Ivanov (19), Lalonde (19), Greaves (22), Tarasov (24)
Defensemen - Mateychuk (19), Jiricek (20), Hreschuk (20), Ceulemans (20), Makarov (20), Svozil (20), Richard (20), Knazko (21), Bjorqvik Holm (21), Berni (23), Boqvist (23), Christiansen (24).
Forwards - Del Bel Belluz (19), Dumais (19) Dolzhenkov (19), Sillinger (20), Johnson (21), Malatesta (21), Rysavy (21), Boyd (21), McKown (21), Butler (21), Pyyhtia (22), Chinakhov (22), Angle (23), Voronkov (23), Marchenko (23), Foudy (23), Texier (24), Bemstrom (24), Fix-Wolanski (24).

And that's just the ones. Trades have to come, we can't use them all even if we wanted to.

I am NOT saying I would like to hire Vincent, but he was an assistant coach for the Jets from 2011-16 and then was promoted to head coach of the AHL affiliate for four years before coming over to Columbus as an assistant. I think he will make a good head coach somewhere/someday, but I agree, I would like to find someone who has NHL head coaching experience.
It could easily happen that Vincent becomes a good coach and we get someone who doesn't suit the team.

Reactions: CBJx614

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Why do people say stuff like this so confidently? Like not only did you get his resume wrong but you know nearly nothing about what he offers as a coach. Between all the posters on our board we know very little about what assistants have to offer.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I don't think we need to go to the extremes in either direction. Torts was extreme one way, Larsen was the polar opposite. I think we need someone who can be both. Who that is I don't know.
I agree .. and I think the front office will operate under this premise … my guess is the next head coach of the blue jackets will be someone that is great with young players , has a strong record of developing Young talent, has the ability to be a hard ass, with great communication skills. In my opinion , we won’t swing back 180 degrees to a journeyman, retread, but rather someone with a great reputation, that comes from a strong culture. Someone in the mold of Mike Sullivan… or Jim Montgomery . I do wonder if Nate Leahman is a possibility, he’s actually an Ohio Guy , has a long track record of running a program, developing young talent . He’s won national championships, guided the US team Junior team to gold medal .

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Someone said (maybe it was in TA comments section): if Jarmo had made a decision about Lars awhile ago and Vincent was a real candidate, then Jarmo should have fired Lars earlier and given Vincent a chance to display his coaching style (and I don't mean his in game coaching but his in practice coaching).
This crossed my mind .. one would think Jarmo had meetings with Larsen to review performance, if there were practice issues , seems like that should have been addresses .. at the same point , season was lost .. maybe they felt giving Vincent a shot would have ruined draft position , and the playoffs were out of reach .. Im sure there is much more to this Larsen situation , and out of respect they won’t discuss . In hindsight, Larsen's personal situation, where Vincent took over , and immediately put Laine at center , makes you wonder now ….

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
You are quite a bit behind trying to put your own philosophies and practice habits in place well into a season. Heck even Torts taking over Richards had the same issues not having his own training camp and chance to put his own expectations in place. Would put a guy looking to get an NHL job in a rough spot. Plus if he won more games we'd hate him anyway :laugh:

Reactions: VT and GoJackets1

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
The more I think about this, the more of a mystery that Pascal Vincent is. His media face time has been non-existent. I'm sure he did the post game stuff when Larsen was away but I don't recall any interviews or information about him since shortly after he was hired. He's kind of an enigma to me.

Maybe he is the right guy but we know very little about him. I do wonder if they noticed a difference when he ran things while Larsen was away. He did coach for about a week during the late season stretch where we got too many points to tank properly.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
You are quite a bit behind trying to put your own philosophies and practice habits in place well into a season. Heck even Torts taking over Richards had the same issues not having his own training camp and chance to put his own expectations in place. Would put a guy looking to get an NHL job in a rough spot. Plus if he won more games we'd hate him anyway :laugh:
I thought they would give Lars the opportunity to start the season with a healthy squad and make a change if it didn't go well. You bring up a good point about having your own training camp to set expectations. That makes this situation much better than a mid season change.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
This crossed my mind .. one would think Jarmo had meetings with Larsen to review performance, if there were practice issues , seems like that should have been addresses .. at the same point , season was lost .. maybe they felt giving Vincent a shot would have ruined draft position , and the playoffs were out of reach .. Im sure there is much more to this Larsen situation , and out of respect they won’t discuss . In hindsight, Larsen's personal situation, where Vincent took over , and immediately put Laine at center , makes you wonder now ….
While not against the concept of NCAA coaches making the jump to the NHL, I think right now the CBJ need a coach with NHL experience.

In addition, I don't know much about Lehman but I think there are NCAA coaches that have sustained higher NCAA success for a longer period of time I'd be more excited about.

Rand Pecknold at QU has consistently won and he does it despite the perceived talent gap between his team and other programs (based on number of NHL drafted prospects on the roster). No its not just because he just won an NCAA Championship, the guy's track record is pretty damn good.

I think Steve Rohlik has done an outstanding job at OSU over the last seven years at a school that hardly prioritizes its hockey program compared to football and basketball and plays in a conference with such historic hockey programs.

Last edited:
Reactions: cslebn

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I want a good communicator with clear objectives. I don’t need specifically a “hard-ass” or “players’ friend”. I don’t need a coach who’s a strict adherent to some system or other. A veteran coach is more likely to have already learned how best to frame and communicate their expectations, but that doesn’t preclude a noob.

I really just want someone who is able to make clear their intentions and expectations to players collectively and individually.

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
I want a good communicator with clear objectives. I don’t need specifically a “hard-ass” or “players’ friend”. I don’t need a coach who’s a strict adherent to some system or other. A veteran coach is more likely to have already learned how best to frame and communicate their expectations, but that doesn’t preclude a noob.

I really just want someone who is able to make clear their intentions and expectations to players collectively and individually.
Well said. I couldn’t agree more !

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Why shouldn’t the goal be playoffs?
& how would it destroy the future?

- The expectation after the draft should be that the core has been drafted.
- Internal growth, lot of the high end to elite prospects should start making a real impact
- new coach.

Anyways they need to find a legit replacement for Gavrikov and if they do that WC battle should be the goal.
But it doesn’t mean they have to go all in for it, rather a realistic expectation.

The competition the next 3-4 is going to come from Devils/Carolina/Rangers.
Flyers are a mess, Pens& Was are at the end of their runs, NYI has very limited potential for improvement

& relax, none of Johnson, Jiricek, Svozil, top4 pick, Marchenko are getting traded for win now move.

They are ready for phase 2 and it starts by changing coaches and going from draft 1st approach to adding veteran players via the market

Last edited:

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Portzline's column from yesterday makes it clear that Lars was doomed long before the Pens game. The article also seems to make clear that they want a coach who can impose structure and accountabiity to a young team. So it sounds like they are looking for a Torts type but with offensive flair. And someone who will provide results sooner than later.
I highly doubt theyre looking for another Torts. Sure they could want someone tougher, but there is very wide range of toughness between Torts and Larsen. Natural next step is to find someone in between the two.

Reactions: KJ Dangler

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Go old school tough guy. Bring in Mike Keenan :).
trouble.gif

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I generally try to avoid Conspiracy Theory/Circumstantial Evidence/THERE MUST BE MORE lines of thinking, but I have to admit this one seems compelling. (Which is all the more reason for me to not dive into it...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad