Prospect Info: 2023 CHL Memorial Cup: Quebec Remparts beat Seattle Thunderbirds 5-0

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
again just sounds like nonsense to me. I think you are 100% wrong on the comment about no one willing to bet their house on Jeff Smith, Poirier, etc.. the later rounds are the regional scouts time to shine, so of course those guys will push for the player they know because you going to have one scout pushing for Smith because that's who he knows, one scout pushing for Poirier cause that's who he knows, and one scout pushing for Hoeff cause that's who he knows. It's now like the scout that just scouts the Q, will push for a kid from the DEL cause he's not going to have seen him.

So unless you are talking about lesser scouted places like say Norway, that would make sense in your example if they didn't get to see said prospect.

Those 3 guys don't make the call. And won't make a fuss if the team decide to go with Kirean Rushcheinski in memoriam instead.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Those 3 guys don't make the call. And won't make a fuss if the team decide to go with Kirean Rushcheinski in memoriam instead.

So again this goes back to what I said at the start, it depends on who the GM is, we know that some GM's are more involved in scouting and others like Bob Gainey not so much. Gainey would not be the one making the call. It would be the regional scouts pushing for their player, then the crossover scouts getting involved and then you have your Lapointe, Boborv's making the final call with the later round picks. They are going to trust their scouts. Will they go with someone they know over someone they don't, that makes a lot of sense but with so many scouts, video scouting being so easy as Instat makes is so easy to video scout but it's expensive.

As for Rushcheinski that's just silly since it's only been done 1 time in our entire history, so you are talking an extremely rare one off.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
So again this goes back to what I said at the start, it depends on who the GM is, we know that some GM's are more involved in scouting and others like Bob Gainey not so much. Gainey would not be the one making the call. It would be the regional scouts pushing for their player, then the crossover scouts getting involved and then you have your Lapointe, Boborv's making the final call with the later round picks. They are going to trust their scouts. Will they go with someone they know over someone they don't, that makes a lot of sense but with so many scouts, video scouting being so easy as Instat makes is so easy to video scout but it's expensive.

As for Rushcheinski that's just silly since it's only been done 1 time in our entire history, so you are talking an extremely rare one off.

It's not silly and just one example, no one resigned from their scouting position because of that pick, it could have been someone son or Smith or Poirier or Hoeff. No one is going to get overly mad if their guy is passed over. Mostly because they don't really have some undeniable evidences that their guy IS the next great thing to come out of the 7th round, they can't even garantee their guy would end up doing better than Rushcheinski (yeah it happen).

Last edited:

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Flashback from the past. I was curious about Nick Suzuki path to the memorial cup in 2019 and I just looked at the teams and I just realised we now have at least one player from each team participating.

1. Halifax : Justin Barron
2. Rouyn-Noranda: Rafael Harvey-Pinard and Joel Teasdale
3. Guelph : Nick Suzuki
sidenote : Cameron Hillis (not a habs anymore but still)
4. Prince-Albert: Kaiden Guhle
sidenote : Cole Fonstad (not a habs anymore but still)

I thought it was interesting to share.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Now knowing where the draft eligible from Seattle went, paired with those already drafted, man were they loaded.

Amazing achievement by Remparts to crush them in the final

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Now knowing where the draft eligible from Seattle went, paired with those already drafted, man were they loaded.

Amazing achievement by Remparts to crush them in the final

The Q is underrated. It wasn’t a great year for the draft but I still think a lot of their players are passed over because of the league they play in.

As an example, I don’t even remember noticing Myatovic.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
The Q is underrated. It wasn’t a great year for the draft but I still think a lot of their players are passed over because of the league they play in.
I agree with you. But both statement can be true: Q is underrated and Seattle was one of the most loaded junior we've seen in a while

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

this is more of what I mean, would you rather see the Q win Memorial Cups or have a much better list then the one above? I have no clue what the problem is, but it's what NHL scouts have been showing for years, perhaps and this is without knowing anything about their programs but maybe they need some fresh ideas.

I just don't want any posters to think I dislike the Q, I just tend to agree with the NHL scouts here that the OHL and WHL are better. But I could care less about the Memorial Cup so I only look at it from an NHL standpoint.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad