GDT: 2023-24 Western Conference Quarter Finals LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers @7:00pm game 2 Edmonton leads 1-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I'm really enjoying the win, but TBH this series isn't any different than the previous two.

Kings get blown out in losses, but find a way to stick around by eeking out wins. Even strength play is 50/50 but we can't compete with them on special teams. Inconsistent goaltending from both sides.

Similar script so far and it will probably end with a similar result.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I'm really enjoying the win, but TBH this series isn't any different than the previous two.

Kings get blown out in losses, but find a way to stick around by eeking out wins. Even strength play is 50/50 but we can't compete with them on special teams. Inconsistent goaltending from both sides.

Last year, the Kings really had them though in Game 4 with that start, only to collapse the rest of the game and lose in OT. Should have cruised to a 5-2 win to take a 3-1 series lead. Instead, 2-2 going back to Edmonton, get rocked in Game 5, and then the close heartbreaker in Game 6.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Last year, the Kings really had them though in Game 4 with that start, only to collapse the rest of the game and lose in OT. Should have cruised to a 5-2 win to take a 3-1 series lead. Instead, 2-2 going back to Edmonton, get rocked in Game 5, and then the close heartbreaker in Game 6.
We also had them in 2022. We were up 3-2 in the series, and game 6 was on home ice.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I haven't thought about it, but it's admittedly genius.

You could certainly make the argument that it's pointing to Spence as our best dman, with the one caveat being he has also had more limited minutes.

But on the surface level, it's showing him to be the most positive influence when it comes to possession, shot share, expected goal share, high danger chances. It's especially impressive considering he's spent 20 minutes TOI with the worst performing defenseman in Englund.

Without Spence, Englund is basically lost at sea:
View attachment 859462
I would phrase it as being most effective in his respective role.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
We need Braveheart/ Rebel Yell Doughty every game

1714073862386.png

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
So ask yourself if youre the head coach, what is the one obvious thing that needs a tweak and what can be done about it...answer PP1 is a trashcan. If that cant be tweaked there is no way over the course of the series LAK can hang. They need to try something it cant get any worse than it is.

They have to start having a shoot mentality, doesn't have to be pretty just has to get the f*** through and in, goes to whomever, soon as he winds up for shot, whoe'vers on the offside, should be making a beeline for the net, the guy who has a one timer availbale, stays to keep the PKer's honest, by the time the release is through, you should have 3 guys at or around the net, EVERY single time.

Worst case scenario, wind up for the defemsennan's shin pads who's sitting to the outside, bank it in off his ass

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
They have to start having a shoot mentality, doesn't have to be pretty just has to get the f*** through and in, goes to whomever, soon as he winds up for shot, whoe'vers on the offside, should be making a beeline for the net, the guy who has a one timer availbale, stays to keep the PKer's honest, by the time the release is through, you should have 3 guys at or around the net, EVERY single time.

Worst case scenario, wind up for the defemsennan's shin pads who's sitting to the outside, bank it in off his ass
Get side net presence and then shoot for the Crosby/Malkin/Marchand/Tavares esque backdoor deflection tap in. Or play pinball like you alluded to and shoot it off your own guys and in or shoot it off the opposition and in. Goalies can't stop what isn't shot at them. Create your own luck by shooting for it.

Cannot understand why this isn't a legitimate strategy in hockey, I swear I could coach a team to a Stanley Cup by playing pinball and shooting for deflections/bounces/backdoor tap ins. And once the goalie starts cheating over, then pick top corner or short side for easier goals. Seems simple hockey 101 to me.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Just like SJ had us 3-0 in 2014... just sayin it seemed EDM rose to level the Kings couldnt match whenever it mattered.
When it comes down to it, Edmonton is the better team. It took smoke and mirrors to take them to 6 and 7 games.

These series against the Oilers have reminded me a bit of the Avs series where LA would just barely eek out wins to keep the series going.

So far, LA has 6 wins against Edmonton over these 3 series. Every single one of those wins was by 1 goal win except one.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

CarlSneep

Feb 26, 2023
Get side net presence and then shoot for the Crosby/Malkin/Marchand/Tavares esque backdoor deflection tap in. Or play pinball like you alluded to and shoot it off your own guys and in or shoot it off the opposition and in. Goalies can't stop what isn't shot at them. Create your own luck by shooting for it.

Cannot understand why this isn't a legitimate strategy in hockey, I swear I could coach a team to a Stanley Cup by playing pinball and shooting for deflections/bounces/backdoor tap ins. And once the goalie starts cheating over, then pick top corner or short side for easier goals. Seems simple hockey 101 to me.

Imagine what would happen to the player who starts telling his teammates that he's going to start shooting the puck at them all game

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA

Kings need to start winning the special teams battle to have a chance - Whoever wins special teams will win this series.

Currently the Oilers PP is sitting at 57% and their PK is 100%. Kings are lucky this thing is tied 1-1.

Bad news: Looks the same as the last two years
Good news: IF they can find a way to start potting a couple PP goals and be a little better on the PK, they'll win this series pretty easily

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Kings PO victories verse Oilers last 3 years:

4-3 (G1)
4-0 (G4)
5-4 OT (G5)

4-3 OT (G1)
3-2 OT (G3)

5-4 OT (G2)

Our last 4 playoffs wins against them have come in overtime!

We've been beating them by the skin of our teeth.

Reactions: tigermask48

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019
Kings PO victories verse Oilers last 3 years:

4-3 (G1)
4-0 (G4)
5-4 OT (G5)

4-3 OT (G1)
3-2 OT (G3)

5-4 OT (G2)

Our last 4 playoffs wins against them have come in overtime!

We've been beating them by the skin of our teeth.
Who cares how you beat them. Most playoff games are won by the skin of their teeth. I get what your trying to back up with stats, but just say “I don’t think we are good enough to beat the Oilers in 7” most on the board agree with you on that, not the we won’t win the series because the 2-3 games a series we do win, we barely do so”

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockeyville USA

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
When it comes down to it, Edmonton is the better team. It took smoke and mirrors to take them to 6 and 7 games.

These series against the Oilers have reminded me a bit of the Avs series where LA would just barely eek out wins to keep the series going.

So far, LA has 6 wins against Edmonton over these 3 series. Every single one of those wins was by 1 goal win except one.
Agree they are a better team - but I dont think the Oilers are a deeper roster overall which is where the LAK mgt has a flaw in their thinking. Having 2 of the top 5 players in the league allows them to have a lethal PP and stack a line at strategic points of the game. This is where the theory of having no top 50 scorers but a very deep set of fwds overall is flawed. This aligns with what Herby has been saying - you need some crown jewels to win a cup... 8 and 11 are paid like those, but arent functioning like that.

Reactions: tbrown33

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Went to bed at 3-3 thinking the Kings probably would lose but in Fact they Win It on OT with the Vet Anze Kopitar winning it picking the top right corner on Skynnerd 5-4...A thing of beauty!!! 1 Goal and 2 Assists for Anze while Kempe picks up 2 goals and Byfield 2 assists...good to see Fiala getting on the score sheet too scoring a ways out and fooling the Sieve in Net for the fricking Oil...keep shooting and good things will happen Kings

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Agree they are a better team - but I dont think the Oilers are a deeper roster overall which is where the LAK mgt has a flaw in their thinking. Having 2 of the top 5 players in the league allows them to have a lethal PP and stack a line at strategic points of the game. This is where the theory of having no top 50 scorers but a very deep set of fwds overall is flawed. This aligns with what Herby has been saying - you need some crown jewels to win a cup... 8 and 11 are paid like those, but arent functioning like that.
Aren't functioning like that...I beg to differ they were the difference the last game...the 2nd line are paid pretty well and have to get going cause we can't just depend on the first unit,Fiala and Drew to carry the whole thing...even Talbot has to play better,much better really...be nice to see the 'tender to steal a game maybe game 5 or 7

I thought Doughty’s highs were higher and his lows were far lower.

Spence though, consistently caught my eye in good ways. An assist from the point, solid board work, puck retrieval, handled Oilers forecheck quite well. I was surprised he only played about 15 minutes for all the times I noticed him.
Spence has picked it up for sure

CarlSneep

Feb 26, 2023
That goal by Fiala was, barring stuff like Quick deflecting the puck into his own net, one of the worst goals I've ever seen. What was Skinner doing?

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Aren't functioning like that...I beg to differ they were the difference the last game...the 2nd line are paid pretty well and have to get going cause we can't just depend on the first unit,Fiala and Drew to carry the whole thing...even Talbot has to play better,much better really...be nice to see the 'tender to steal a game maybe game 5 or 7
Great last night.. but 97 + Crysaitl (3rd and 7th in league in points) >> 11 + 8 (51st and 20th amongst D).. Kempe was the teams leading scorer 37th in league scoring. If 8 and 11 can play the rest of the series like last night then sure Kings could win

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Kings need to start winning the special teams battle to have a chance - Whoever wins special teams will win this series.

Currently the Oilers PP is sitting at 57% and their PK is 100%. Kings are lucky this thing is tied 1-1.

Bad news: Looks the same as the last two years
Good news: IF they can find a way to start potting a couple PP goals and be a little better on the PK, they'll win this series pretty easily
Nothing is easy friend this Series is going to Game 7 if the Kings can provide the Offense to get there

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Great last night.. but 97 + Crysaitl (3rd and 7th in league in points) >> 11 + 8 (51st and 20th amongst D).. Kempe was the teams leading scorer 37th in league scoring. If 8 and 11 can play the rest of the series like last night then sure Kings could win
I understand what you're saying but you can't find a MacSaviour and Draisaitl for that matter every day so we rely on our depth scoring through the line up...well 4th line can be excused,,,the Oilers can be beat just keep pumping shots at Sieve Skynnerd

Watched Sieve Skynnerd time and again crack in Juniors...he doesn't possess a strong mental attitude...Kings just need to bring their game

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I understand what you're saying but you can't find a MacSaviour and Draisaitl for that matter every day so we rely on our depth scoring through the line up...well 4th line can be excused,,,the Oilers can be beat just keep pumping shots at Sieve Skynnerd

Watched Sieve Skynnerd time and again crack in Juniors...he doesn't possess a strong mental attitude...Kings just need to bring their game
Skinner is def their achilles heel...so as some others have said, the strategy should be more shots on goal and not their usual perimiter passing it into the net. Still looking at the last 2 playoff losses to EDM, it came down to special teams - they totally schooled the Kings there. They will have to outscore them alot 5x5 to overcome the disparity on special teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad