Prospect Info: 2023 6th Rd Selection - #185 OA - D, Noah Chadwick [Lethbridge Hurricanes, WHL; 6’4, 187 lbs]

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
How is the skating?

giphy.gif

Reactions: Magic Man

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Big d-men are always intriguing
Rasanen, Gordeev, Greenway, Middleton, Mattinen, Nielsen, Desrocher... all of the 6'4"+ dmen we've drafted in the past 10 years have amounted to a grand total of 3 NHL games (all for Colorado via Middleton).

They're intriguing to look at, but I just feel so personally scorned :laugh:

I hope Chadwick can get his skating smoothed out and quickened

Last edited:

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Rasanen, Gordeev, Greenway, Middleton, Mattinen, Nielsen, Desrocher... all of the 6'4"+ dmen we've drafted in the past 10 years have amounted to a grand total of 3 NHL games (all for Colorado via Middleton).

still salty about stralman played us :laugh:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
His skating is rough, offensive upside is low, and we don't have much control over him.

I don't think he is worth a pick, and I wouldn't be shocked if his rights lapse in two years.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Gotta remember the referendum is never on the player type but the choice of players and the quality of the scouting and development surrounding them.

If you walked away from a typical 7 player draft class with: a smart center, a small skilled forward, 1 big defenseman, 1 puck mover, a goalie and 2 x-factor whatever project you want you’ve pretty much got all your bases covered from a pipeline POV all developing in parallel towards different job openings.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Muzzin was a 5th round pick.. development potential

To be fair, Muzzin also missed a ton of time with injury and didn't sign with the team that drafted him because he wasn't good enough after 2 years of control.

That is the tough thing with these CHL defensemen with major issues. You only get them for two years, when they usually need twice that before they are seriously ready for pro hockey.

Reactions: uncleben

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

I mean, the highest drafted guy on that list was a 59th OA pick. Looking at smaller D we've drafted in that same range:

Tom Nilsson, Dennis Robertson, Jesper Lindgren, Hollowell, Loponen, Koster, Kokkonen, Fusco, Rindell, Max Everson, etc. Pretty crappy list as well frankly. I think you have to go back to 2005 to find a smaller dman drafted in that range by us who became an NHLer (Stralman), whereas Gunnarsson, Holzer, and Pateryn have all been drafted since then, are 6'2+, and each played 200+ NHL games.

In our current prospect pool, pretty much Niemela and Villeneuve might have the best shot at making the NHL, and that's one small guy and one bigger guy.

All of that to say, I think the draft after the early/mid 2nd is a bit of a crapshoot, for both big D and smaller D. We're obviously hoping to find the next Muzzin, Gavrikov, Murphy, Gudas, Manson, Ekholm, Slavin, Parayko, etc, when we draft a big dman. It simply hasn't happened for us (with either big or small dmen).

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I mean, the highest drafted guy on that list was a 59th OA pick. Looking at smaller D we've drafted in that same range:

Tom Nilsson, Dennis Robertson, Jesper Lindgren, Hollowell, Loponen, Koster, Kokkonen, Fusco, Rindell, Max Everson, etc. Pretty crappy list as well frankly. I think you have to go back to 2005 to find a smaller dman drafted in that range by us who became an NHLer (Stralman), whereas Gunnarsson, Holzer, and Pateryn have all been drafted since then, are 6'2+, and each played 200+ NHL games.

In our current prospect pool, pretty much Niemela and Villeneuve might have the best shot at making the NHL, and that's one small guy and one bigger guy.

All of that to say, I think the draft after the early/mid 2nd is a bit of a crapshoot, for both big D and smaller D. We're obviously hoping to find the next Muzzin, Gavrikov, Murphy, Gudas, Manson, Ekholm, Slavin, Parayko, etc, when we draft a big dman. It simply hasn't happened for us (with either big or small dmen).
100% accurate

The past success or lack of for those guys has no bearing on these new guys finding their way, and size is, imo, a poor indicator of success

Just, superficially, emotionally, and pure dramatic fashion, I can't help but think back to our slow moving (but truculent!) fridges who didn't make it!

Reactions: SprDaVE

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
To be fair, Muzzin also missed a ton of time with injury and didn't sign with the team that drafted him because he wasn't good enough after 2 years of control.

That is the tough thing with these CHL defensemen with major issues. You only get them for two years, when they usually need twice that before they are seriously ready for pro hockey.

You could go Euro / NCAA route but man, it doesn't seem like the vast majority of Americans are in it for the long haul in Canada.

Euro guys sure they may be loyal but you're not typically getting the rougher customers.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Imo the most telling thing is that Hunter’s fridges couldn’t even make the AHL or euro pro leagues. I know it ultimately doesn’t matter that much if your pick ends up as a 2nd pair AHLer or completely flames out from junior but it does suggest we were taking shots on guys with massive holes in their game.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Reminds me a lot of Andrew Nielsen.
Similar but unfortunately Nielsen never improved his skating.

His skating is rough, offensive upside is low, and we don't have much control over him.

I don't think he is worth a pick, and I wouldn't be shocked if his rights lapse in two years.
Leafs draft this year overall has been underwhelming.

Should have swung on a goaltender, obscure European or overage player In round 6.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

2023 NHL Draft 1-on-1 - Noah Chadwick

Western Hockey League

5 hours ago

We caught up with Lethbridge Hurricanes defenceman Noah Chadwick after he was selected by the Toronto Maple Leafs in the 2023 NHL Draft.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad