2023 ATD Forward Multi-Positionality Thread

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Okay, let's talk about this:

To keep to the spirit of ATD, we'll keep limit the discussion to players already drafted. We can update as players come off the board-

Mario Lemieux- would have been the best LW of all-time if his career had played out that way- but has rightfully never been used in any other capacity other than C. He HAS played LW; he CAN play LW... but why wouldn't you want his talent in-the-middle?!
Mark Messier- HAS played LW- no reason he couldn't play LW... and maybe one day he will- but he's so impactful at center-ice that he hasn't been used anywhere else, to my knowledge.
Red Kelly- In an ATD paradigm, I suppose he could get spot-starts at C for match-up purposes, if someone drafts oft-injured Cs, but he really doesn't seem to have any ATD value at all except as a D.
Alexander Ovechkin- CAN play RW- don't think he should be dinged even a little bit if playing RW... but then, why would you? Again, I guess if a team has a rash of starboard-side injuries, he could be pressed into service there... but it would require a perfect storm of time-loss to visualize this, in an ATD setting.
Cyclone Taylor- default position had been C... but use at D has shifted to an apparent "settled-law" matter.
Dit Clapper- when he was an RW, he was competing for post-season AS slots with lion-in-winter Cook & ascending Charlie Conacher. Tough crowd. Still, as a RH puck-moving D, he's pretty much always been used as a D. Could see him being used situationally as RW... but it seems that ATD orthodoxy frowns on having players play more than one role during an "in-game" context. [Most memorable example- @Hawkey Town 18 using Harvey bilaterally on a previous ATD Roster. It looked imaginative to me- but the idea didn't go the distance.]
Eddie Gerard- no recollection of his ever being used anywhere other than D (although LW accompanies his selection-panel).
Sid Abel- Mostly used as LW- although has been used successfully as a C.
Doug Bentley- always used as an LW. Seek professional help if you're tempted to use him at C.
Alex Delvecchio- see above.
Hooley Smith- mostly used as RW. As a RH-shot, I can see occasional value with him taking draws where RH-low is advantageous. Use at C would seem to be something that could be done on an emergency-basis. [RW/c]
Ebbie Goodfellow- q.v.: D. Bentley, Delvecchio. {D/c]
Henrik Zetterberg- see above. [LW/c]
Alexander Maltsev- see Hooley Smith, except that he's a LH-shot [RW/c]
Babe Siebert- who uses him anywhere other than LD? [D/lw]
Reg Noble-leaked into position 60 in the HoH top Wingers project- also listed as C/D... but I have no memory of him being used anywhere other than LW.

This takes us through Round 10 this year- and (with your permission) I'll humbly ask that the discussion be limited to the above examples, for starters- and then we can proceed after these individuals are discussed.

I think the above categorizations are relatively free from controversy... but part of the reason I'm posting these is that if someone believes I'm misapprehending- here's the place to add your perspectives.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
I believe Noble has been lined up at D in the ATD before. His peak D level is arguably as good as his peak LW level, but he played more at forward and has a rarer skill set at forward.

Kelly has to be D in the ATD, of course. I used him at C on the penalty kill in the past while keeping him at D the rest of the time.

I think Abel or Delvecchio could be deployed at C alongside a puck dominant RW like Howe, Jagr or Lafleur. You don’t want a puck dominant C there, and hybrid wing/centre types can be good fits.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Lemieux - C

Messier - C/LW - but LW lose his ability to physically dominate his opposing center right off the faceoff, which is a big part of what makes him great

Kelly - D/C, but you'd be crazy to use him at C in the ATD

Ovechkin - LW. I mean, he can play RW, but he wasn't exactly at his best under Adam Oates, right? Oates was the guy obsessed with every player playing his proper side. (I remember as he was the same way as an assistant coach in NJ)

Cyclone Taylor - call him a C or C/D, but I doubt I'm the only one who considers the D version of Taylor to be no better than someone like Harry Cameron or George Boucher. One ATD winner (with a lot of other strengths, including the biggest steal in ATD history after McDavid's finish to 2022-23 was given credit) doesn't change that for me.

Dit Clapper - D/RW - but again, why use him at RW? I could see him being used as a big body net guy on the PP

Eddie Gerard - D/LW - like Kelly and Clapper, he was best at D and D is the more prized position in the ATD, so I can't see anyone using him at LW

Sid Abel - C/LW - I give him almost full credit at LW

Doug Bentley - LW/C - full credit at both positions, perhaps a better playmaker at C and goal scorer at LW

Alex Delvecchio - C/LW - I give him almost full credit at LW, maybe a bit less than Abel

Hooley Smith - C/RW, but was much better at C, can play RW but loses something there at both ends of the ice

Ebbie Goodfellow - D/C, but see Kelly, Clapper, and Gerard

Henrik Zetterberg - C/LW - I give him almost full credit at LW

Alexander Maltsev - C/RW - I give him full credit at both positions

Babe Siebert - D/LW - See Kelly, Clapper, Gerard, and Goodfellow

Reg Noble - LW/D - I give him full props at LW, his ability at D is confusing to me. This is the only one you listed I'm not sure of - I'd be open to a detailed argument by his owner if his owner wanted to use him at D.

Willing to explain my reasoning further if questioned.

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
Can someone provide a POV on Nedomansky? I read as much as I could and didn't get a feel for when he was a C vs RW.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Can someone provide a POV on Nedomansky? I read as much as I could and didn't get a feel for when he was a C vs RW.
Try looking in this thread from the top players by position projects:

Edit: from what I remember Nedomansky was determined to count for the Centers list as that’s what he mostly played. I wanna say that domestically he only played C and just played RW sometimes internationally. I’m sure you can find more detail in the thread though.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

Try looking in this thread from the top players by position projects:

Edit: from what I remember Nedomansky was determined to count for the Centers list as that’s what he mostly played. I wanna say that domestically he only played C and just played RW sometimes internationally. I’m sure you can find more detail in the thread though.

V on Nedomansky? I read as much as I could and didn't get a feel for when he was a C vs RW.

I remember during the HOH projects being shocked at how little RW Nedomansky played. It was something like 1 or 2 tournaments, not much more RW than Mario Lemieux played. Some of the European posters involved in that discussion still post on HOH.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I remember during the HOH projects being shocked at how little RW Nedomansky played. It was something like 1 or 2 tournaments, not much more RW than Mario Lemieux played. Some of the European posters involved in that discussion still post on HOH.
I don't remember whether someone dug really deep into that, but it became quite clear that internationally he played almost always center.

There is still the odd source online that lists Nedo as a RW and not even C/RW (like hockey-reference.com), but I don't know what that is based on (an error?). Did he play RW with any sort of regularity either in Slovan Bratislava (doubt it) and/or any of his NHL/WHA teams? I don't have the definitive answer unfortunately.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Thanks for the contributions, everyone- I should imagine this ongoing discussion would be helpful to the less-experienced. Let's move on to the next sixteen names:

Jere Lehtinen- historically given full credit at both Wings. It seems like the Selke podium-finishes came at RW-- but some Playoff Bona-Fides came at LW. I have no problem considering him effective at either. Does anyone dissent?
Brent Burns- RD that can be pressed into spear-carrier emergency service at RW if the flu-bug decimates your Forward corps, I guess.
Didier Pitre- see the Burns comment, but reverse the positions.
Dany Heatley- also historically given full credit at either Wing. Never was motivated enough to be skeptical about the claim. Always had a "whatever" attitude when it came to this guy.
Rod Brind'Amour- now, I've watched Rod Brind'Amour- more than a little bit. My warm-ish take on him was "not as good a C as you think, but a better LW than you think." That's not to say that you don't lose anything by putting him at LW... AND Center is his more natural position... but he could be spot-started in a bottom-six role at LW and not have it feel like an emergency/desperation move.
Mickey MacKay- listed as C/RW this year. Enough original research has gone into his use that RW deployment appears a settled issue. Any regular use at LW would need more documentation, I think. His suitability for emergency-service at LW is okay, I guess.
Claude Giroux- played most often at C, received All-Star consideration as as LW... but is now approaching a couple of seasons at RW. Now, I'd have no trouble with someone saying that one would have to take a little off-the-top for using him as a regular RW. However, I'd say he could be pressed into RW service and have him get more credit than one would typically give an emergency-fix.
Ryan Kesler- listed as C/RW. Always used at RW. Does he deserve full-credit there?!
Don Marshall- listed as LW/C. See Doug Bentley comment in post #1.
Vaclav Nedomanský- using him as a regular RW seems to have gone the way of trying to use John Madden as a regular LW.
Neil Colville- always used as a C until this year. Career was extended using 30s/40s-era method of switching him over to D after he turned 30. His All-Star consideration at D was (for the full-seasons immediately after WW II) 8/4/7.
Don Marcotte- listed as F, used as LW this year- appears to deserve full marks at LW. How much would be whittled from this man if used elsewhere?!
Vincent Damphousse- C/LW. Appears to be in line for some nerfing for use at LW. Question is- how much?
Nick Metz- LW/C. Used at LW. Guess he could take PK-draws as a Forward. Is there any evidence that he'd be good at this?
Doug Mohns- LW/D. Can't imagine anyone wanting to give him any part of D-pairing minutes. Guess he's okay for an emergency D.
Ed Litzenberger- listed as 'W' but primary is RW. What is his 'W' case?

This grouping is, as a set, a little more uncertain (to me) than the last group... so let's talk(!)

Last edited:

Elvis P

U aint nothin but a hound dog cryin all the time
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
... Cyclone Taylor - call him a C or C/D, but I doubt I'm the only one who considers the D version of Taylor to be no better than someone like Harry Cameron or George Boucher. One ATD winner (with a lot of other strengths, including the biggest steal in ATD history after McDavid's finish to 2022-23 was given credit) doesn't change that for me. ...

In ATD 2014 HT18 drafted Mario with the 8th pick. I consider that the biggest steal since ATD 2014.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Damphousse was a LW for like 7-8 seasons and had most of his best offensive seasons there. I wouldn't subtract anything from someone playing him there. In particular he was a strong playmaking winger which is somewhat unusual. Then again I always found the idea that he was really good defensively at center a bit of a fable but I did watch him less in his SJS days. To me he's interchangeably a playmaking LW/C.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Thanks for the contributions, everyone- I should imagine this ongoing discussion would be helpful to the less-experienced. Let's move on to the next sixteen names:

Jere Lehtinen- historically given full credit at both Wings. It seems like the Selke podium-finishes came at RW-- but some Playoff Bona-Fides came at LW. I have no problem considering him effective at either. Does anyone dissent?
Brent Burns- RD that can be pressed into spear-carrier emergency service at RW if the flu-bug decimates your Forward corps, I guess.
Didier Pitre- see the Burns comment, but reverse the positions.
Dany Heatley- also historically given full credit at either Wing. Never was motivated enough to be skeptical about the claim. Always had a "whatever" attitude when it came to this guy.
Rod Brind'Amour- now, I've watched Rod Brind'Amour- more than a little bit. My warm-ish take on him was "not as good a C as you think, but a better LW than you think." That's not to say that you don't lose anything by putting him at LW... AND Center is his more natural position... but he could be spot-started in a bottom-six role at LW and not have it feel like an emergency/desperation move.
Mickey MacKay- listed as C/RW this year. Enough original research has gone into his use that RW deployment appears a settled issue. Any regular use at LW would need more documentation, I think. His suitability for emergency-service at LW is okay, I guess.
Claude Giroux- played most often at C, received All-Star consideration as as LW... but is now approaching a couple of seasons at RW. Now, I'd have no trouble with someone saying that one would have to take a little off-the-top for using him as a regular RW. However, I'd say he could be pressed into RW service and have him get more credit than one would typically give an emergency-fix.
Ryan Kesler- listed as C/RW. Always used at RW. Does he deserve full-credit there?!
Don Marshall- listed as LW/C. See Doug Bentley comment in post #1.
Vaclav Nedomanský- using him as a regular RW seems to have gone the way of trying to use John Madden as a regular LW.
Neil Colville- always used as a C until this year. Career was extended using 30s/40s-era method of switching him over to D after he turned 30. His All-Star consideration at D was (for the full-seasons immediately after WW II) 8/4/7.
Don Marcotte- listed as F, used as LW this year- appears to deserve full marks at LW. How much would be whittled from this man if used elsewhere?!
Vincent Damphousse- C/LW. Appears to be in line for some nerfing for use at LW. Question is- how much?
Nick Metz- LW/C. Used at LW. Guess he could take PK-draws as a Forward. Is there any evidence that he'd be good at this?
Doug Mohns- LW/D. Can't imagine anyone wanting to give him any part of D-pairing minutes. Guess he's okay for an emergency D.
Ed Litzenberger- listed as 'W' but primary is RW. What is his 'W' case?

This grouping is, as a set, a little more uncertain (to me) than the last group... so let's talk(!)

Lehtinen - agree with you, LW/RW or W
Burns - agree with you, D or D/RW, but just use him at D
Pitre - agree with you - RW/D, but just use him at RW
Heatley - agree with you - RW/LW. He was RW in Atlanta and LW in Ottawa
Brind'amour - I don't think he loses much offense at LW, but he loses most of his defense (and of course faceoffs at LW), and nobody is drafting him for his offense.
MacKay - C/RW, like you said
Giroux - I still see him as C/LW. But last few years as a RW - I dunno. Definitely not his best years at RW. This is the one I don't really know about.
Kesler - Probably doesn't deserve full credit at RW, but still, nobody drafts Kesler for even strength, do they? Draft him to be your top PK center, who can be stuck at 4th line RW next to a better center.
Marshall - I'm pretty sure in real life he played LW, but took faceoffs on the PK, which is how he's generally used in the ATD
Nedomansky - agree, he's mostly a C
Colville - I think he's a legit C/D, though definitely better at C. I did use him on the point of the PP once. Is IE using him at D at even strength but top PK C? That's pretty clever.
Don Marcotte - I've always seen him at F, but haven't looked into it much. LW was his most common position I think.
Damphousse - One of two I disagree with. During the HOH Top players by position projects, fans of his teams did a pretty good job showing he played LW slightly more than C. I would even call him LW/C.
Metz - See Kesler and Marshall. WIngs at even strength who take faceoffs on the PP
Mohns - the other one of two I disagree with. He got serious awards recognition at both positions. I think he's a legit LW/D or D/LW. Usually used as a D in bigger drafts, makes more sense as a LW in smaller drafts. One of the more interesting things about doing these smaller drafts is that guys who were usually used as D before are being used at wing, as teams run out of spots on D to put them.
Litzenberger - As far as I know, he's a RW with zero case for a W.

In ATD 2014 HT18 drafted Mario with the 8th pick. I consider that the biggest steal since ATD 2014.

In one sense you're right. That was ridiculous, and I'm pretty sure HT went to the finals that year.

But drafting Mario 4 spots too late isn't draft breaking like drafting McDavid multiple rounds too late.

Last edited:

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
I would have listed Litzenberger as RW/C if I drafted him. His only post-season all-star was at centre so you have to include the C on there. Hockey-reference actually lists him at more C than RW, but pappyline said Litzenberger was mostly a RW so I could go with that.

I believe the quotes about him playing both wings are from when he was a depth forward in Toronto. So he did play a little LW at the end of his career but I don’t think it’s enough to call him a W.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Heatley - yeah he was a RW in Atlanta and was shifted to LW in Ottawa. Ottawa had Alfredsson at RW already and Spezza was RHS so the thought was Heatley on his LW would work better. Heatley was weirdly voted first team RW in 2006-07, but even though he spent most of the season on separate line from Alfredsson, he was still playing LW.

Didn’t Heatley move back to RW in San Jose? I remember hearing that when he moved there but I don’t know how it actually played out.

Don Marcotte was always a primary LW as far as I know, but Don Cherry moved him around the lineup quite a bit and he could play any forward position. Cherry had the philosophy that any of his lines should be able to play against anyone, rather than creating a designated checking line. So if one of his lines had a tough matchup and needed some help defensively, he would add Marcotte to that line.

I don’t think I would draft him to play C or RW, but he could be used as an injury replacement or have a bit more in game flexibility than the average LW.

Elvis P

U aint nothin but a hound dog cryin all the time
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
... In one sense you're right. That was ridiculous, and I'm pretty sure HT went to the finals that year. But drafting Mario 4 spots too late isn't draft breaking like drafting McDavid multiple rounds too late.
Correct. HT18 went to his first finals and lost in 2014. I think McDavid or Crosby may go 5th - 11th someday, although dmen are easier to build around.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Damphousse - One of two I disagree with. During the HOH Top players by position projects, fans of his teams did a pretty good job showing he played LW slightly more than C. I would even call him LW/C.
Metz - See Kesler and Marshall. WIngs at even strength who take faceoffs on the PP
Mohns - the other one of two I disagree with. He got serious awards recognition at both positions. I think he's a legit LW/D or D/LW. Usually used as a D in bigger drafts, makes more sense as a LW in smaller drafts. One of the more interesting things about doing these smaller drafts is that guys who were usually used as D before are being used at wing, as teams run out of spots on D to put them.
I stand corrected on Damphousse. Ultimately, acquisition of more refined information is the whole reason the thread was created.

Mohns, however...

My first thought was that it would be more accurate to say that Mohns got trivial awards recognition at both positions. His top-10 Hart finish in 1961-62 owes its listing to the one vote he received (out of the 300+ who submitted ballots). All right, what then to make of the Mohns #5 Norris finish in 1956-57? Seventeen of the 324 voters pegged him as the top Defenseman that year. THAT's more than trivial, right?!

Well... funny thing about that- if we go to the NHL web-site for the 56-57 season, pull up the skaters, narrow the search to Defensemen, then sort by "most assists," you know who's name doesn't come up? Mohns.

Now, this alone doesn't prove anything. Maybe it's unfair to say that the NHL web-site can botch position information as frequently as H-R, but (if one uses it enough) one can discover that they're perfectly capable of botching position information, all the same. So did they botch it here?

If considered as a Defenseman, his 31 assists that year would have been third place to Harvey & Bill Gadsby- and six ahead of 4th place Red Kelly. Now, the idea that Mohns was distributing from the blue line in a manner slightly less effectively than Gadsby- and measurably better than Red Kelly that year(?!) [aside- Boston's leading goal-scorers that year were: [undrafted], Stasiuk, [undrafted], [undrafted], [undrafted], Toppazzini.] Color me skeptical.

This scoring pattern has the feel of someone who was (at the minimum) performing "swing-duty" between Wing and Defense.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Stamkos has an argument as an F today. Often plays LW on a line with Kucherov and Undrafted, and RW on a line with Undrafted and Undrafted. Hit 100 points as predominantly a winger and has played the majority of time there for 5 seasons now.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Lehtinen - agree with you, LW/RW or W
Burns - agree with you, D or D/RW, but just use him at D
Pitre - agree with you - RW/D, but just use him at RW
Heatley - agree with you - RW/LW. He was RW in Atlanta and LW in Ottawa
Brind'amour - I don't think he loses much offense at LW, but he loses most of his defense (and of course faceoffs at LW), and nobody is drafting him for his offense.
MacKay - C/RW, like you said
Giroux - I still see him as C/LW. But last few years as a RW - I dunno. Definitely not his best years at RW. This is the one I don't really know about.
Kesler - Probably doesn't deserve full credit at RW, but still, nobody drafts Kesler for even strength, do they? Draft him to be your top PK center, who can be stuck at 4th line RW next to a better center.
Marshall - I'm pretty sure in real life he played LW, but took faceoffs on the PK, which is how he's generally used in the ATD
Nedomansky - agree, he's mostly a C
Colville - I think he's a legit C/D, though definitely better at C. I did use him on the point of the PP once. Is IE using him at D at even strength but top PK C? That's pretty clever.
Don Marcotte - I've always seen him at F, but haven't looked into it much. LW was his most common position I think.
Litzenberger - As far as I know, he's a RW with zero case for a W.

In one sense you're right. That was ridiculous, and I'm pretty sure HT went to the finals that year.

But drafting Mario 4 spots too late isn't draft breaking like drafting McDavid multiple rounds too late.

On Colville = bingo.

Considering he has 4+ years at D, and legit AS consideration, I feel comfortable having Colville next to Wilson on the 3rd pairing.

He will have pretty limited minutes at ES as the 6, but I thought a cool, real life maneuver would be using Colville as a top PK F, the way Toe Blake (Sheiks coach here) used Serge Savard as a F on the kill in the late 60's. It's a nice way to keep him involved in the game, utilizing his full talents, and allowing us to pick up an extra C for the roster, or run 7 D, knowing we have 3 men on the blue line (Gerard, Siebert, Colville) capable of taking shifts at F, if the need should arise to move parts, something a coach like Blake should enjoy.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I stand corrected on Damphousse. Ultimately, acquisition of more refined information is the whole reason the thread was created.

Mohns, however...

My first thought was that it would be more accurate to say that Mohns got trivial awards recognition at both positions. His top-10 Hart finish in 1961-62 owes its listing to the one vote he received (out of the 300+ who submitted ballots). All right, what then to make of the Mohns #5 Norris finish in 1956-57? Seventeen of the 324 voters pegged him as the top Defenseman that year. THAT's more than trivial, right?!

Well... funny thing about that- if we go to the NHL web-site for the 56-57 season, pull up the skaters, narrow the search to Defensemen, then sort by "most assists," you know who's name doesn't come up? Mohns.

Now, this alone doesn't prove anything. Maybe it's unfair to say that the NHL web-site can botch position information as frequently as H-R, but (if one uses it enough) one can discover that they're perfectly capable of botching position information, all the same. So did they botch it here?

If considered as a Defenseman, his 31 assists that year would have been third place to Harvey & Bill Gadsby- and six ahead of 4th place Red Kelly. Now, the idea that Mohns was distributing from the blue line in a manner slightly less effectively than Gadsby- and measurably better than Red Kelly that year(?!) [aside- Boston's leading goal-scorers that year were: undrafted, undrafted, undrafted, undrafted, undrafted, Toppazzini.] Color me skeptical.

This scoring pattern has the feel of someone who was (at the minimum) performing "swing-duty" between Wing and Defense.

I'm sorry, but with a Norris record of:

56-57: 5th
59-60: 8th
60-61: 10th
61-62: 5th
62-63: 11th
63-64: 10th
69-70: 8th

Mohns was among the best DEFENSEMEN available at the time he was drafted.

And yes, I'm aware that some of those years, he only got a few votes.

Last edited:
Reactions: rmartin65

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Mohns was incredible by the eye-test. And he was tough and a great skater, visually dominant player.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Continuing from previous...

Ken Randall: RW/D- appears to have started career at RW, shifted over to D, played longer at D, and seems routinely deployed as a D iun ATD.
Bernie Morris RW/C, another in a lengthening list of Forwards capable of playing Center but exclusively used a a Winger in ATD. Seems to have some passable to plausible "fill-in" credentials a LW, if injury bug bites.
Phil Watson C/RW- lone post-season All-Star berth was at Center- and (at that) it was a WW II-depleted year. Seems Assist-oriented, feels like he should take a nick for playing RW. Question is- how much?!
Ilya Kovalchuk W- bi-laterality as a Winger seems to be a manifestly-settled matter.
Eddie Oatman- RW/D- recent usage seems to be as bottom-6 RW or multi-purpose spare.
Blair Russel- C/RW- can't see a viable ATD-use at C. Latest bio has listing as 'F.' This might be one of those players so old that you can't disprove him playing any Forward position.
Matthew Tkachuk: RW building a case at LW. Wouldn't strenuously argue use at either. Are we agreed?
Vic Stasiuk W- all right at either Wing, I'd say.
Patrick Sharp F- mis-cast and mis-used at Center by Philadelphia (and this would go double for ATD use)- and resultantly stolen by the BlackHawks. I'd say- LW well, RW creditably, C- emergency-basis.
Bob Bourne F- C/LW/RW in real-life (it would appear), but LW/RW/C in ATD-life (with some face-off cred for PK).
Jack Darragh: listed as RW this year, but (in mirror-image to Bourne) seems to have ATD use as- RW well, LW creditably, C emergency.
Bobby Rowe- listed as RW/D but seems more of a 'D/RW," based on readings. Hard to see ATD-use on D except as bench-depth-emergency.
Ernie Russell- called RW/C, looks like more of a C/RW. Probably worth whatever hit he takes to keep using him at RW.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
In The Globe & Mail (from his ATD BIO):
...in Toronto's last five games, Litzenberger has been used at right wing on some lines and left wing on others. Saturday night against Boston he scored Toronto's first goal, assisted on the fourth and scored on the fifth. Last night in Detroit he scored again and assisted on two more. In both games he showed the puck control that once made him on of the league's more feared young gentlemen inside and opposing blueline, worked the corners as if he liked it, and generall qualified as one of the stars of the game

"He can play either wing and do a good job," Imlach said. "In addition he's the best center I have for taking face-offs and getting the puck. When you're talking about a team that also has Red Kelly, that's pretty high praise, eh? You watch when there's a faceoff and Litz is out there, the others let him take it. They know he can get the puck out better than anybody."
Litz had been the NHL's 2nd team all-star center in 1957, had centered Hull for 100+ games, had centered Howe a while, went to win multiple cups in Toronto used in all three positions by Imlach, has quotes about shadowing right winger Bathgate (from the LW position).

No less than five references in his bio alone to his positional vesatility; a solid 12th forward who has been praised contributing from multiple positions on championship teams.

Litzenberger, RW/C with praised spot duty at LW.

(Lehtinen is a RW with praised spot LW duty; neither a true dual 'W'; few players are 'W', Kovy coming to mind, for his repeated offense on both sides.)

Last edited:

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
According to the summaries I have, Blair Russell played

1900- All games were just listed as "forward"

1901- Most listed as forward, 1 game as LW (no other positions listed)

1902- 1 game LW, 1 game center (looks like Bowie was out, so they moved the usual center to rover, and Russell filled that spot), the rest at forward (no other positions listed)

1903- 2 games LW, 1 game RW, 5 games wing, the rest at forward (no other positions listed)

1904- 2 games LW, 3 games wing, the rest at forward (no other positions listed)

1905- 5 games LW, 1 game wing, rest at forward (no other positions listed)

1906- 4 games LW (no other positions listed)

1907- 6 games LW, 1 game RW, 2 games wing, the rest at forward (no other positions listed)

1908- 6 games LW (no other positions listed)

I was going pretty fast through my sheets, so I could have missed something, but it looks like - for the games that the summaries actually listed all the positions- Blair Russell was a LW for 25 games, RW for 2 games, and Center for 1 game. I think 89% at one position is a pretty good indicator for where Russell played (though, to be fair, I guess he could have been playing elsewhere for the other games, but that would be quite the coincidence).

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,430.00