GDT: 2023-24 Western Conference Quarter Finals LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers @7:30pm 4/26/24 Series tied 1-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I'd take Huberdeau straight up for PLD if Calgary would. Yes I'm 100% serious. PLDs intangibles are that bad where I'd pay 2 million more to not have him around during a rebuild.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I think you might just have to hope PLD improves next season. Hopefully he has an attitude that he is going to come in everyday during the summer, work on his game and regain confidence in his own ability. He just looks like a player that doesn't believe in himself. His poor play and lack of confidence in himself is becoming an endless cycle resulting in his regression getting worse and worse. He probably won't ever be worth his contract but he should be at least a serviceable player, he shouldn't be this bad.

Hiller should just put PLD in front of the net on the first PP the rest of this series. It's where he had most of his success in Winnipeg and the PP isn't working anyway so we need to mix it up. For how much he likes mixing up 5v5 lines it's odd Hiller is staying consistent with the PP lines while it's not working. You don't really have much to lose at this point and if your lucky maybe it can inject some confidence into the PP and PLD.
Hiller is coaching for his job. The PP is 0 for the series. Why would he put Pierre on PP1 over Byfield?

This doesn’t seem to be the time to try and get a guy going by gifting him minutes. And I think Kopitar is net front on PP1, so whose spot is Pierre taking?

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Hiller is coaching for his job. The PP is 0 for the series. Why would he put Pierre on PP1 over Byfield?

This doesn’t seem to be the time to try and get a guy going by gifting him minutes. And I think Kopitar is net front on PP1, so whose spot is Pierre taking?
Well... he seems to doing a great job so far. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Lt Dan

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Well... he seems to doing a great job so far. :laugh:
All things being equal I’d rather see Hiller behind the bench at this point than Todd. At least it’s something different in a losing situation.

To his credit he salvaged the season and came in with basically zero expectations. He reminds me of Phoenix Copley.

And if we’re being objective, Blake made a better choice this time compared to Pitt Boss Willie. So, you can’t say he didn’t learn something from the previous incorrect major decision.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
PLD is not the reason the Kings are losing to Edmonton.

We can’t score or keep up with them offensively, Hiller refuses to play the 4th line and name me a team that won the cup that didn’t have impactful 4th line, the defense has been terrible, and the Kings are taking bad penalties and the refs aren’t helping.

Also, though Talbot has made some great saves he has allowed almost 20 goals in 3 games. That’s not Jonathan Quick circa 2012.

In addition, Blake had the Kings hand cuffed even before the PLD deal. AI, Kupari and Vilardi basically basically the same as PLD. So we were up against the cap anyways.

The amount of money given to PLD, Gavrikov, Kopitar, and Doughty baffle me.

Turcotte, Thomas and Clarke should all be playing. I was a big Matt Roy fan but he’s been invisible during the playoffs so you can basically slot Clarke in that spot next year. Ideally, you want someone more physical with Clarke. I would have pressed more for Chychrun and less for Gavrikov. Would give the Kings the chance to put Chychrun on the PP and occasionally play with Doughty.

The one bright spot, is the Kings pushed back physically but again, it all fell on Englund. They had the chance to pick up Duhaine, Maroon, Dewar, and Trenin at the deadline and instead did nothing.
“PLD is not the reason the Kings are losing to edmonton”

“We can’t score to keep up with them”

I stopped reading there man. In what world is an 8.5 million dollar center not the solution to that very problem? Good lord.

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
“PLD is not the reason the Kings are losing to edmonton”

“We can’t score to keep up with them”

I stopped reading there man. In what world is an 8.5 million dollar center not the solution to that very problem? Good lord.
Every player must earn their pay and the big problem is PLD is nowhere close to playing like a 8.5 Mill player

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Part of the problem is he has never been an 8.5 million dollar player. 8.5 million is too much. For a 60 point center he’s worth 5-6.5 million.

What we were supposed to be getting was a nasty center with intangibles. Instead he has zero fighting majors except for getting suckered by Hartman.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
It’s not just him no one else is scoring besides Kempe and Doughty.

At my job, when staff sees some bozo getting promoted and a raise despite everyone knowing he's undeserving, many of my coworkers (including myself) start to work less, become lazier and unmotivated

I know for a fact, that many humans are this way

The likelihood that some of those humans playing for the LA Kings is high

No matter what you say about the other players, PLD is a cancer and is undeserving of both his ice time and salary

Facts

Last edited:

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Its the tangential effect of Dubois that is just as much of a problem. They didn't have the cap to keep a full roster before getting lucky with Arvidsson's injury. They had to go cheap on goaltending and actually tax next years cap with easily achievable bonuses. They couldn't make any additions at the deadline.

Why on God's green earth are the paying him $8.5 million when he hasn't come close to earning it, he wanted to be here, and reportedly there was only one other interested party? Why lock up a known problem child to an max contract?

Who is scouting this player and deciding that he was worth that bloated commitment - and why hasn't anybody lost their job over that critical misjudgment?

Didn't they learn from the cost of the Kovalchuk disaster? From buying out Phaneuf? Didn't Petersen teach them that paying somebody a large salary before they had earned it?

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Its the tangential effect of Dubois that is just as much of a problem. They didn't have the cap to keep a full roster before getting lucky with Arvidsson's injury. They had to go cheap on goaltending and actually tax next years cap with easily achievable bonuses. They couldn't make any additions at the deadline.

Why on God's green earth are the paying him $8.5 million when he hasn't come close to earning it, he wanted to be here, and reportedly there was only one other interested party? Why lock up a known problem child to an max contract?

Who is scouting this player and deciding that he was worth that bloated commitment - and why hasn't anybody lost their job over that critical misjudgment?

Didn't they learn from the cost of the Kovalchuk disaster? From buying out Phaneuf? Didn't Petersen teach them that paying somebody a large salary before they had earned it?
In response to your questions, i'll ask one: how much does pat brisson figure into the overall decision making and the decision to sign this lad to this ridiculous contract? Brisson is really the only one of the beach party managemt group and its pal to benefit from this. I cant print what i think happened with the pld signing so i'll just say it stinks like hot steaming shit

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
At my job, when staff sees some bozo getting promoted and a raise despite everyone knowing he's underserving, many of my coworkers (including myself) start to work less, become lazier and unmotivated

I know for a fact, that many humans are this way

The likelihood that some of those humans playing for the LA Kings is high

No matter what you say about the other players, PLD is a cancer and is undeserving of both his ice time and salary

Facts
^This is true.

The Kings players see exactly what we see. They know how much he makes and who he was traded for. He's the highest paid player on the team starting next season.

It's terrible for team morale and creates resentment.

It zaps your energy knowing the work you put in on the last shift is gonna get cancelled out by a slacker

And they've been wanting him for a long time. They were interested when CBJ traded him, but couldn't pull it off.

It's almost like they didn't do their basic homework on him.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
W

Pat Brisson.

Luc and Rob could/should lose their jobs because of this.

FeartheFur

Jul 15, 2018
You guys are waaay to hard on this guy. 6’5” centers don’t grow on trees. He will get better if put in a position to succeed. PP time better linemates. For f***s sake he was playing with JAD.

• Wow

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It's cute you think the Kings actually scouted him and this wasn't driven by Robitaille and Brisson being buddies.

You guys are waaay to hard on this guy. 6’5” centers don’t grow on trees. He will get better if put in a position to succeed. PP time better linemates. For f***s sake he was playing with JAD.
"Wow, big bad wolf. What great height you have!"
"The better reach to hit you with my purse!"

He's literally played with everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad