Prospect Info: 2023 37th Overall Pick | RW Ethan Gauthier

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Gauthier really broke out this year and put together an impressive draft season. He started off hot with six goals and seven points in just five games at the Hlinka/Gretzky Cup. Gauthier lead the tournament in goals and helped Team Canada to a gold medal, making a real statement. He also put up 30 goals and 39 assists for 69 points in 66 games with the Sherbrooke Phoenix. Gauthier won the QMJHL’s Mike Bossy award as the league’s best pro prospect. He scored four goals and seven assists for 11 points in 11 playoff games. This off-season Gauthier was traded to the Drummondville Voltigeurs.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Seems like JBB went for the safe bet. As reports said, Gauthier might have lower ceiling than other guys drafted around his position, but he's one with the highest floor.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Howard and Gauither could be a great top 6 addition or never make the show. I hope to see them both someday!

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Seems like a safe pick, a guy who's game will translate well to the pros and particularly the pace of the playoffs.

Hammerlik

Feb 13, 2022
Per Bob McKenzie:
"Drummondville right winger Ethan Gauthier, son of former NHL defenceman Denis Gauthier, is No. 29, with a range between 18 and 38."

Seems like a decent player to flip in coming days :)

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

"I have three of four players that really look up to and try to model my game after," Gauthier said. "Obviously, the Tkachuk brothers. I really like them. I love their competitiveness and how they use their physicality to make plays offensively. And then, even smaller guy like Yanni Gourde is a great example of how I try to play. A small, gritty player that's good on the forecheck, good around the net and creates energy for his team.”
"For me, it's never really been about points," he said, acknowledging that side of his game took a big step this year, anyway. "For me, it's about working on my identity and developing my game for the way I want to play in the NHL.

"I want to be the most complete player I can be."

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Drummondville right winger Ethan Gauthier, son of former NHL defenceman Denis Gauthier, is No. 29, with a range between 18 and 38.

Craig Button's Analysis​

"Versatile forward who can play the wing. Wherever he plays, he does it with intelligence and competitiveness. Good skills, but his contributions are in multiple areas and significant. "

Projection: 2nd Line Two-Way C
Comparable: Robert Thomas
SkatingHockey IQCompetitivenessScoring TouchShot
4/55/54.5/53.5/53/5

Reactions: Stormbreaker

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Early in the season the EP Rinkside scouting room is a melting pot of conflicting opinions. We confront our views on each prospect with the goal of arriving at a consensus, eventually forming our first draft list in early December.

Gauthier didn't need a debate, we believed right away.

It didn’t take the right-winger long to show what he’s all about this season. At the Hlinka Gretzky Cup, where two of our scouts were in attendance, he imposed himself physically, drove the net, and launched pucks past goalies. While some of his teammates flashed more impressive individual skill, few were as effective.
“Gauthier has been the straw that stirred the drink on Canada’s top line,” wrote our crossover scout J.D. Burke in a report.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

google translated:
Mathieu Darche, assistant general manager and director of hockey operations in Tampa, has always known Gauthier. He faced his father in the NHL. And he saw little Ethan score against the teams he coached in minor hockey.

So when he talks about how much he and the Lightning scouting team love Gauthier, it's not just empty words.
At the recent NHL prospect camp, he had met just about every team… but not this one.

You had to see him smiling with all his teeth, a few minutes after his selection, to understand that his surprise came with great happiness.

"I couldn't ask for better! They have a winning team history; they have a good culture, an identity. They play with a lot of grit [combativeness], they play physical... It's the best feeling of my life!"
"As a competitor, you want to go out in the first round, to have the stage for you," he confessed. "But finding myself in an organization like that is better than the first round. There is nothing that beats that."
After the first round, he just crossed Mathieu Darche. Without revealing to him that the organization had him in his sights, the former Canadian simply told him not to worry about his draft rank. The Lightning is, in fact, an example of development across the league. Players drafted in the second (Nikita Kucherov, Erik Cernak), in the third (Brayden Point, Anthony Cirelli, Alex Killorn), in the fourth (Ross Colton), even in the sixth round (Nick Perbix) have become integral elements of the training.

The message has been received. Because Gauthier has promised to show up at training camp and show that he is “as good, even better, than players released in the first round”.

google translated:
“We are very happy, he was our target before the day, we like the player. I know his father is happy too, I could see him from where I was sitting, ”started Darche.
“I coached against him when he was growing up and he often scored against our team. Even in the atom, he was the hardest worker of his team and the character side remains very important for us. With Ethan, the efforts will not be lacking,” added Darche, who was well placed to remind him that draft rank does not matter.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Folks, we have our first official “the straw that stirred the drink” player reference. A hand everyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad