GDT: 2023-24 Western Conference Quarter Finals LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers @7:00pm game 2 Edmonton leads 1-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlSneep

Feb 26, 2023
Kind of wonder if any of the matchups are going to change when the games go to LA. Right now it's been mostly Kopi/Draisatl, Danault/McDavid, Dubois/McLeod. I think Hiller will probably take those at home.

Maybe the defensive pairings will change, as Doughty has mostly been on Draisatl (although Drew plays so much that he plays against everyone) while Roy has been focused more on McDavid, with decidedly mixed results. Maybe you let McDavid do his thing if it means that you're burying Draisatl, which the Kings have done so far.

Reactions: lumbergh

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Doughty played 30 mins and said he was tired after the game. Doughty never said that in the previous playoff games.. Father Time comes for everyone huh

Reactions: kinghock

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
He's got a goal in two games?

Ya'll are bitching just to bitch. Be happy he's playing better than he was the first 82 games.
It was a lucky garbage time goal. Here are his stats. far from dominating. Far from the Game 83 player that the front office thought that they were getting.

1714061036867.png

He's been trash since he was acquired. Inconsistent, lazy and floating. He shows up every few games and goes back to floating.
Also note that he isn't showing up against the good teams, but the bad ones

1714061419560.png

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I was watching the TBS feed and none of the commentators said anything about the point of primary contact which was to the jaw. They showed the slo-mo replay from the side and it was shoulder to jaw. Obviously Danault was in a vulnerable position and set himself up for a heavy hit, but it was Hyman's responsibility to avoid the head and he didn't do it.

The SN replay is embedded here:

I'm sure the league isn't going to do anything, but by the books they should.
nah this is one of those that they've proven to get over and over again, you can go through a guy's head if you also go through the body

phil's head level is a factor to boot, but that's through the body, and only contacts the head because he's so low

no problem at all with that hit

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
It was a lucky garbage time goal. Here are his stats. far from dominating. Far from the Game 83 player that the front office thought that they were getting.

View attachment 859432

He's been trash since he was acquired. Inconsistent, lazy and floating. He shows up every few games and goes back to floating.

View attachment 859437
Dang that's crazy I don't remember saying he was dominating. I said he's playing signficantly better than he was during the regular season. If he continues to average a goal every other game and 7 hits a game I'll be quite happy.

This board was a lot better place 10 years ago before all the whiny cry babies showed up. Most of you guys just complain just to complain. Like that idiot who bashes on Kopitar because he doesn't fight and stand up for teammates.

Be happy we won. 1-1 going into LA, GKG!

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Zero problem with the Hyman hit, absolute beauty.

That being said if it were reversed there would be several articles on it this AM.

Speaking of...reading Oilers twitter and I don't smoke but I might need a cigarette, phew.

That feeling of winning game 2 is why we still watch eh.

And yeah Grundstrom must be re aggravated because his shift was nondescript.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Dang that's crazy I don't remember saying he was dominating. I said he's playing signficantly better than he was during the regular season. If he continues to average a goal every other game and 7 hits a game I'll be quite happy.

This board was a lot better place 10 years ago before all the whiny cry babies showed up. Most of you guys just complain just to complain. Like that idiot who bashes on Kopitar because he doesn't fight and stand up for teammates.

Be happy we won. 1-1 going into LA, GKG!
So from a 2/10 to a 4/10
He is being paid and was acquired to be an 8/10

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah not sure what people are seeing as 'off' with Spence. Can you be specific?

Because my eye test says he's been very very good and all the metrics agree

Roy and Gavrikov both have had moments where they don't appear to be on the same page

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Doughty played 30 mins and said he was tired after the game. Doughty never said that in the previous playoff games.. Father Time comes for everyone huh
I mean he has his work cut out for him, not to mention he played a full regular season while leading in ice time in just about every game, matching up against top lines. I had no idea that was his 1st playoff goal in 10 years, pretty wild.

@ least PLD is trending in the right direction but I definitely want to see more out of him. More from Moore too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Surf Nutz

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

View attachment 859432

View attachment 859437

In other words, you're probably never going to see PLD on this list:

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
I'm an idiot, but do you stats say that Spence has been our best d-man?

Also have you ever given any consideration to changing your username to Mr T. Brown33? You would have Carte blanche to say "I pity the fool..."
I haven't thought about it, but it's admittedly genius.

You could certainly make the argument that it's pointing to Spence as our best dman, with the one caveat being he has also had more limited minutes.

But on the surface level, it's showing him to be the most positive influence when it comes to possession, shot share, expected goal share, high danger chances. It's especially impressive considering he's spent 20 minutes TOI with the worst performing defenseman in Englund.

Without Spence, Englund is basically lost at sea:
1714064680259.png

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Englund was on an island of his own in separating himself from everyone else in how catastrophically bad and stupid his play was.

You sometimes wonder what the coaching staff is looking at when they decide to send a pylon like that on the ice without any second thoughts.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I haven't thought about it, but it's admittedly genius.

You could certainly make the argument that it's pointing to Spence as our best dman, with the one caveat being he has also had more limited minutes.

But on the surface level, it's showing him to be the most positive influence when it comes to possession, shot share, expected goal share, high danger chances. It's especially impressive considering he's spent 20 minutes TOI with the worst performing defenseman in Englund.

Without Spence, Englund is basically lost at sea:
View attachment 859462

Yeah it's certainly 'with respect to role' but that Spence is doing that WITH Englund, and Englunds stats without (when the only other times I see him out there are with Doughty) just shows how dominant he is as a depth guy.

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
Had a feeling Kings had the edge if it went OT. Good bounceback game overall.
Talbot not good again but just slightly better than Skinner, or should I say slightly less bad.

Edmonton's been slapping them around on the PP.
Kings have been bad against good teams, and their PK wasn't good going against good PPs.
I'm not confident this changes, but Edmonton obviously have their faults. If Skinner continues to suck, maybe the Kings have a fighting chance to make it interesting.

Englund was on an island of his own in separating himself from everyone else in how catastrophically bad and stupid his play was.

You sometimes wonder what the coaching staff is looking at when they decide to send a pylon like that on the ice without any second thoughts.
Because they obviously aren't allowed to play Clarke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad